Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 PM
rdunnill
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
And I offered mine. Now run along compensator.
The Dyna has a smoother ride and is better on the freeway, provided no sudden turns or stops are required. It is thirsty (40 mpg), however, and requires more fuel stops than I would like. It's not much bigger than a Sportster Custom, however, and in fact I once confused an FXDC with a 1200C in the Eastside showroom. I bought it for the smooth ride, bigger tank and six-speed transmission, not to compensate for any perceived lackings.

My thrifty 883 Superlow, in contrast, gets 50+ mpg, and with its 4.5-gallon tank, can go places the Dyna can't. It is also more stable, has better handling and stops quicker (in no small part due to anti-lock brakes). It has a rougher ride, however, and due to the high back of the Mustang seat, won't accept the Solo Tour Pak rack I purchased way back when for the Nightster.

As for the Nightster, which I traded in for the Superlow, not only did it have a harsh ride, it wasn't much better than the Dyna, fuel economy-wise, and the low fuel light came on at 95-ish (versus 150-plus on the 883). That meant frequent fillups and short range, which would block me from taking it into remote areas. And, for some reason, it had significantly more handlebar vibration than the Superlow, and my hands were constantly numb from that.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Now thats the way to make a comparison without belittling another mans preference in bikes.

Ive talked a lot of smack over the years about BTs but ONLY AFTER someone else has disparaged my preference in bikes. And thats a VERY common occurrence on this forum.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
Now thats the way to make a comparison without belittling another mans preference in bikes.

Ive talked a lot of smack over the years about BTs but ONLY AFTER someone else has disparaged my preference in bikes. And thats a VERY common occurrence on this forum.
I didn't think MikeZ was disparaging Sportsters. Just saying don't spend a bunch of money on it, and then end up going to a bigger bike. I think you overreacted, because you are sick of people disparaging Sportsters, which I agree happens on here a lot.

I am a big beleiver in MYOB, when it comes to other people's bike choice, including if they want to ride a metric. We are all lucky that we get to ride bigger bikes than the 125ccs people fit their whole family on overseas.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:24 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rdunnill
The Dyna has a smoother ride and is better on the freeway, ...

My thrifty 883 Superlow... is also more stable, has better handling and ...
I'm curious: in what way is your Superlow more stable than a dyna? I have an XL1200L and have been drooling over the Dyna Low Rider.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:39 AM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

And that's how I upgraded to Street Bob from Iron - sat on it at first. Than demo ride. Than test ride. Than found used meant one with 80% of upgrades I wanted - and now I'm selling my Iron. For me it's way better bike all around, twisties and freeway. Parking - is where Iron was so much easier to push around
And yes - looks similar, just bigger

Originally Posted by wachuko
Forgot the second part... Softail Slim... sweet, sweet bike...

The changes I mentioned will fix the issues you currently have with the 48... but nothing will fix if you have a thing for the Softail Slim... I went to the dealer about a week ago and sat on one about 6-7 times... I walked away from the bike (I was waiting for some paper work for the RK I just got) and kept coming back to the bike to sit in it and get a feel for it. Pretty bike, it is a softail so you get a 5 gal tank (more range), easier to ride due to the center of gravity in comparison with the Sportster, looks old school....

Another bike that looks more like a Sportster is the Street Bob... but I like the Softail Slim more...

Anyway... it was a miracle that I simply walked away... I love my 48, but man I was tempted with that Slim...

Street Bob - in my eyes, this is the one that looks more like a Sportsters than any of the bigger HD bikes... so if you are looking for that style, you get better range, better balanced bike, great comfort with the stock bars... you could possibly get away without making any changes. But we all know that we can't leave them stock.... This one has slim front wheel and foot pegs. More black parts in the engine, which I think looks better... less expensive than the Slim...

Softail Slim - cleaner look in my opinion since you do not have the side rear shocks visible. And you still get that old school look. Same as the Street Bob, better riding range, more comfortable to ride (more so than the Street Bob). This one has a fat front wheel and floorboards. Engine/tranny not completely blacked out like in the Street Bob...

You should have given it a bit more thought... if you try to go back to trade for the bigger bike you will take one heck of a financial hit...

Old 09-17-2014, 10:59 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

ok, here is my opinion for what it worth and keep in mind I weigh 170lbs, which can make a big difference ...I had a dyna streetbob (08) and it rides about the same as sportster, even with the rear springs set at the softest setting... awhile back I had a 2000 softail standard, the ride was better (a little softer) than the streetbob and it handled great, way better than either a sportster or a dyna..BUT I hated the balanced motor, it was so smooth you almost couldn't tell it was running and at 75 or so mph the handlebars buzzed to the point of making you hands numb...they both have their strong and weak points...right now I have a 11 road king classic and it is absolutely the best bike I have ever had, smooth ride, fast, handles great (for a tourer), lots of room for both me and a passenger, good gas mileage (42 on the hiway), I can cruise all day long at 75 and get off and not even be tired, I am talking 600+ miles a day....All that said I also have a 00 sportster 883 (now a 1250) that I love and ride the crap out of...it is like a big dirt bike, fast, nimble and fun...to improve the ride I first adjusted the shocks to the softest setting (remember I weigh 170) which helped a lot, but I came across a pair of rear road king shocks (guess where I got them) which I put on the sporty, I don't add any air to them and the ride is almost plush now, HUGE improvement....I say unless you are bent on the other model bikes, just change the shocks and see what you think..I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the improvement...the touring air shocks come in different lengths and I would buy the shorter ones (used) off of a roadking classic or streetglide (at least I think that is the tourer with the shorter shocks) .....

Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM
izhd
Road Master

bikes are like girls
and people take the same offence if somebody would talk sh#t about their girlfriend.

for me it's a hobby and passion, so if I fell in love with the bike - I had to get it. If I fell out of love with my previous bike - I let it go instead of making it into something it is not. Just my approach for girls and bikes

Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by izhd
bikes are like girls
and people take the same offence if somebody would talk sh#t about their girlfriend.

for me it's a hobby and passion, so if I fell in love with the bike - I had to get it. If I fell out of love with my previous bike - I let it go instead of making it into something it is not. Just my approach for girls and bikes
Easier to change the bike than the wife... but I get what you are trying to say

Old 09-17-2014, 02:39 PM
izhd
Road Master

I did both, but yes - bike is much easier

Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by izhd
I did both, but yes - bike is much easier