Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please, Electrical Issues 1988 Hugger XLH

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM
charlieapes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe pre-2003 doesn't have fuses, my 2000 had breakers. I would have said check the battery line. No light or any electric pretty much rules out the coil and regulator. Then the ignition.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 PM
xclent 883 Hugger
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thank you both so very much. Yes I got my manual today in the mail and I only have circuit breakers. No telling where to start I am starting to feel overwhelmed but I will figure this out. The nuts connecting the wires to the circuit breakers do look corroded and even though I have a new battery I am getting no power to lights or horn when ignition is turned on. I have hooked up a trickle charger overnight. I am frustrated and don't really want to start tearing the bike apart. I think I will check the ignition to battery method you mentioned first.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xclent 883 Hugger
wow, thank you both so very much. Yes I got my manual today in the mail and I only have circuit breakers. No telling where to start I am starting to feel overwhelmed but I will figure this out. The nuts connecting the wires to the circuit breakers do look corroded and even though I have a new battery I am getting no power to lights or horn when ignition is turned on. I have hooked up a trickle charger overnight. I am frustrated and don't really want to start tearing the bike apart. I think I will check the ignition to battery method you mentioned first.

Must be contagious
Exact same thing happened to my 88 sporty Sunday.
A good samritan came along with a trailer and towed me for free. When we got to my house He wouldnt take any money. He also happens to be a mechanic. He is fixing my electrical issue becuase I am sick of dealing with my bike problems.

A 26 year old bike is not always a joy to own

Old 09-17-2014, 10:55 AM
xclent 883 Hugger
5th Gear

Duker…please let me know what your mechanic determines to be the problem and how he fixed it on your 88 Sporty. It sucks just looking at mine in the garage. Been reading the Clymer Manual this morning and gosh there are so many electrical items to check….any of many could be the culprit.

Best of luck on yours.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:04 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

it seems to me that I remember something about the main breaker going bad sometimes and needing to be replaced...it was a long time ago, anyway I would check there for resistance through the breaker, there should pretty much be none...

Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

….bike lost all electrical power and died. Would not restart, no lights etc.
I got it loaded and towed home and installed a brand new battery thinking that would solve it. Oh no to my surprise, no power no lights no starting it….
The nuts connecting the wires to the circuit breakers do look corroded and even though I have a new battery I am getting no power to lights or horn when ignition is turned on.
Don't allow yourself to get distracted! If you have no power to anything, then those circuit breakers are very unlikely to be the problem. You need to identify a total power failure, as already suggested, as your battery power is not getting distributed around the bike. There are two basic things to check: power supply cables and wiring from the battery; power and wiring at the ignition switch.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:22 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,645 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfikser
it seems to me that I remember something about the main breaker going bad sometimes and needing to be replaced...it was a long time ago, anyway I would check there for resistance through the breaker, there should pretty much be none...
My 1991 had a factory recall on the main breaker.

John

Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 AM
xclent 883 Hugger
5th Gear
Exclamation

So a friend came over to help and upon his suspicion of the issues and after we used a multimeter, he removed the clutch adjustment cover from the primary cover to smell it for a burnt smell which indicates a burnt out /ruined stator. and bingo burnt electrically metallic smell and we drained the clutch fluid and it was a dark grey color. a new stator has been ordered. will keep you posted

Last edited by xclent 883 Hugger; 09-18-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:06 AM
RicRides
Intermediate
Default Location of Circuit breakers on 89 sporty

I am putting the finishing touches on an 89 sporty restore/project. I can not find a good description or picture of the circuit breaker locations for the bike. Can anyone tell me where to find that kind of info.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by RicRides
I am putting the finishing touches on an 89 sporty restore/project. I can not find a good description or picture of the circuit breaker locations for the bike. Can anyone tell me where to find that kind of info.
The short answers to that is your factory service manual. What if anything have you used to help you do the work on your bike? Someone with a similar bike will be along soon!

Quick Reply: Help Please, Electrical Issues 1988 Hugger XLH