Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Iron 883 Bogging while at low RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Fishahkat
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Iron 883 Bogging while at low RPMs

Hey guys, first time owning a fuel injected bike and I'm stuck. Was riding home the other night and got stuck in a downpour. Bike started bogging right after I would shift up into the next gear. It would bog for a minute and then break free from the bogging. Now it does it every time I am not accelerating. It doesn't do it when I have it opened up on the highway either.

Tried sea foam and pulling the air cleaner off to see if there was anything in there. Looks alright. Pulled the plugs off today and they don't look burnt out or anything either. Any help would be great!

Old 09-16-2014, 04:28 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Check for diagnostic codes, there's a "how to" Sticky thread at the top of this section.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Fishahkat
Bike started bogging]
I'm not from your side of the pond, what the eck is "bogging"?????

Old 09-16-2014, 04:41 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Trev
I'm not from your side of the pond, what the eck is "bogging"?????
Like when twisting the throttle open and the bike looses power instead of accelerating.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishahkat
Hey guys, first time owning a fuel injected bike and I'm stuck. Was riding home the other night and got stuck in a downpour. Bike started bogging right after I would shift up into the next gear. It would bog for a minute and then break free from the bogging. Now it does it every time I am not accelerating. It doesn't do it when I have it opened up on the highway either.

Tried sea foam and pulling the air cleaner off to see if there was anything in there. Looks alright. Pulled the plugs off today and they don't look burnt out or anything either. Any help would be great!

What you describe is exactly how a bike will act with an open filter element (like in your picture) in heavy rain. But it should no longer be doing it after the element has dried out.

I would try cleaning your filter and re-oiling it. Then get a rain sock for next time you are riding in heavy rain.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 AM
gar187er
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as soon as I saw the picture of the bike, your air cleaner got wet. if youre going to be out in the rain, get a sock for that thing!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:28 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

it doesn't sound like a wet air cleaner issue to me, but it is easy to test, just take it off and run it around the block and see if it gets better..like the other guy said "check for codes" and get back to us..I guess it could be a dirty air cleaner, but that would prolly cause issues at higher speeds (which you are not having)...maybe try unplugging the plug on the intake and give it a good look at, grease it with dielectric grease and put it back together...that's all I got....like I said earlier check for codes that should tell you a lot about what is going on...

Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 AM
Fishahkat
Stage IV

P0132 and P0134 - Front Oxygen Sensor issue. So, does this imply the oxygen sensor is **** or my plug is toast?

Thanks again for the help guys! Got the sock for the air cleaner. I will note that I was not planning on getting stuck in the rain...

Old 09-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Don-T
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe there is just a bad connection in one of the plugs in the wiring harness. Try unplugging the harnesses and cleaning them. When you put the plugs back together add some dielectric grease to them.

I think the reason it is ok at wide open throttle is because at WOT the ignition and fuel are not based on input from the O2 sensors. The computer is using a data table to determine ignition and fuel needs because the motor needs more fuel and timing for peak power. I hope I am giving you bad information but this is the way many automotive systems work that I have tuned in the past. As these are ICEs too I imagine they are similar.

Last edited by Don-T; 09-19-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 PM
Fishahkat
Stage IV

Thanks Don, I'll try that this evening. Makes sense though. Stupid computers, I'm going back to a Carb!!

Quick Reply: 2012 Iron 883 Bogging while at low RPMs