The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Can't friggin wait!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can't friggin wait!

My 195/60/16 Yoko Avid Ascend shows up tomorrow, got my front E3 yesterday, and my Dunabeads last Saturday.

I'm itching so bad to get the bald *** tires off and my new darkside on!!! I've been planning this for months and finally after losing 2 jobs in 6 months, my house in the next week or two.... The only sanity I have left are my bike, and dog (which sadly may need to be fostered for a few months till I figure out my housing).

Just can't wait for a breath of fresh air and knowing I've got fresh meats and a bike that will handle like a dream again! Just thought I'd share. Will post pics when it's done!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:10 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,840 Likes on 8,408 Posts

It's gonna take a few hundred miles to break in the tire so it doesn't feel so squared, but you're still going to love it.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

So... after going down to the independent who said he would put it on thursday..... and him telling my why he suddenly couldn't (despite doing it for hundreds of others and for the guys who referred me there....) I went to my usual independent and spent 15 bucks more, not a big deal, and got em mounted! They did my E3 front (which I won on ebay for 120 bucks), and yoko rear...

First impression pulling out of the driveway, THIS THING IS TOTALLY UNDERINFLATED!!! Then went down the road a little and to my buddies house to watch the Kings game. I was trying to stay positive about it, but had regretted doing it after the initial. It was more so that I wasn't used to it yet. Turning was immediately akward. I had to force it and it felt like a flat mc tire. As if I could feel the sidewall flex. I had my buddy ride it, cause he was curious and I wanted to see what the tire was doing when he turned. So, he went up and down the street, a few left/right swoops (like when you warm up the tires), a few u-turns and circles. That sidewall wasn't moving at all. Just the tread. Anyways, I've got about 6-700 miles on it now. It's been about a week, and I'm loving it. My only complaint is I'm getting a " bagger wobble" starting at about 85ish and gets worse as I go up. straight line, turning, doesn't matter. My old tires were so bad that it did it all the time so luckily I know how to maneuver with it still. I need to play around with the air pressure and see if that will help, maybe add another ounce of beads or take off the stickies. My buddies say when he sees it on the freeway, it comes from the rear first. My rear was set at 36psi. I used DynaBeads for the balancing, but the indy left the stick-ons on there. I don't believe that's causing an issue. Other than that, and the little bit of tracking on crowned roads when splitting lanes or coming to a stop. I have no reason to ever go back to an MC tire. I'm taking turns faster, leaning more, and scrubbing the front tire completely. Not just halfway past those little harley logos like I previously was. And to make things better, we've been in the worst drought since the 1800's here in CA, and 7 miles into my brand new meats... its rains for 2 days, and this is my only mode of transportation. Plus I had a ride the following morning. In terms of rain traction.... MAN! This thing hooks! If I left off the clutch normal and then pin it WOT, it sticks the whoooole time. I can even do a mild launch! My brother I was riding with, couldn't keep up at all even rolling onto it after a take off it would break loose. And he just put on a Pirelli Night Dragon in the beginning of October. The only other complaint I have is when I'm jamming on it after making a turn, and I shift while still leaning a little, it wants to stand up for that brief second I'm shifting, giving me just the smallest bit of a wobble before I'm back on the throttle. but nothing unmanageable. I guess just annoying because of how aggressive I ride.

The only thing I may do different, when I change this tire out, is to try a run flat. the sidewall on my tire is only a two ply and taking turns under 15 it feels like a low pressure mc tire. Like its shifting on the sidewall. My brothers behind me say that sidewall isn't moving at all and I've seen my bike turning at low speeds and know it doesn't. I'm extremely pleased with the traction, handling, stopping power, responsiveness and just overall ride. I don't feel potholes and bumps as much as with my MC tire. I'm an extremely aggressive rider too. I refer to my throttle as an on/off toggle switch. I'm just a WOT guy just about everywhere. around town, freeway, not in parking lots or neighborhoods, but damn near everywhere else. It may not have the flickability in the canyons, but I'm yet to try that. I feel like it'll be fine if not quicker.

Overall. I recommend to anyone in need of more traction, if you've got the power. Or anyone looking for more life out of a tire. It's definitely not for everyone. Some people give me **** for it, others embrace it. For me, I'll take it! a few pics to follow soon!

Old 11-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

How do I upload photos from the mobile site? The pics are on my iPhone.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:35 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Glad it worked out for you...
My experience has been much like yours, while my car tire on the rear is not perfect it better overall than a motorcycle tire. I do not have any bagger wobble at all though and I have had the car tire up past 110!
Just wait till you try an emergency stop! That rear tire will grip the pavement something fierce.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Glad it worked out for you...
My experience has been much like yours, while my car tire on the rear is not perfect it better overall than a motorcycle tire. I do not have any bagger wobble at all though and I have had the car tire up past 110!
Just wait till you try an emergency stop! That rear tire will grip the pavement something fierce.
Sweet! Glad I'm not the only one! What pressure are you running on what tire? If I can get rid of the wobble, It'll be back to business as usual. And I might add. No noticeable difference in fuel mileage or power loss/drag at 100+ speeds.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,840 Likes on 8,408 Posts

Told ya you would love it.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:46 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by popeyeBACA
Sweet! Glad I'm not the only one! What pressure are you running on what tire? If I can get rid of the wobble, It'll be back to business as usual. And I might add. No noticeable difference in fuel mileage or power loss/drag at 100+ speeds.
I run mine between 34 to 36 psi cold. Lower pressures give a cushier ride but make the handling sloppier. Higher pressures give a harder (more motorcycle tire like) ride but seems to handle better....

Old 11-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Rusty19MCSFV
Cruiser

That sounds about right. The dealer set it at 36psi cold. I'm thinking I'll have to bump it up a little more maybe to deal with the sidewall flex as I imagine that's what's causing my wobble. I'll have to give it a shot as soon as I get a chance to. I'm in the middle of moving and have been caging it around with all my crap.

Quick Reply: Can't friggin wait!