The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Trying to understand and learn

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Just Nick
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Trying to understand and learn

Ok I just found this section and I have had customers have me install car tires on there bike I never understood why just always thought it was because they are cheap asses. But looking around in here I am wrong (not the first time) so in your experienced eyes what are the reasons you guys go to the darkside . And how does it corner because the car tires are square so how does this work guys. And if you go "double Dark" how does it corner. I am going to come up with a lot of questions Gents so go ahead and just answer anything you can think I will come up with. This is a interesting subject and I see you all as the pros so on dark siders.

Thanks Just Nick

Old 08-13-2016, 10:56 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Reasons to go Dark. (In no particular order)

1) Softer / smoother ride.
2) MUCH better stopping power.
3) MUCH better in the rain.
4) Lasts much longer than stock tires.

Bad things about going Dark.

1)Takes a little more muscle at slow speeds (such as parking lots).
2) On uneven pavement where the lip is almost parallel to the tire, the tire will abruptly jump up / down due the square shoulders. Not a huge deal, but disconcerting the first couple times it happens.
3) There is a learning curve, but it really is no big deal.
3) Spontaneously combusting, going straight to heck, having your friends all spit on you and your kids change their names so that nobody knows they are related to you does smart some. At least those those were the kind of things non Dark Siders told me would happen...

Here is my ongoing review of my Dark Side experience.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...ng-review.html

Old 08-14-2016, 12:16 AM
staleyc806
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

PFWiz is correct. In addition, if you look at all the old bikes, they all had "square" tires on them and they worked just fine. With that being said, you do not want to buy the cheapest car tire you can find, buy a good quality one with at least 2 plies in the sidewall. You will spend a third of the money and get 10 times the mileage. Last MC tire I had was $350 installed and it got me almost 7000 miles. CT was $150 installed and I had put 30000 miles on it and had plenty of tread left when I traded the bike in. The $100 per month I was spending on MC tires is no more. Most of those miles were 2 up and lots of gear to boot...and yes, it handled the Dragon and all of the other twisty mountain roads in TN and NC with no problems at all. CT with 3 oz of beads is all you need. Take the money you saved and pay for the motel rooms and enjoy! You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by staleyc806; 08-14-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:22 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I put one on because I got tire of the expense and low mileage of the motorcycle tire. It really didn't feel that much different because of the 200 on back anyway. Me and the wife went to Tenn. and N.C. and we rode with plenty of confidence. I think it actually cornered better. My only draw back is coming out my lane. It is dirt and gravel and the back tire doesn't slip and it seems to push the front end around.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:09 PM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Higher load capacity. When we load up to go camping and are towing the camper along, it is nice to not be overloading the tire.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:40 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,838 Likes on 8,407 Posts

I went to the CT because it looks cool too.
My motor is a 107 build with over 120H/132t. It would burn through rear tires in 4K miles. This tire as you see it in the picture has over 8K miles on it. It grabs a whole lot better than an MT.