The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Is there an FAQ for the CT threads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:42 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Is there an FAQ for the CT threads?

Ive looked but haven't seen a post about general information in regards to putting a car tire on the rear. Id just like to graze thru some other peoples thoughts and ideas as to what they have experienced. Im getting pretty close to needing to buy a rear tire and would like to be as educated as possible. From what Ive read so far it seems that everyone running one is happy with them. Id just like to cover all my bases and make a well informed decision. I mean it seems like its a no brainer. less cost and more mileage.. But where is the catch?

Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Well of course there is a catch, there is always a catch.

If you put a car tire on your bike you will spontaneously combust. Everyone knows that (well everyone who has never ridden with a car tire). You will also need to invest in a good quality rain suit because all the people who have never ridden a Dark Side bike will spit on you. You will be drenched! The good news is it kinda helps with the spontaneous combustion thing.

Actually there is no catch other than having all the know it alls tell you how it can't possibly work. It does handle a little different than a MC tire, but what did you expect? In reality it is no big deal you just need to get used to it.

Other plusses you did not mention include it stops better than a MC and there is no comparison at all in the rain.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:42 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm not afraid to spontaneously combust. I do it every time I see my wife nekid. My only problem is deciding on which tire to try for my '14 Fat Lo? So many decisions but it'll be this summer for sure. That and find someone to put it on. The only indy I know won't do it. Something about bursting into flames?

Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 AM
jessultra
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

don't see your year on there but maybe you could do some figuring out
http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires&m...y&year=&rider=

Old 03-24-2017, 05:23 PM
08Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've replace my tires myself and the car tire was by far the easiest to put on. I use dyna beads for balancing. I have not found a reason to go back yet.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The place I buy tires for my truck and car is also the place I got my car tire for my fatboy. They installed it. Those new tire machines don't touch the wheel except where hold the wheel. I didn't have to pull the rotar or belt pully.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
I'm not afraid to spontaneously combust. I do it every time I see my wife nekid. My only problem is deciding on which tire to try for my '14 Fat Lo? So many decisions but it'll be this summer for sure. That and find someone to put it on. The only indy I know won't do it. Something about bursting into flames?
There is one Indy in N. Idaho that won't mount any tire, unless you buy it from them. Not hard to do it yourself and just use Ride-on for balancing.

The following users liked this post:
ILMFBL (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:47 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,919 Likes on 8,432 Posts

Basically, the ride will be like any new bike is, different until you get used to it.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Discount mounted my first one for me, but won't do anymore, go figure. Did the last one myself, wasn't too hard.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:43 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default another option

I've got a car tire dealer in my area that doesn't mind mounting tires on motorcycle wheels. The only drawback is he has no way to balance them.

Quick Reply: Is there an FAQ for the CT threads?