The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Gone to the Dark Side - Ongoing Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 11:17 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
the arrow is on the tire for braking and execrating forces, if u run a rear tire on front it should be in the reverse direction.
why, can you explain more

Old 11-09-2016, 05:09 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Battle Axe

I've said this before on here, but this fits in very well with the topic.

I have run at least a half dozen Battle Axes on the front of my limiteds.

I always noticed that they got a lot of rips in the rubber. I had to change a couple of them out because the rips were so deep even though they still had good tread on them.

I started mounting them in the backwards from the arrow and the last two haven't developed the first rip.

It could be totally unrelated, but I'm going to continue to mount them in that direction until someone proves the other way is better.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:13 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

Was riding today .. something hit my buddys Blackbird .. tore a hole in his radiator ... what ever it was flew off his bike .. landed in the road. I saw it swerved ... missed with the front tire hit it with the back .. a mile down the road I felt the old wobble and it was mushy. Moral of the story .. An America Elite will be coasting me $286 at a local shop plus installation. That cost alone has made up my mind. Next tire will bring me back to the Dark side. Was running them on my Winds and on my VTX. $100 less for the replacement and at least 3xs the mileage .. even with the small effect on handling .. its well worth it. Problem is I need to find someone to put it on for me. Hoping my Indy will do it for me as local Harley will not.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:04 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts

There's a good chance that a metric dealer will do it for you.

Until I started changing all of my own tires, I used the Yamaha dealer to put the car tires on.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:41 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,898 Likes on 8,425 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy
Was riding today .. something hit my buddys Blackbird .. tore a hole in his radiator ... what ever it was flew off his bike .. landed in the road. I saw it swerved ... missed with the front tire hit it with the back .. a mile down the road I felt the old wobble and it was mushy. Moral of the story .. An America Elite will be coasting me $286 at a local shop plus installation. That cost alone has made up my mind. Next tire will bring me back to the Dark side. Was running them on my Winds and on my VTX. $100 less for the replacement and at least 3xs the mileage .. even with the small effect on handling .. its well worth it. Problem is I need to find someone to put it on for me. Hoping my Indy will do it for me as local Harley will not.
Putting a CT on a motorcycle rim is very easy. You can probably do it just a couple of tire bars. Use Ride On to balance it and be sure to remove the stick on weights from the wheel.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:55 PM
LX2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Putting a CT on a motorcycle rim is very easy. You can probably do it just a couple of tire bars. Use Ride On to balance it and be sure to remove the stick on weights from the wheel.
I'm thinking (from experience) if planning on installing a RF, you'd need a tire changer (machine) and I've always used 3-4 oz of Dyna Beads and had great luck balancing.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:23 PM
justbike1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always use RF tires, definitely need a tire machine they are stiff and I have found 4 oz of beads balances perfectly

Old 01-17-2017, 02:25 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been searching for the "right tire" for a good little while now. So far, the Kumho 205/60 17 has caught my eye. They got good reviews from the GW guys.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:11 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I mount my own. Not hard to do!

The following 2 users liked this post by ranger351w:
Imrayzor666 (02-13-2018), saafrican (03-28-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
KS_Gunny
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted both front and rear tires myself.. I used heavy duty zip ties and dish soap with a little water.. Search you tube for videos.. A pair of tire spoons and a cheap plastic that you cut on to protect counters between the rim and spoons will get the old tires off... I did mine on a piece of old carpet... I use ride on for balancing

Gunny out

Last edited by KS_Gunny; 02-23-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Gone to the Dark Side - Ongoing Review