The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Taking the plunge to the Dark side - Opinions requested

Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Taking the plunge to the Dark side - Opinions requested

First off thanks for all the useful info posted on "The Dark Side" forum. It has been very informing to say the least. Anyway I have been debating going to the "Dark Side" for quite some time and finally think I am ready for the challenges ahead but would like to try to keep them to a minimum.

The first thing I was hoping to get from the resident experts is an opinion on my tire choice. I really like the tread pattern and from what I have read the reviews are good on the Michelin A/S Sport series. UI was able to special order this tire from my local Sam's club and beat shipping costs. Total out the door is about $170. I have access to a manual style tire mounting machine so there will be no labor costs there.

Second would be beads or Ride-On Sealant/Balancer. I am currently running beads in my rear Metzler and like the performance as well as not having to worry about weights falling off but also understand "the Dark Side" may be a little different. Never tried Ride-On but the concept makes sense to me. Thoughts/Opinions?

Lastly would be the break-in. I am looking at getting the tire next week and will have 2 days of local riding to break it in prior to heading to Milwaukee for the 110th Celebration. I have read about gradually lowering tire pressures to about 32lbs or so but what should I start at?

Little more bike info for what it is worth. I have an 09 Ultra with Progressive 440s in the rear and Monotubes in the front. 96" motor with cam mods. More in my signature but dont think it matters.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I use ride on but in a MC tire and have no issues...many of my friends use Dyna beads in CT...2 days before a trip??? i hope you have time to tweak....If it's a long distance it will be fine because mostly highway miles...Don't over inflate, my buddy did this on is first CT on a Goldwing and wore out the middle part of the tire in about 12000 miles, the outer parts were fine...Good luck.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I am very pleased with the performance of Ride On in my CT. (G-Max 205-55-16) The bike rides smooth as silk up to 80. (as fast as I have had it yet.)

Old 03-29-2015, 07:27 PM
ct.russ
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a ct on a Honda shadow 1100 rat rod...took a hell of a time to set the beed ... first ride out was a little short of scary ..I bit on every nook and crany .. turning was hard .. took a lot of body English ... but one you get your tire pressure diled in .. used to pushing down and pulling up on the bars .. youre good to go ... I couldn't carve .. it never could .. I ran a chepo town fair tire .. but I went along with the rest of my biker friends ... just my input ..

Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 PM
08Fatty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Dyna beads in Metzlers and did the same with CT. No difference that I can tell. Never tried ride on so can't say about that. Give the CT a few hundred miles to get used to it, it is different, but not in a bad way.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,827 Likes on 8,403 Posts

It will be the highlight of your bike.