The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Looking to move to the darkside

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:54 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
it's called a winter sport. Not a "snow tire". It's made to grip in lower temperatures and has a deeper tread, which should mean longer life.

Really good tire.

Interesting. I'm assuming that its fine in the summer? How long have you had it? Mileage? Mount it yourself?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Alpin

Originally Posted by tsigwing
Interesting. I'm assuming that its fine in the summer? How long have you had it? Mileage? Mount it yourself?
I mount most of my tires, but this runflat kicked my butt. There is a Yamaha dealer locally that mounts tires for about $20. I let him do the runflat.

The tire is fine in the summer. I've got about 10K on it and it looks good. I think it will out do the SP5000. I got 19.5 out of it and hope to get closer to 25K out of the Alpin.

I can't get more than 13K out of a stock rear.

Once you try that, put a Bridgestone BattleAx on the front. Only get the one that says "For Rear use only". My last one cost $105 delivered and they last for over 20K. Handle very nicely too.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
tsigwing
Tourer

I ran a Pirelli RT66 rear on the front of my last Yamaha, so I am familiar with it. There are a lot more options for a CT for the rear on this Harley than there were for my Yamaha.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
ISLANDER1089
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 13king
I read your add and I appreciate all your knowledge what year is your bike and I'm looking for info On if anyone pulled a trailer
In June of this year I had my local Yamaha dealer install a Michelin 205/55-16 R car tire on my 2009 Street Glide. I was preparing for a 7600 miles bike trip and was pulling an Aspen Classic tent trailer. About a week before leaving I thought I should hook up my trailer and do a dry run just to see how it all worked together.
All was good until my speed hit 55 mph and above. At this point the trailer started wagging back and fourth. The lightly loaded trailer probably weighed about 400 lbs. and I was going to be hauling closer to 500 lbs. I tried increasing the speed. I tried changing the tongue weight by shifting the load. I tried different tire pressures on both the bike and trailer. I could not get rid of this dangerous wagging. Since I had had no problems towing the same trailer behind my 2004 Dyna Low Rider I figured that it was my car tire. I ordered a Metzler bike tire and my problem was instantly solved. The trailer tracked straight as an arrow.
Bottom Line: if towing a heavy trailer do not install a car tire because the side walls are too soft which produce a dangerous tail wagging problem.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default towing

so what Michelin was it? I doubt you can really make a blanket statement about towing from the one experience.

I would think a run flat may take care of that issue.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

so what Michelin was it? I doubt you can really make a blanket statement about towing from the one experience.

Or maybe increased air pressure in the rear tire...

Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM
ISLANDER1089
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car tire I had used was a Michelin Primacy MXV4. I chose it because of it's long wear and it's claimed superior handling on wet pavement. Until I hooked up my trailer it was a wonderful riding tire at any speed. I am thinking about buying a used rear wheel so I can put it back on when I'm not towing.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Richy8302
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This place is awesome!! I was at Walmart 2 weeks ago buying oil/filter and started looking at slim car tires to put on my 88 FLSTC, the new back tire I put on sat cost me 368$ from the dealership. I wonder if I can make one fit? I never pull a trailer, but do ride 2 up. Tires for my crown Vic only cost 88$ a piece, motorcycle tires and other parts are a rip off.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default Good idea

Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089
The car tire I had used was a Michelin Primacy MXV4. I chose it because of it's long wear and it's claimed superior handling on wet pavement. Until I hooked up my trailer it was a wonderful riding tire at any speed. I am thinking about buying a used rear wheel so I can put it back on when I'm not towing.

I bought a new takeoff set of wheels. I love to have two new mounted tires waiting for me. It's really nice to be able to take off across country at any time without having to bring a wheel in to mount a new tire. Also, it makes it where I can change my own tires, because I have plenty of time to do it.
There are a ton of reasons to have a spare wheel. If you do it, you'll love it.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM
tsigwing
Tourer

Originally Posted by ISLANDER1089
In June of this year I had my local Yamaha dealer install a Michelin 205/55-16 R car tire on my 2009 Street Glide. I was preparing for a 7600 miles bike trip and was pulling an Aspen Classic tent trailer. About a week before leaving I thought I should hook up my trailer and do a dry run just to see how it all worked together.
All was good until my speed hit 55 mph and above. At this point the trailer started wagging back and fourth. The lightly loaded trailer probably weighed about 400 lbs. and I was going to be hauling closer to 500 lbs. I tried increasing the speed. I tried changing the tongue weight by shifting the load. I tried different tire pressures on both the bike and trailer. I could not get rid of this dangerous wagging. Since I had had no problems towing the same trailer behind my 2004 Dyna Low Rider I figured that it was my car tire. I ordered a Metzler bike tire and my problem was instantly solved. The trailer tracked straight as an arrow.
Bottom Line: if towing a heavy trailer do not install a car tire because the side walls are too soft which produce a dangerous tail wagging problem.

I put a car tire on my last bike specifically for towing my time out camper. No problems. I will put a car tire on my new bike specifically for the increased load capacity of the ct. I never experienced any issues on my last bike, certainly don't expect any on this bike.