The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Went Double Dark and loving it

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Went Double Dark and loving it

Just completed a 48 state in 10 day run and just before I left I put a Bridgestone BattlAx BT45R 130/80-17 on the front of my 09 Ultra to compliment the already existing Michelin 205/55/16 Sport on the back. I put 8800 miles on the BattlAx in just under 10 days, riding everything from back road twisties to the canyon concrete in Arizona and the tire looks totally new. I now have 30k miles on the rear Michelin and almost 10k on the BattlAx. Couldn't be happier with the double dark combo.

For all the nay sayers, don't knock it til ya try it. The saying "Once you go Dark you'll never go back" is true in my book.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:07 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Cool beans....

Still loving my CT.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default DDark

I've been double dark for about a year and I agree. I couldn't find anything negative to say about the BT45. My last one made it for over 20K. I usually get 15K from a stock front tire.

It's a very reasonably priced dual compound tire too. I've seen were people that live and ride a lot of mountain roads and ride them aggressively don't like them too much. The softer compound on the sidewalls wears out when you are on the sidewalls all the time.

For me, they are very good though. The more slab riding you do the more value you can get out of the Battleax's.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 AM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the info. Been thinking bout going double dark. I'll most likely give it a try. Went double on the last Jap bike I owned, had no issues. Just had to mount the tire in reverse order.

SugsPa

Old 08-16-2014, 09:07 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a rear tire? I searched for one but could only find a 120 front.
I have been running a G-Max for a couple of years and love it.

Great info.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 PM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHProadkill
Is that a rear tire? I searched for one but could only find a 120 front.
I have been running a G-Max for a couple of years and love it.

Great info.
Yeah it is a rear tire compound that works excellent on the front. Really sticky and great compliment to the CT on back.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

AFAIK- And I have an entire thread in here on it, I was the first softail to go Dark. Others followed and became believers, but sadly, there are only a couple CT's that fit the 3" rims.
Regardless, I tried the Stones, Pirelli's, and Dunnies on the front and they all failed to live up to the traction of the CT in back.
Saw a LOT of very positive reviews on the Shinko 777's on Motorcyclesuperstore, and dropped that $82.00. For 8k, I LOVED it! TOTAL TRACTION even when wet!
Now running a REAR 777 and it's looking very longevic, same traction, smoothness, and unbeatable price.
Oddly, with our riding style, my first one still had the center tread...the SIDES were wore out; a testimony to grip.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...&sz=w1892-h807

Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 PM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

Thanks. I'll look into the Shinko's to. Probably have to do the front soon.
Rear?? I don't know when I'll ever run it down as it's wearing like iron.

FYI...I mount my own tires using Static and Beads to balance. Forgot to mention it's G-Max rear.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I used beads before, but switched to RideOn, since it balances dynamically AND seals flats on the go.You could hit a nail-filled board and never feel a thing from any air loss.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

I'm going to use RideOn next tire change. I normally ride alone and there are a lot of desolate areas between Florida and California especially at 3am. For safety I carry a pump/plugs/sealant but would feel better with the RideOn.
Anyone use or look into Run Flat Tires? They wouldn't have the dynamic balancing that I would want. Just asking.

Thanks again for all the great info.

Quick Reply: Went Double Dark and loving it