The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
Fp3 is a good concept and really does work well inside its limits. I am not an expert on bike tuning but I have had plenty of cars dyno tuned to know that the factory narrow band sensors have a limited view/range on what they are capable of tuning. Any hard throttle will push the map into open loop which runs the computer on a predetermined tune which means your bike is running on a tune that is only as good as the guy wrote it without seeing your bike.
Agree 100%. Also, what happens in the closed loop (where he is going to spend most of his riding time) If he makes those changes and the AFR in the pipes goes to (just for example) 17:1 or 12:1 the narrow bands can't read it. How can the FP3 make changes in auto tune to the VE tables if the AFR is outside of the range that the narrow band 02 sensors can read. I'm betting it won't work all that well.

Guys spend $20 thousand dollars on these bikes and then skimp out on the few hundred dollars it takes to have them professionally tuned. Laughable.

The best money he will ever spend will be with a competent independent tuner.

Last edited by oleboy; 03-16-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:53 AM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

There is a thread someone posted about using the FP3 and taking it to a tuner. The tuner was able to see all data from the tuner and had the owner of the bike make the changes to his FP3. When I say changes, it was very minor. The base tune the guy had to work with was exceptionally close to where it needed to be.

I have a 2014 Breakout. SE breather, V&H Short Shots, SE_204 cams with FP3 tuner. My bike has never seen the dyno. It has never been tuned by anyone else than the FP3. 10,300 miles and counting. 0 decel pop and pulls hard. If you're looking to do stage3 or less, I wouldn't leave the FP3 out for the same exact reasons the OP stated. I didn't want to bring my bike to get tuned every time I changed something and I wanted to see the data myself.

Hope this helps. Good day!

Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 AM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...l#post13984478

Page 2, post 15. Took me a while to find it.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:41 AM
cgmartine
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

oleboy, I don't mean to start an argument with you, but when someone spends some twenty thousand dollars on a bike, I would think we should demand, or at least expect, that it would run like a fine tuned machine right out of the box without having to send it back for a dyno. I would not expect any less from a car I bought, so why would I expect any less from a new motorcycle? Or is it that our expectations have been lowered when it comes to a Harley-Davidson product? Twenty thousand may be peanuts when compared with the cost of a dyno, but why would I dyno a brand new bike, unless of course, I totally changed all the basic equipment it came with so that it no longer works or resembles what came out of the factory? No offense, just my two cents!!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
oleboy, I don't mean to start an argument with you, but when someone spends some twenty thousand dollars on a bike, I would think we should demand, or at least expect, that it would run like a fine tuned machine right out of the box without having to send it back for a dyno. I would not expect any less from a car I bought, so why would I expect any less from a new motorcycle? Or is it that our expectations have been lowered when it comes to a Harley-Davidson product? Twenty thousand may be peanuts when compared with the cost of a dyno, but why would I dyno a brand new bike, unless of course, I totally changed all the basic equipment it came with so that it no longer works or resembles what came out of the factory? No offense, just my two cents!!
No offense taken. I believe the fellow said he was changing the breather and the pipes (changing equipment) and as a result looking to buy a tuner?

Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by UHDhog
There is a thread someone posted about using the FP3 and taking it to a tuner. The tuner was able to see all data from the tuner and had the owner of the bike make the changes to his FP3. When I say changes, it was very minor. The base tune the guy had to work with was exceptionally close to where it needed to be.
That was me that tuned the bike for robbyville. He bought all his mods, installed them along with the FP3, then contacted me AFTER all his autotune runs were completed wanting to know if i'd see what/if I could do anything better. I was curious about the FP3 so I said sure, bring it in. I admit I was somewhat impressed that the FP3 did a halfway decent job of getting it dialed in, I was not familiar with the software and being a dyno tuner working from a small tablet was a real pain. I basically ran the bike and let Rob make the adjustments. We made some decent improvements from how it was when he showed up. In the long run it will do the job of most of the other flashed based tuners, but I wouldn't do another full tune with one, at least not for the same price that I tune the others.

Old 04-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cgmartine
Stock bikes are calibrated (tuned) to the amount of air flowing through them, in HD's case the choking point is the A/C, as soon as you change the amount of air entering it you throw the whole tune out of whack. I agree that you demand/expect a perfect running bike for what we pay for them. But you can't demand the same if you change parts. i.e. I can't take a stock bike that was engineered for 75 HP, rebuild the top end and get 120 HP out of it and blame the MoCo if the crank goes bad.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:05 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LEEROYWILLY
Hey guys! I'm getting closer to picking up my new Wide Glide next month. (fingers crossed and praying) I have a few questions for you guys before I get it. I want to get rid of those weed eater exhaust ASAP, they just ain't right I think I want to go with the Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 and an undecided air cleaner, and I don't know if I want to go with the Vance and Hines FP3 with the autotune feature for $399 and have the ability to view and tweak everthing on my phone via bluetooth or have the dealership tune the bike on their dyno for $???? and not have the ability to view or tweak anything without going to the dealership. I know what the dealership wants me to do, but what do you guys think? I'm sure the FP3 will be more cost effective, but I am unsure what the dealership charges for their tuner plus the dyno tune. Also, is it common for the dealership to possibly throw in a few accessories for the bike for free when negotiating the deal? lol
I can tell you my stage 1 (I also installed the Vance and Hines 2 into 2 with a SE heavy breather) on my bike and I bought the SE Race tuner and had the dealer do the dyno work. No complaints at all, but expensive. Now I am doing a stage 1 upgrade on another bike and the Harley dealer recommended the FP3 instead of the Harley race tuner (FP3 was not available when I did my first stage 1). Cheaper (and in their honest opinion, better). So that is the way I am going to go. Getting the bike back sometime next week. Take this comment as you see fit, it's your bike. My dealer is awesome, great guys who are knowledgeable and honest, have had lots of work done there (and bought multiple bikes) I trust them.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:32 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Food for thought, you mention you know what the dealership wants you to do. Now if you're talking a new bike with a warranty, what will your dealer do when they find you did a FP3 vs do what they recommended? Some dealers will have an ax to grind and call HD to report the person who put the unauthorized tuning device on their warrantied ride. HD will reward you by flagging your powertrain warranty.
That's why you take the FP3 off of the bike before you take it in for service to the dealer. They will know the bike is tuned, but there is no way to know how it was tuned (unless you stupidly leave the FP3 plugged in). You will have no warranty issues this way.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:59 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by riknbeth
That's why you take the FP3 off of the bike before you take it in for service to the dealer. They will know the bike is tuned, but there is no way to know how it was tuned (unless you stupidly leave the FP3 plugged in). You will have no warranty issues this way.
If it alters the PN of the factory download, that is all the proof they need. You would have to name the flash from the FP to the same PN as the factory download.

Quick Reply: No Device: Vance & Hines FP3 or Dealership dyno tune