The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: 2002 Heritage w/510 cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:51 PM
atrailblazer
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Heritage w/510 cams

I've upgraded to the S&S geared 510 cams to get rid of the stock cam chain tensioners. Since upgrading, I've noticed I have a higher idle. What ECM/fuelpak/etc. would people recommend? I do have a stage 1 air cleaner and Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs w/o baffles. Thinking about adding baffles because they are sooooo loud. That was cool when I was 26. Now I value my hearing. Anyone had similar mods to their bikes? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

You should enjoy the 510's but why the high idle?

Was there a change in the ECM calibration by the people who installed them?

As far as which tuning device to use, you will get opinions from everyone. Seems the best rule is to use the one that your tuner uses and likes. If you are going to tune it yourself then take some time to read posts and discussions on "which tuner". It's an opinionated subject based on subjective experiences.

What I found to remain constant is, don't buy it because it's cheap. Buy a tuning device that will fit your needs for today and the future modifications. Since you have a 2002 and no on board 02 sensors you will need to discuss this with a professional tuner anyway. He should be able to point you in the proper direction.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree with Wiz 100%. I recommend researching tuners in your area, find one with a solid reputation and go with the tuner he recommends. Any tuning device is only as good as the person using it

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Wizard (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 PM
atrailblazer
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
You should enjoy the 510's but why the high idle?

Was there a change in the ECM calibration by the people who installed them?

As far as which tuning device to use, you will get opinions from everyone. Seems the best rule is to use the one that your tuner uses and likes. If you are going to tune it yourself then take some time to read posts and discussions on "which tuner". It's an opinionated subject based on subjective experiences.

What I found to remain constant is, don't buy it because it's cheap. Buy a tuning device that will fit your needs for today and the future modifications. Since you have a 2002 and no on board 02 sensors you will need to discuss this with a professional tuner anyway. He should be able to point you in the proper direction.
Thanks both for the advice. Nothing was changed with the ECM when cams were installed. It's always been a high idler IMO but after the cams it went higher. I did get a dealer flash in 2004 to compensate for the ac and the exhaust....way before the cams. I guess I will just ask around here about a good tuner guy. The dealership here is not very impressive IMO so I am hoping to stay away from them.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Wizard (04-24-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Check for intake leaks. I had high idle at around 1600-1700 rpms as a result. It also caused an IAC error. Tightened it down and high idle went back to normal.