The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Dyno issues

Old 04-30-2016, 11:19 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vdop
I try not to publicly talk **** about another's business but... what i read was not a "technical explanation". It's a bunch of nonsense. All I read was "I don't know how to properly use a flash tuner, get a power commander". First rule would be never trust a tuner that recommends a power commander or auto tuner. I have dyno sheets from bikes that have been to the dr. Some need a surgeon afterwards.
I just used the quote because to me it was a good explanation, so I guess we both took away something different from it.

A power commander, power vision, Sert should all be used by (especially if that's what the person has). I won't begrudge someone because they'll tune with it. Take the OP for example. He mentioned a 250i I think, which are also used with power commanders (piggyback) as well and power vision (ecm flash) when tuning (tuning link). Are some better than others? Sure.. But it doesn't mean they are ****, or a tuner shouldn't utilize them. .

Also what would be wrong with using a wide band auto tune kit to ensure that that the map you're running (whether it's a dyno, canned map, or otherwise) stays consistent thought any changes in your environment?

The following users liked this post:
mirrmu (04-30-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 2,132 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyryder
You should probably do one or the other. Why would you apply additional changes to what they've already done? You may even end up running too rich.

I would pick one and run with it. But not combine the two.
Ok, thanks. Looking at the tune they provided the only thing that changed was the TBW VE tables. The AFR tables were unchanged from stock. If it was incorrect of me to change the AFR tables, then I will revert to stock and do the auto tunes. My problem is I don't know enough about the details.

So today I'll revert to the stock tune with your suggested AFR mods and run the autos when I can. We have rain here all week except for Tues, so I'll see if I can get it done then.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2016, 06:44 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by jackddg22
I know it will be a little far for you, but Dave Stoddert at Pocono HD has a very good record. Long waiting list too. Have a appointment in the beginning of June to jet my Hot Rod Sportster tuned there If I can get it back together by then.
My Low Rider (with your old bags) really responded well with a set of Feuling 252 cams, Bassani Road Rage 2-1's and a power vision with Target Tune. Fuel Moto sent me a map that I am completely happy with. Have not got it tuned other than that.
Jack
Thanks Jack, I appreciate the info. Glad the bags are working out for you!

Old 05-01-2016, 07:09 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by izzyryder
A power commander, power vision, Sert should all be used by (especially if that's what the person has). I won't begrudge someone because they'll tune with it. Take the OP for example. He mentioned a 250i I think, which are also used with power commanders (piggyback) as well and power vision (ecm flash) when tuning (tuning link). Are some better than others? Sure.. But it doesn't mean they are ****, or a tuner shouldn't utilize them. .
There's nothing wrong with tuning what the customer already has, I was referring to recommending a pc over quality flash tuners.
A 250i is the dyno model.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vdop
There's nothing wrong with tuning what the customer already has, I was referring to recommending a pc over quality flash tuners.
A 250i is the dyno model.
Gotcha. Totally agree with that.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Mirnldi@gmail.com; 05-02-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Dynojet got to the bottom of the licensing issue. It seems they had a server problem and the shop never did apply a new license to my PV, as Dynojet saw the license credit still applied to their account. The shop is refunding me the $199. So that's good. The shop also asked me to come back so the can re-tune once they fix the tach issue.

Still have a bad taste in my mouth from the whole experience, but I suppose everyone deserves a second chance. I'm still deciding.

In the mean time, I also let Dynojet know that the tune then sent me didn't work for me. They asked me to send them a copy of the stock tune which they modified and sent back. Basically they left the VE's stock and changed the AFR tables (sounds familiar?) and a few other things. Limits, throttle blade settings, etc.

So I'll auto tune that a few times until I get on a dyno somewhere.

mirrmu (05-04-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 07:07 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Jamie at Fuelmoto took pity on me and sent me a tune from a FXDLS he tuned for a 2:1 pipe. Jamie said it would be close. I found it to be an excellent tune and ran it for a week after a couple auto tunes.

The original shop then asked me to bring it back for a re tune yesterday. Got it back and took it home. Tbh it felt a little better then when I brought it in. Which could have easily been optimism. When I asked them what they wanted on the PV, the factory tune, or the Fuelmoto tune I was currently running (they knew of Fuelmoto) they said it wouldn't matter since they would build a completely new tune.

Still, no printout lol. Said while they got a good tune (again) they couldn't get a printout for whatever reason. I was told they would give me a printout run once they were able.

So when I got home I loaded the tune that they loaded to my PV into winpv and had a look. With the exception of the VE tables, identical to the Fuelmoto tune that was on the ECM when I dropped it off.

So at the end of the day I got updated VE tables applied to Fuelmotos tune, and no printout.

I bet the dyno operator they have just doesn't know any better. Sad.

I won't be going back to this shop for dyno work again. It's a shame, because they have been good for everything else I've had done there. I guess some places are good wrenches, but don't have the finesse for the details of tuning.

I'll be finding a new shop for a new tune at some point.

Last edited by Mchad; 05-15-2016 at 07:10 AM.
mirrmu (05-15-2016)