The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: lean vs. rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:06 AM
tafdeluxe
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 13 Posts
Question lean vs. rich

I owned a '04 Heritage EFI with V&H big shots staggered with regular baffles. I don't the exact temperatures but I never felt the heat from the engine/pipes like I do with my '11 Deluxe with same pipes but with the quiet (should be called quieter) baffles. On hot days, it can be, not unbearable, but uncomfortable. I'm not as worried about my comfort as much as slowly cooking my engine. The bluing on my pipes goes considerably further than on my Heritage pipes too.

Although the staff at V&H have assured me their map will provide the appropriate mixture I was concerned. This concern motivated me to use the Autotune feature on the FP3 V&H Fuelpak. The Heritage was "chipped" at the dealer to match the pipes. I did two rides totalling about an hour and applied the learned values after both rides. Performance dropped considerably and I flashed in the V&H map for my pipes and baffles. My performance is back to a good level. After I thought, I'm sure the engineering staff V&H have put more than a little time and effort into getting their map right. After all, they are looking to sell the product so it better work.

I'm seriously considering an oil cooler to deal with my heat concerns. My question for those in the know, all other things being equal, what would be the difference in temperature in an engine run at its leanest to its richest mixtures? It was suggested to me that enriching a lean mixture to an appropriate mixture will not drop the temperature significantly.

Thoughts?

Old 07-22-2016, 07:53 AM
tafdeluxe
Cruiser

Thanks to the moderator for redirecting my post to the dyno room! Come on tuners. Enlighten me.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by tafdeluxe
After I thought, I'm sure the engineering staff V&H have put more than a little time and effort into getting their map right. After all, they are looking to sell the product so it better work.
Auto tune in their product should also work as they designed it??

Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM
V&H_McNab
Former Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When doing Autotune did you ever have a chance to select 'Finish'? Keep in mind that during Autotune several optimizations like cranking fuel and accel/decel enrichment are off and the AFR is set such that the O2 sensors get a quality reading. This creates some nagging issues while in Autotune sometimes that will persist until you 'finish'. When you hit apply it's only storing the data so that it can continue learning. When you hit finish you'll see the full benefit.

Hard to say about the temperature question... On a bagger temps in the 220-340 range are within spec but it's heavily dependent in environmental and riding conditions. Richening the mixture can have a positive effect on temp. but like you said I wouldn't expect anything dramatically different from what you're getting with our base map.

The following users liked this post:
tafdeluxe (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 AM
tafdeluxe
Cruiser

Yes, I did "Finish" but I just felt the throttle response was better with the V&H map. Thanks for addressing my question!