The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: issues with my MAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:31 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

PC 5 can in fact use the DJ auto tune with widebands, yes. That would be the ticket IMO or simply a full blown tuner that utilized the stock narrow band sensors.

Yeah 104 makes for a not so comfortable ride.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 PM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK here is the deal currently. Even though assistance here in trying different FP settings improved things a lot, It still would not run as well as I wanted. It runs rough through all rpm ranges. So I broke down and bought the Power Commander 5. Downloaded what I would say is a very close download for my configuration. Headers and mufflers are different. Fired it up, and guess what. Still runs exactly as bad as it did with the fuel pack. RPM is jumping 200 RPM, popping out the pipes while on throttle. Now I am wondering what could be causing this issue now. It started when I had the new heads installed. I put the new MAP in at the same time, so I have been thinking it must be the Tuner, but now that I swapped out tuners and it runs the same, I am now starting to think something mechanical is wrong. Gonna pull the plugs in the morning. I probably will simply replace them as I have no idea what happened when they installed the heads.maybe they dropped the plugs? Gotta get this running as I have a long ride to do on Sat. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in changing out the tuner and spending all that money, only to find it runs exactly as bad as it did before. Not a very happy camper right now.

Last edited by Diverrick; 07-29-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:54 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

Sounds like you need to go back and check the basics. Compression check, fuel pressure check, spark plugs, intake leaks, etc...
Just to be picky- you keep referring to a MAP. Generally, when in capital letters, a MAP refers to the MAP sensor. (Manifold Absolute Pressure)
A map (small letters) refers to the tables of a tuning device.
Don't expect to find a canned map that will run decently with your setup. Only an experienced tuner can develop a map for YOUR setup. Most tuners would have suggested a quality flash type tuner instead of a piggyback unit. However, a good tuner should be able to tune the PCV to run acceptably with your mods providing there's nothing mechanical wrong.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:57 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

PCV is an excellent device and was mentioned that it was already ordered so didn't bother with a flash-based tuner recommendation.

I agree with jbarr1 and your own assessment; something is wrong mechanically that needs to be found. Check the intake area for leaks, check the exhaust connections at the heads for leaks, me personally would unplug the tuning device(s) then plug your o2 sensors back in and see what she does.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Diverrick
Tourer

OK I checked for leaks at the intake by spraying starting fluid around the mating areas, and exhaust by using a match around the mating areas, and all is good there. I will try plugging in the O2 sensors and see what happens. I will have to get a compression tester, as I don't have one yet.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Diverrick
Tourer

I was wondering if the people who installed the injectors into the heads, could have done something to mess this up like this? I will keep you guys posted as to how this all ends up.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

just curious. did you install cams at the same time heads were installed or have the cams been in there for a while?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Diverrick
I was wondering if the people who installed the injectors into the heads, could have done something to mess this up like this? I will keep you guys posted as to how this all ends up.
injectors are installed in the top of the throttle body housing.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:56 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Diverrick, if you can't figure out your tuning/running issue(s), before leaving for a big trip at least get it to a qualified experienced tuner to put it on a dyno and measure/diagnose running issues and retune as necessary.

I believe there is are misconceptions concerning canned maps ASSUMED to be proper for a build will produce expected results.

First, IF you have EXACTLY the build (especially CAMS and EXHAUST) a canned map SHOULD, but certainly not always, get the bike to run acceptably, or at least good enough to get it tuned properly using proper measurement and evaluation tools.
Second, IME there is NO SUBSTITUTE FOR A PROPER CUSTOM TUNE for your bike and its ideosycracies...you won't regret it.
Bob

Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

I believe canned maps are based on, or should be based on, an ECM with the AFV's being reset to zero. Without the AFV reset, the maps are pretty useless and cannot be expected to have anywhere near acceptable results.
I completely agree with FLTRI17's comments above.

Quick Reply: Other Devices: issues with my MAP