The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: V&H FP3 vs TTS/Kuryakyn Mastertune 2

Old 07-29-2016, 07:12 AM
zigzag930
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default V&H FP3 vs TTS/Kuryakyn Mastertune 2

I am narrowing down my choices of fuel management for 2016 RGU and trying decide if the FP3 or Mastertune 2 is a better choice.

At the moment, 4.5 RC slip-ons are done and a new header pipe and/or catless OEM are planned next. Header is a whole 'nother discussion, but I do also like the thought of Rush HO duals.

I don't know if I will ever do cam's etc., but wouldn't want to throw out my fuel management and have to buy again.

Looks like the price diff is about $130-140, so not a big issue. I'm computer literate and mechanical, so I don't need "simple", I need best bang for the buck.

So if I understand, both systems are similar in that 1) I can store my factory ECM load, 2) load a "base map" that is close to my configuration, 3) auto-tune the bike.

Are there any significant features of one system over the other? Do either of these allow more than one configuration at a time? Ie. A performance load and a economy load to co-exist, which can be easily flipped? (I sort of doubt it, but good to ask right?)

Seems like my local dealer is pushing FP3 (they don't sell the Mastertune 2), but I see a lot of professional tuners seem to like the MT2.

Not trying to get lots of fanboy responses based on what they bought, but would really like to know from anyone who's is familiar with (or has owned) both products and can make a factual comparison.

Thanks to all.....

Old 07-30-2016, 04:39 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Just one example but I bought an FP3 and replaced it with a Power Vision and wished the TTS had been cheaper over here or I had dug deeper in the pocket and bought it anyway.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:47 AM
zigzag930
Advanced

Can you explain why you decided to switch? That is what I want to avoid. I don't mind paying the extra $100 or so, but only if there is a reason to do so.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,411 Likes on 1,566 Posts

The best advice I can give is to go to both manufacture web-sites and download there software and manuals. Install everything and read through them both and see if that shows you the differences your looking for.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:06 PM
Nitro-Fish
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak for the FP3, but I went from the early style Fuelpak to the TTS and there is no comparison; I understand the later (FP3) is an improvement over the early models, but the TTS is one of, if not the best tuner on the market IMO. Spend the extra and get the TTS, I think you will have a much better tool (product) in the end; you (or your tuner) will have much more control over the parameters you can adjust..

Old 07-31-2016, 04:05 AM
Sarhan
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTS or PV with no regret

Old 08-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zigzag930
Can you explain why you decided to switch? That is what I want to avoid. I don't mind paying the extra $100 or so, but only if there is a reason to do so.
Sorry for the delayed response.
I did a stage 1 with V&H 3" slash cut slip ons and as I recall that was ok but not as exciting as others seemed to suggest. I tried some autotunes but the V&H base map seemed to work better.
  • FP3 didn't autotune the 0% throttle column ??
  • Canned V&H maps had silly high VE values in the 0% column from 2000 revs (and I don't think chucking fuel in the engine is how you fix decal pop - of which I have none)
  • You can only do anything, outside, with the FP3 plugged into the bike, and with the bike switched on ...which is a real pain if you are checking stuff, or manually trying to build tables.
  • There are no canned maps remotely close for any new cams
  • I didn't think their new cams feature worked, it didn't make any difference to my attempts at tuning my 57H. V&H tech support originally told me I didn't need any changes for that cam over stock ...which I now know is obviously just wrong.
Because I struggled getting the new cams tuned in I had to build my own map from scratch, which presented the following challenges...
  • Not being able to look at or edit your tune unless it is plugged into the bike is a real pain
  • Not being able to download tunes to your computer to modify or compare with previous autotune attempts is a real pain
  • There is no logging (although they are supposed to be working on that)
  • There is a gauges display, but only 18 signals available, but 3 of those are not worth it - Power (a guess), Torque (a guess), an Economy thingy (who knows) - they have only just added target AFR and injector duty cycles, but there is no CLI, AFF, new VE values, or Knock events
Finally, I don't care what anyone says but editing tables in the App is nowhere near as good as the programs that come with Power Vision and TTS. Apps are silly little things for doing silly little things ...they are not full blown software programs ...would you write your report in a word processing App on your mobile?

They need to add more signals and provide data logging, including knock events to allow some spark tuning.
They also need to make it useable offline - connected to your computer so that you can copy tunes on and off so that you can manually edit them or compare them to each other.

But then again, it depends what you want, and that was obviously just my 2c

Last edited by Gordon61; 08-01-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 AM
zigzag930
Advanced

Excellent explanation and will likely be significant reason for me to go with master tune over fp3. I am a profs software engineer and will take functionality over simplicity every day. I was getting the sense that all those using fp3 were happy because it was simple and had a cool iPhone app. I don't care about Bluetooth iPhone apps and will give that up for better ability to examine tables offline and tune the most parameters. I will want auto tune to work properly and that too is high on my priority list.
Thsnks

Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,373 Likes on 1,581 Posts

One other note: The original fuel injection downloads/Screamin Eagle Race Tuner were products of TTS, so they have more experience than anybody else in the HD arena. My first choice, every time.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

PS ...I never got that far but I don't know if the FP3 can scale the CI or cap the VE tables if they exceed 127

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Device: V&H FP3 vs TTS/Kuryakyn Mastertune 2