The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision License Scheme

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Power Vision License Scheme

So just a bit of a rant from me.

Purchased a Power Vision a little over a year ago and paid the additional $199 for the license for my 2010 FLHTK.

Just traded it in for a 2016 FLHTK and restored the 2010 back to original tune and then found out I have to pay $199 again to use it on my 2016. This licensing scheme just irks me. I understand a bit why they do this in order to prevent folks from using it on multiple bikes but in my mind I'm paying to use the system on a single bike and if I can show proof the bike was traded in why do I need to pay $199 again? I don't know, this just doesn't seem right to me. I've got to believe there is a way for them to somehow track when a vehicle is traded (I mean I have proof it's traded in and no longer in my possession). For all intents, that license no longer exists on the other vehicle and I should be able to use on my current bike.

I likely won't buy another license and will look at another tuner that allows transfer from one bike to another with no fee.

Anyway, rant over.

Robert

Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

SE Pro Tuner (aka Race Tuner) is only good for the bike it was purchased for. About $500.00. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't think there is tuner out there that will let you use it on multiple bikes with out a new license for each bike. I kinda agree it is a scam but it is what it is

Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 PM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that the license stays with the bike. I think any PowerVision will work on the 2010 from now on. I could be wrong.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:06 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Thats how the automotive world and frankly how the free market works. dont like it? kick rocks or come up with something better.

Same thing happens for tuning on 4 wheeled vehicles as well. EFI live sells tuning interfaces, and you get a license for each vehicle that is tuned, in this case a dyno tuner can buy the tuner and then each of his customer pays the license fee and for his tuning services.

I mean how would you like to spend hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars on development and research to come out with something like a tuner/ programming device and sell one for $500 and have one guy that owns a dyno and tunes hundreds of bikes at a profit, while you're at a major loss? Gotta pay for their time and money spent coming up with the product that does you good....

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 08-02-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:11 AM
99light
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree, They sold the tuner and license to me the purchaser. When i engaged it to my bike it uploaded the stock tune and became locked, and i agree it should stay locked to that bike, the additional licenses should allow me to use the same tuner on other bikes (@199 per) all holding the original tunes. If i go to sell a bike, and put the stock tune back into it, ( hence unlocking it from the tuner) i should be able to relock it to a new bike.

They got me good, im on my third bike, ive had to buy the tuner and pay for 2 additional licenses. It irked the hell out of me. But it is what it is, in the long run i guess its slightly better then them forcing us to buy a new tuner per bike.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:36 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Superchips Vigilante is the only flash tuner I know of that will "divorce" from the bike when you put the stock calibration back in it. You are limited with cals to choose from though. Your other options are to use a piggyback style tuner or leave it stock.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:49 AM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
Thats how the automotive world and frankly how the free market works. dont like it? kick rocks or come up with something better.

Same thing happens for tuning on 4 wheeled vehicles as well. EFI live sells tuning interfaces, and you get a license for each vehicle that is tuned, in this case a dyno tuner can buy the tuner and then each of his customer pays the license fee and for his tuning services.

I mean how would you like to spend hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars on development and research to come out with something like a tuner/ programming device and sell one for $500 and have one guy that owns a dyno and tunes hundreds of bikes at a profit, while you're at a major loss? Gotta pay for their time and money spent coming up with the product that does you good....
For all this hundreds and thousands and millions of dollars spent on developing it, you would think they could figure out a way to divorce the tuner from the bike when it's sold or traded? Actually, they most likely can but choose not to.

To be quite honest, had I known it would have cost me another $199 to transfer to another bike when I traded mine in, I would have never bought it to begin with. That's okay, I'll sell the power vision itself and stay with stock, I'm okay with that. But they'll never see another dime from me.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

The real problem is a stage 1 costs a pile of money, cams a whole pile more ...yet when you sell the bike those costs are typically ignored ...blame the person taking your arm off when they buy your bike

Cams and heads done, I couldn't put mine back to stock

While we are on a rant, the price of harley bits is just a rip off full stop, especially if you don't live in the US

Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
So just a bit of a rant from me.

Purchased a Power Vision a little over a year ago and paid the additional $199 for the license for my 2010 FLHTK.

Sounds like you bought the Vision for the 2010 and then bought a license for more money. Don't mean to upset you more but you didn't need a license if you bought the vision. If you locked it with the vision. You might still be able to use license. If you used the license and lock that. You might be able to use vision to tune 2016.

Maybe I got this wrong but I would be calling DJ and see what they can do for me.

Good luck

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Power Vision License Scheme