The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: straight answer to the SEPST BS

Old 09-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Sammis
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All

I ran into a problem today.

I was working on a calibration originally created on the v9 software.

Using the v10 software, I did not have any trouble making changes to any tables, etc... All the tables were present and so forth.

Since I seem to be having problems getting the SmartTune process to work, I decided to drop back to the v9 SuperTuner software just so that I could get the SmartTune completed.

I could still make any changes that I wanted and download any number of changes to the VCI/ECM.

The problem that I ran into was that I can no longer pull the Recording files from the VCI (updated by the v10 software) using the v9 software. It lets you get through all of the steps to where it is supposed to copy the recording and then it stops. You do not get the progress bar, nothing. It almost acts like it cannot read the VCI.

I put v10 back on and was able to pull the recording without any problems.

Has anyone else seen this?

Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammis
Hi All

I ran into a problem today.

I was working on a calibration originally created on the v9 software.

Using the v10 software, I did not have any trouble making changes to any tables, etc... All the tables were present and so forth.

Since I seem to be having problems getting the SmartTune process to work, I decided to drop back to the v9 SuperTuner software just so that I could get the SmartTune completed.

I could still make any changes that I wanted and download any number of changes to the VCI/ECM.

The problem that I ran into was that I can no longer pull the Recording files from the VCI (updated by the v10 software) using the v9 software. It lets you get through all of the steps to where it is supposed to copy the recording and then it stops. You do not get the progress bar, nothing. It almost acts like it cannot read the VCI.

I put v10 back on and was able to pull the recording without any problems.

Has anyone else seen this?

Not surprised to hear that after looking back through the changelog for the upgraded version as they made a bunch of changes for smart tuning:

"Software enhancements:

A new streamlined Smart Tune and Reflash process has been implemented with yes/no questions to improve the ease of use for the novice user.

Smart Tune modifications to allow the user to modify the front and rear tuning tables at the same time instead of tuning each cylinder independently.

New user tutorial screens have been added to the tuning and reflash procedures to help guide the novice user. The user has the option to turn these tutorial screens on/off in Setup and Utilities.
Improved calibration selection process which will display the description for a calibration prior to selecting.

VCI recording enhancement to eliminate the potential to lose a recording if the recording button is not pressed before turning the key off.

Recording and Calibration save procedures have been simplified to default to a single location to make it easier for the user to find recordings or saved calibrations."

Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Sammis
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VCI recording enhancement to eliminate the potential to lose a recording if the recording button is not pressed before turning the key off.

Well I can vouch for this part of the fix. That was a real pain to remember before to hit the button before turning off the bike. I power cycled the bike yesterday 10-15 times trying various combinations to get the recording off. The recording was still there when I finally went back to the v10 software.

But that doesn't mean that they had to break the download of the recording.

Just one more step to push people to either upgrade to new bike (not happening here) or go aftermarket.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:06 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

I really like the new version of the software....my concern though is that there are changes to the hidden tables that cause the the maps created by the new version to be "compliant" or "more" compliant with epa. Yes you can manipulate some of the tables as you could before but then the software combines them with the other tables to create the maps correct?

Old 09-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open Cycles
SEPST does a check every time you open it up, it looks to see if there is any new updates and it also looks to see when the last time SEPST connected to the internet. If SEPST hasn't connected with in the past 30 days and you are not connected to the internet it will prompt you to connect and check for updates. There is a way around this if you want to continue using the previous version f SEPST. You simply need to change the date of the last time SEPST connected to the internet. To do so do the following.

Open "C" drive
Open "Program Files (x86)
Open "Super Tuner"
Open "Applications"
If there is no applications folder you need to enable your computer to "show hidden files"

In the applications folder look for a file named "lastupdate.txt and open it. This is a simple text document that SEPST goes to to check the date it was last updated, using the same date format that is in there just change the date to the current date (or the day before).

You should be good to go at this point, just make sure when you go to open up SEPST you have the internet disabled
I installed the older version of the software and tried to change the lastupdate.txt file to today's date but the format was nothing recognizable.
A string of numbers not looking like a date.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:31 AM
Br125
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
I installed the older version of the software and tried to change the lastupdate.txt file to today's date but the format was nothing recognizable.
A string of numbers not looking like a date.
what program are you trying to open that file with?

I opened it with notepad, word and wordpad and it opened fine in all of them.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Br125
what program are you trying to open that file with?

I opened it with notepad, word and wordpad and it opened fine in all of them.
It opens fine with notepad and shows plain text but the nmbers are not a normal date format, i.e. 652003475 or something like that.

Anyway even the old software off the CD doesn't work with my VCI. The USB drivers don't recognize the VCI. The VCI red light flashes when I turn the power on or off but nothing else.

The new program won't run under Vista, it requires Netframe work 4.XXX which won't even install on Vista. I hate to go through installing Win 7 only to find my VCI isn't any good.

I havr a TTS Mastertune on this same PC and it works fine with my '08 Ultra Classic so I'm afraid to disturb the laptop,

Old 09-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Br125
Tourer

have any friends or family with a win 7 laptop you can borrow? at least you can test the VCI and decide about updating after that.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Br125
have any friends or family with a win 7 laptop you can borrow? at least you can test the VCI and decide about updating after that.
Yes I do. I'm going to try a buddy's laptop tomorrow that has the software already installed. We can try my VCI and cables on his Win 10 machine.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, I tried a Windows 10 machine and all appeared to go well until it tried to update the VCI. It gave an error message and shut down the PC I hooked my buddy's VCI to my bike and it read the info and told us what map was in the bike. I guess either my VCI is bad or an early enough version that the software won't recognize it, either way it's useless to me.

If I want to tune the bike I'll buy something that doesn't need a PC like an FP-3 or Powervision.