The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: straight answer to the SEPST BS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:42 PM
kansei
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default straight answer to the SEPST BS

After reading post after post about SEPST and the EPA i have a few questions left -
1 Is a previously tuned bike still have full function of tuner ( ie - still able to make all adjustments ) using the latest version 10.xxxxx
2 if I flash a new map to the bike will the new map allow full function of tuner
I have a 2011 Blackline that has been tuned with SEPST ver 9xxxx and would like answers from actual experience before I update my software to ver10

Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm wondering the very same thing! My laptops in the shop for repairs and I'm hoping they don't go through and update everything or I may possibly be screwed!!! 06 NT, 95", S&S .510g, V&H 2-2, K&N AC, P&P heads, SEPST

Last edited by Oz Nightrain; 08-29-2016 at 09:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kansei (08-29-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

I upgraded on one laptop (not my maiin dyno computer), I had a bike in that I previously tuned and had no problem editing his MAP and flashing it to his bike.

The following 5 users liked this post by Wide Open Cycles:
GriffinDenim13FLHX (09-30-2016), hrdtail78 (08-29-2016), kansei (08-29-2016), Oz Nightrain (08-29-2016), rigidthumper (08-29-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 10:48 AM
smsrock28
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same concerns and have not let the software upgrade since the settlement. Here is my advice:

1) I still have the original install .exe from April time frame (original for me) so I can always uninstall and re-install to that version. (Although this could cause some out of sync errors since I have upgrade a couple times since then)

2) Better: If you want to try and upgrade; do a restore point on your computer before upgrading and if anything blows up or they cripple the software, you can always restore the PC back to the state of that restore point. (Note you will lose any files, etc that you ave saved on your hard drive after setting the restore point, but you can always back those up first before restoring)

That has been my backup plan, but going to keep using the version I'm on until forced to upgrade for some reason.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor

SEPST does a check every time you open it up, it looks to see if there is any new updates and it also looks to see when the last time SEPST connected to the internet. If SEPST hasn't connected with in the past 30 days and you are not connected to the internet it will prompt you to connect and check for updates. There is a way around this if you want to continue using the previous version f SEPST. You simply need to change the date of the last time SEPST connected to the internet. To do so do the following.

Open "C" drive
Open "Program Files (x86)
Open "Super Tuner"
Open "Applications"
If there is no applications folder you need to enable your computer to "show hidden files"

In the applications folder look for a file named "lastupdate.txt and open it. This is a simple text document that SEPST goes to to check the date it was last updated, using the same date format that is in there just change the date to the current date (or the day before).

You should be good to go at this point, just make sure when you go to open up SEPST you have the internet disabled

Old 09-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

There was only 1 guy on here that was going around in each thread saying that the tuner was neutered after the update.. he doesn't have the SEPST and has never used it, so he was just talking out of his ***. Everything has worked fine on my '13 Blackline. It was originally tuned with version 9.xx and still works with 10.xx

Old 09-21-2016, 05:08 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kansei
After reading post after post about SEPST and the EPA i have a few questions left -
1 Is a previously tuned bike still have full function of tuner ( ie - still able to make all adjustments ) using the latest version 10.xxxxx
2 if I flash a new map to the bike will the new map allow full function of tuner
I have a 2011 Blackline that has been tuned with SEPST ver 9xxxx and would like answers from actual experience before I update my software to ver10
Had the same concerns someone, BR125 provided a screen print on thread "Screaming Eagle Super Tuner - Who Bought Before They Were Gone? #25" with v10.xx and proved it is NOT affected. So I verified based on his proof, it worked as he proved. My SW updated to v10.xx.xx on my Windows 10 laptop, I still saw all the tables as editable. I reflashed with the tune from my VCI and no changes. Proving to me he was correct nothing changes as far as what you can do.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor

Steve from GMR called me the other day and was having serious issues trying to tune a bike with the new version. I'm not sure if it's a glitch with the software or if he was having other problems. I wasn't able to talk with him for very long as I had customers in the shop. I have the upgraded software on a laptop and the next SEPST tune I get in I will use it before/if I upgrade it on my main dyno. HD has said that after this release they will no longer support the SEPST softwre and will offer no further updates. I am perfectly content keeping the last version and not doing the update. I am in the process of editing the software so the "lastupdate.txt" file automatically re-writes itself to the current time/date when I open it up. Once I get that done I will probably just keep running that version

Old 09-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
I'm wondering the very same thing! My laptops in the shop for repairs and I'm hoping they don't go through and update everything or I may possibly be screwed!!! 06 NT, 95", S&S .510g, V&H 2-2, K&N AC, P&P heads, SEPST
Ok 2 things:
1) I got my laptop back, installed the latest software but also had to update the vci. So I did that, got the map from the ecm, saved it, made some changes, saved under different name and reflashed with no problems at all.

2) Chad, do you think there will be a problem if the software looks for updates when it's unsupported? And if I ever had the same problem with my laptop, would the software still be available to download?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:35 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Before I updated I saved the custom cals I wanted on a desktop file, then saved them on a thumb drive. I then updated and didn't lose the ones I saved on the desktop, since then I have tune a couple bikes with no issue using the saved files. The software is a bit different but works exactly the same as in the past.

Quick Reply: HARLEY: straight answer to the SEPST BS