The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Another SEPro tuner question...

Old 09-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Another SEPro tuner question...

I recently bought a used 2009 FXDC. It had V&H Big Radius pipes and HD open air cleaner. I changed the pipes to stock pipes with Rush 1.75" slip-ons. The bike also came with a SE Pro tuner. I finally was able to download the SE Pro software and ordered a CD from an eBay seller. I cannot read the label on the back of the tuner and have no way to contact the previous owner.

If I install the software on my PC and connect the tuner, will it tell me what version tuner it is and it's serial number? Can I determine which map is in the bike or can I choose a new, appropriate map and reflash the ECM?

Should I install the current software or wait for the CD to arrive and install that one first?

The bike runs ok but I'd like to know what I have.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Once you plug that Vci in and pull up the software it is going to want to update the software and Vci. This will clear the Vci and you will lose anything saved to it. You should be able to click out of the update pop up, or at least select some things on the screen behind the pop up. There should be a button for loading map and choosing map from Vci. I can't remember exactly but I was able to pull the map from mine. When you get it save the map and save it to another folder on your computer then update the software and you can add the file back into the folder that the software references. FYI you can get the newest version of the software free online. Did the previous owner have it dyno tuned or did they just install a canned map and call it good. If they did there could be a better new canned map that you could use as your base rather than using the already installed map as your base

Old 09-24-2016, 11:28 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

So do t even use the cd. Just google super tuner software and download that for free. Then plug all that **** in and turn your bike on. Before you do that though open the software and become familiar with it. There are tabs for loading calibration files (maps) from a list, manually, from Vci, etc. just play around with it before plugging into the bike and you should get an idea of how to acces the map on the Vci. So then when you plug in to the bike and the software wants to update you can try to work around it. If you update you will lose it.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

I wouldn't even use that previous map since you changed the exhaust as you had. I would go with a canned map that is suitable for your engine and tune to that.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

I have no idea what the previous owner did and no way to ask him. I'm reluctant to use the downloaded software since it says it wom't run on Windows Vista, which my laptop has.

My intention is to install the software from the CD with no internet connection and change the update .txt file so it won't try to update itself. Then connect to the bike and see what I get. The only thing I know for sure is that it has a Stage 1 air cleaner, pipes and a Super Tuner. I don't even know if it has had a cam change. I was hoping the installed map would give me some indication. I guess the info I retrieve from the bike won't tell me which map is installed, just show the results.

Has anyone tried the new software with Vista?

Old 09-24-2016, 06:50 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Has anyone tried the new software with Vista?
Come and join us in the 21st century, get windows 10 and v10 of the software, plug everything in and update your vci, everything will be wiped from the vci but the first thing it does after the update is download the calibration that's in the ecm. Then save that to your computer, but as old mate said it's probably no good because you changed the pipes, but you may be able to smart tune it to get it close again!!

Old 09-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

We have two desktop PC's, a laptop, and a MacBook Pro. My PC has Windows 7 Pro and my wife's has a forced upgrade to Windows 10. I hope I never own another Windows 10 machine! In the 3 years it had Windows 7 it never had a hiccup but after it automatically installed Win 10 ( after telling it not to) it has been a pain in the ***. The laptop is in the shop/garage and has been running Vista for years with no problem I don't want to upgrade it because of having to reinstall the tons of software that's on it including TTS Mastertune software. But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah that's a fair point. Admittedly I had heaps of dramas with a windows 10 forced update, it was running through an endless boot cycle. Took it to the computer shop, not sure exactly what they did to it but now it works flawlessly! Try the old disk on vista and see how it goes. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Jim Dawson (09-24-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 12:44 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

Yeah I'm not sure that TUNER would work with vista much less the screaming eagle software. Microsoft hasn't even supported vista since 2012. I'd figure out a way to use a computer with newer software and be done with it.

I suppose it's worth a try to do as you plan. Depends on how they saved that other file. It could be the persons name or it could be the map file name...I know the newly released software I can see the map file name on it though. I guess if I were you I would probably try it your way since you already bought that cd and just see what if any info you can get off it.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:52 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior

So just a heads up I was reading the OP and want to make sure you got it...in order for your computer to recognize the Vci the Vci has to have power. The Vci gets power from the bike. So that means you will have to have the Vci connected to the bike and the Vci connected to the computer to be able to get anything off the bike. What OZ mentioned is that it will download from the bike...from what I understand the map is not stored on the VCI just the Ecm so the Vci just allows the transfer to happen. So I guess it will be interesting to see if that cd will run on vista and then if it will recognize the Vci once it's hooked up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HARLEY: Another SEPro tuner question...