The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Brief Synopsis of Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 01:20 PM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Brief Synopsis of Tuners

I am helping a buddy upgrade with 2012 Road Glide. I put together a list of the tuners I found online and was hoping someone could give a brief synopsis of each to help me figure out which would be best for his application..

So far I have found:

Power Vison Basic
Power Vision Basic plus At-100
Power Vision Basic Target Tune
Power Commander V
Fuel Moto Micro
FuelPak FP3 V&H
Thundermax with Auto Tune
TTS Master Tune

Thanks guys!

Old 10-16-2016, 02:11 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

TTS. PERIOD!
...Unless you need a little mini screen to look at while you're riding down the road...then the choice is obvious.
JME, Bob

The following users liked this post:
msocko3 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:24 PM
zigzag930
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been researching this for about 2 months and have decided I will purchase the TTS also.

However, I think the selection of tuner should be based on:

1) What changes will be made to the bike (don't forget to consider possible future modifications as well)

2) Who will be doing the tuning
a) If professional on Dyno, then consult with the tuning professional to see what he is recommending
b) If doing yourself, I think it depends on how technically inclined you are and how much time (learning) you are willing to invest into getting the most out of the product.

So:
- if you are doing slip-ons and maybe an A/C, then perhaps the FP3 or FM Micro is all you will need
- if doing header pipes (or more), then I would consider TTS or PV

I can't comment on Thundermax, but in my opinion - I want a product that can be tuned by a professional (or myself) and do NOT want to swap out the ECM

My understanding on the PC V is that it is being replaced by the PV (others will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong)

My decision to go the TTS route is based on me being a very technically inclined person, well versed in computers, programming, table driven lookups, etc. I believe the TTS is superior in it's sampling rate, output of "raw" ECM data for analysis and modified code routines that are loaded into the ECM. Also, it will not leave a "fingerprint" (the PV will according to what I have read) should I want to re-flash my ECM back to it's Harley Factory image. I believe the TTS allows you to really control areas of the ECM that others do not. HOWEVER, Just because it provides these features does not mean the average guy (including me) should mess with them. In the hands of a professional however, they will get every last lb of torque or HP out of the v-twin. I do intend to get the bike dyno'd down the road, so for me the TTS is my choice.

For the less technical types, the PV may be easier to use and does have some nice features that the TTS does not offer. The screen allows easier loading of ECM images, including the ability to store several in the device itself for sudo-on-the-fly loads. I believe the display will also show some nice information like fuel consumption engine temperatures, and other operational statistics, etc on it's display. Nice to have, but once the engine has been tuned, I wouldn't see needing this information on a daily basis, so I'd remove the screen anyway.

Both the TTS and PV have the ability to record while you ride for performance tuning purposes. While the tools are different, they provide a way to use this recorded information to create a calibration file based on information collected during the ride. TTS will require a PC to use the Vtune program where I believe PV can do some of this in the supplied display. It's my understanding the for a more accurate calibration, the PV also uses PC software, so you'd still use a PC.

There are many thread on this site and others and you can read for days. I have. The above information is my opinion based on reading all the "facts", pro's and cons of the various tuners on the market. Be careful when reading some of those threads as much of the information is OLD, biased based on ownership, or incorrect assumptions passed on from those who pertain to "know".....

I have talked with Steve (TTS manufacturer) and Jamie@FN (PV distributor) several times. They are both very helpful and have good products.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've been researching this for several months. There is a lot to take into consideration. I've flipped back and forth a few times on TTS or PV, and although I haven't made the purchase yet, I'm 99% certain it'll be TTS

Hope this helps.

Last edited by zigzag930; 10-17-2016 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wide Open Cycles (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

I wish everyone did the research you've done before purchasing.
i believe everyone would come to the same conclusion.

Originally Posted by zigzag930
I've been researching this for about 2 months and have decided I will purchase the TTS also.

However, I think the selection of tuner should be based on:

1) What changes will be made to the bike (don't forget to consider possible future modifications as well)

2) Who will be doing the tuning
a) If professional on Dyno, then consult with the tuning professional to see what he is recommending
b) If doing yourself, I think it depends on how technically inclined you are and how much time (learning) you are willing to invest into getting the most out of the product.

So:
- if you are doing slip-ons and maybe an A/C, then perhaps the FP3 or FM Micro is all you will need
- if doing header pipes (or more), then I would consider TTS or PV

I can't comment on Thundermax, but in my opinion - I want a product that can be tuned by a professional (or myself) and do NOT want to swap out the ECM

My understanding on the PC V is that it is being replaced by the PV (others will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong)

My decision to go the TTS route is based on me being a very technically inclined person, well versed in computers, programming, table driven lookups, etc. I believe the TTS is superior in it's sampling rate, output of "raw" ECM data for analysis and modified code routines that are loaded into the ECM. Also, it will not leave a "fingerprint" (the PV will according to what I have read) should I want to re-flash my ECM back to it's Harley Factory image. I believe the TTS allows you to really control areas of the ECM that others do not. HOWEVER, Just because it provides these features does not mean the average guy (including me) should mess with them. In the hands of a professional however, they will get every last lb of torque or HP out of the v-twin. I do intend to get the bike dyno'd down the road, so for me the TTS is my choice.

For the less technical types, the PV may be easier to use and does have some nice features that the TTS does not offer. The screen allows easier loading of ECM images, including the ability to store several in the device itself for sudo-on-the-fly loads. I believe the display will also show some nice information like fuel consumption engine temperatures, and other operational statistics, etc on it's display. Nice to have, but once the engine has been tuned, I wouldn't see needing this information on a daily basis, so I'd remove the screen anyway.

Both the TTS and PV have the ability to record while you ride for performance tuning purposes. While the tools are different, they provide a way to use this recorded information to create a calibration file based on information collected during the ride. TTS will require a PC to use the Vtune program where I believe PV can do some of this in the supplied display. It's my understanding the for a more accurate calibration, the PV also uses PC software, so you'd still use a PC.

There are many thread on this site and others and you can read for days. I have. The above information is my opinion based on reading all the "facts", pro's and cons of the various tuners on the market. Be careful when reading some of those threads as much of the information is OLD, biased based on ownership, or incorrect assumptions passed on from those who pertain to "know".....

I have talked with Steve (TTS manufacturer) and Jamie@FN (PV distributor) several times. They are both very helpful and have good products.

Like I mentioned earlier, I've been researching this for several months. There is a lot to take into consideration. I've flipped back and forth a few times on TTS or PV, and although I haven't made the purchase yet, I'm 99% certain it'll be TTS

Hope this helps.