The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

No Device: Old tech decel popping

Old 11-24-2016, 01:51 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 301 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Old tech decel popping

Picked up a 2001 Road King EFI this fall. Put maybe 200 miles on it before riding season ended. Only 18k miles on the bike. All stock as far as I know. The breather is stock, I added a pair of Bassani slip ons. Head pipes I assume to be stock.
I'm getting an occasional pop between gears when I let off the throttle to upshift, and quite a bit of popping on deceleration. What are the more common fixes as far as tuners or fuel adjustment hardware? Still trying to decide if I want the local dealer to check it out when riding season returns. I get along great with the service manager, but I'd like to have a little basic knowledge or some ideas before I speak to them.
The local indys are not really the people to deal with these days like they were in years past.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:16 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team

Hmm. No takers yet.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:32 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

With a stock breather you should not be getting any decel pop. Make sure that you have the throttle completely closed when shifting or decelerating. You can leave it open just a bit, introducing pop if you are not careful.

Check for trouble codes. Check to see if there is not a fuel manager on it already.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:47 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by larsfum
With a stock breather you should not be getting any decel pop. Make sure that you have the throttle completely closed when shifting or decelerating. You can leave it open just a bit, introducing pop if you are not careful.

Check for trouble codes. Check to see if there is not a fuel manager on it already.
Had the seat off to install a rear signal module/load equalizer when I did LED tail lights. Looks like nothing else is plugged into the ECM.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Just Nick
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Check to make sure there are no issues xhaust leaks to start with and if the exhaust is sealed up you will need a tuner to fix it I prefer flash tuners i.e. TTS, Powervision, Techno Reserch direct link, etc. The way to fix decel pop in the tune is to either add more fuel or reduce timing in the lower kpa/throttle position where the engine is during decel. You would either need a competent tuner or to do some data logs and watch them to adjust in those areas. Also you would want to actually tune the entire map at this time because the bike will run way better then it does now if you get a good tuner or you spend the time to learn

Old 11-28-2016, 12:52 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team

The Dyno Room? Why did this topic get moved here?

Just Nick - Wouldn't I be looking for an intake leak that would be creating a lean condition?

Old 11-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Just Nick
Cruiser

Decel pop would be more of a exhaust leak if it were popping when giving it gas or all of the time not only while letting off the throttle it would be a intake leak. So no from what you described it does not sound like a intake leak but more of a exhaust leak.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:26 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Just Nick
Decel pop would be more of a exhaust leak if it were popping when giving it gas or all of the time not only while letting off the throttle it would be a intake leak. So no from what you described it does not sound like a intake leak but more of a exhaust leak.
Thanks Nick. I've got a long winter ahead to sort it out. In the meantime I've got sheet metal for a Fat Boy out for custom paint to pay for and get put back together for Florida vacation at the end of March.
In the meantime, Bob from Fuel Moto replied. They're of the thought that Power Commander V is about the only technology that could help an old bike with the Magneti system. $304.00. I'm sure that I've spent more on less successful endeavors.
Will take some time to think it over and poke around a little more. FM seems to have a very good reputation for supporting their products.

Last edited by 2goldens; 11-29-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Just Nick
Cruiser

The best system for the magneti system is the techno research direct link for MM By far its a flash tune module NOT a piggy back System I would be looking for a techno research tuner in your area and having it be tuned with direct link. Sandro the Brain behind Techno Research worked for Magneti marelli, he and his brother were the design team that made that system for Harley. The MM fuel injection system is a good system but most people and shops do not know how it works that's why it gets a bad rep and also why so many take it off and convert to carb. If all the sensors are working correctly and the hot/cold idle is set up correctly with a proper flash tune the mm system will be trouble free I know because I have done quite a few MM bikes in the past few years. It would be a cold day in hell before I myself or one of my customers install a piggy crap PC5 on a mm bike. The only reason they tell you to use the pc5 is because they sell it not because its the best. JMHO

Last edited by Just Nick; 11-29-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:13 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Just Nick
The best system for the magneti system is the techno research direct link for MM By far its a flash tune module NOT a piggy back System I would be looking for a techno research tuner in your area and having it be tuned with direct link. Sandro the Brain behind Techno Research worked for Magneti marelli, he and his brother were the design team that made that system for Harley. The MM fuel injection system is a good system but most people and shops do not know how it works that's why it gets a bad rep and also why so many take it off and convert to carb. If all the sensors are working correctly and the hot/cold idle is set up correctly with a proper flash tune the mm system will be trouble free I know because I have done quite a few MM bikes in the past few years. It would be a cold day in hell before I myself or one of my customers install a piggy crap PC5 on a mm bike. The only reason they tell you to use the pc5 is because they sell it not because its the best. JMHO
I appreciate the advice Nick but I don't see it happening. I'm just not going to spend that kind of money with TR on a bone stock (except for slip ons) cruiser. Add to that the fact that TR adjustments and changes can only be made through a Windows based computer. I don't own any Microsoft run equipment and likely never will.
When riding season gets nearer, I think I'll go with your early suggestions and check for exhaust and/or intake leaks and then try to find a solution from there out.