The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision Target Tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 07:53 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

The reasons to have a well tuned engine are for longevity and optimal performance. If you ask me if or possible to use the devices on the street to get a decent tune I would say yes,with enough time it is possible. The main problem I see with auto tune (both basic and pro) is that whole you are out data collecting you are riding a bike that is not in tune.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:24 PM
Hilly13
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with the above that is why I think you should only do short runs and apply the changes, rinse and repeat to quickly get the VE's heading in the right direction, stage 1 and even stage 2 with mild cams is not so much of a worry but if the engine is significantly altered from what cal you are using to tune from then street tuning has a greater chance of causing some damage, that is my diy approach anyhow. Good thread by the way, good to see some tuners hanging in there ��

Old 12-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

I want to be clear in my previous post, I said "decent" tune 2, not optimal. On a dyno we can collect better more accurate data going through cells than can be done on the street

Last edited by Wide Open Cycles; 12-24-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Hilly13
Cruiser

I'm good with decent, I'm also good with that a good and I do mean good dyno tuner can do a superior job, I have paid people to tune some of my bike's, probably will again but I do tinker and am reasonably confident my outcomes are safe, certainly better than a canned stage flash anyway.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:40 PM
jackafrica
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I too believe with some understanding of what you're trying to achieve and accurate analysis, the "DIY" outcome can be tangibly better than a poor session with an old dyno and less skilled/ informed operator. This has been my paid for in $ experience.
Some of us live in areas where there is no access to the latest equipment or knowledgable operators. I live on what most here would consider a small island.

A decent outcome, taking small bites as Hilly13 has suggested can, in time, yield a result which is decent/good.
My bike is currently "stage3-4" for want of a better description and not the first EFI bike to be "tuned".

I'm appreciative of the temper shown by those skilled in both word and deed to try and explain, without hysterics, the benefits and possible pitfalls of both options and the tuning systems used to achieve those outcomes. Thanks for sharing.
I need a drink!

Last edited by jackafrica; 12-25-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:48 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Longevity? Harley's are well built and the most reliable they ever been (twin cam)

Riders on tourers racking up 100000miles plus on stock bikes or just with slip ons (which is amazing considering the engine can't possibly run with c lifters and how lean they come out of the factory)

Old 12-25-2016, 03:18 PM
Hilly13
Cruiser

While what you say is true mirrmu surely you would agree that a well tuned bike is not only a pleasure to ride but that calibrated configuration is better for the bike mechanically for lots of reasons?
Of course how an engine is treated has a part to play in longevity as well but lifters do fail, I've seen them, cranks do chew up oil pumps, I've seen that too, my 2016 FLSS will eat the oil pump eventually if I don't do something about it, .0075" runout from new does not lend itself to longevity, a 2006 FXDWGI that I used to own had only .0015" from new, luck of the draw it seems.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:06 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I've gotta pretty good running 107, woods 555, powervision with autotune pro. Is it worth it to put on the target tune ? I think I would like real time wideband analysis and the ability to do timing adjustments with the afr tables set where you run them.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

It would be an unnecessary expense as your autotune system "should" have handled any fueling issues.
Timing can be changed with either system.
Target tune requires removing and installing sensor bungs so you can replace your OEM sensors with the aftermarket ones from Dynojet.
Just simply not necessary as the end result will not show significant improvements over your existing system.
Bob

Old 12-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks Bob for the response. I'm very happy with bike and the way it runs. Like everyone else I'm just looking for that little bit more. It never ends does it.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Power Vision Target Tune