The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision Target Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mirrmu
comes alive when Target Tune is mentioned, hehehehe
A lot of folks like Kool-Aid.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:30 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,151 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Target Tune = Kool-Aid

?

Old 11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Target Tune = Kool-Aid

?
If you live by a competent tuner then I would have it tuned by them. However there is a lot of tuners that say they know what they are doing but the results will be less than desirable. That has been my experience. I have the target tune and my bike runs great.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

No such thing as auto tune, they all require some form of operator intervention to get the most out of the engine.
no **** Sherlock

Parroting,
2 post by someone who probably never used TT

Old 11-30-2016, 02:35 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Schex3x
no **** Sherlock

Parroting,
2 post by someone who probably never used TT
I know some folks who have, great product for holding AFR. Still need to address timing if you want the most out of your engine. AFR is only a fraction of the tune.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 AM
NascarGuy
Supporter
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the PV/TT combo installed on my 117" build and I will say it makes parts swapping a breeze. I recently swapped exhausts from a 2/1/2 to a 2/1 and the tune was very simple unlike having to get a flash or having it dyno tuned again. It does a great job honestly. When I installed the TT and a TT map I completed the recommended 3 - 20 minute AutoTune runs. Motor seemed to dial right in. I later took the bike to a local "knowledgable Indy" and had the bike dyno'd. They were only able to get me 1HP and 1 TQ.

I am a fan of the combo and presonally find it well worth the investment if you prefer to do your own parts swapping or tuning.

Just my two cents.

The following 2 users liked this post by NascarGuy:
Arizona65 (04-15-2020), porkster (04-22-2020)
Old 12-04-2016, 10:47 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

I know some folks who have, great product for holding AFR. Still need to address timing if you want the most out of your engine. AFR is only a fraction of the tune.
Yes... But...

For a known setup, the right spark and AFR table to produce the best performance should pretty much be known and should have little - if any - variation between one unit to the next. If this were not the case then every stock motorcycle off the production line would have to have a custom tune for it.

So a guy wanting to do a stage 1 on his otherwise stock engine should be able to get a good AFR and spark table for that engine (but not the factory tune, mind you). The focus of his effort is to compensate for the changes caused by the custom pipes and air intakes that he chooses to install. That means dialing in the VE tables. PV Autotune (especially w/Target Tune) fills this bill (among others).

I use the AFR and spark tables in the specialized Target Tune tune file for my setup (stock 1200 EVO on '09 Nightster). I asked if they develped/dialed in that tune (specifically the AFR and spark tables) on the Dyno. He replied that they did. So - as the theory goes - that tune should be good to go (AFR/spark tables) for any other stock 1200 EVO.

Last edited by T^2; 12-04-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

...and a stage 2 with a popular camshaft like the 57H should be able to use someone else's stage2 with 57H map...

...good luck with that one.

Slip a bit more compression or anything past a stage 1 for that matter... well, yea, on you go. The built in auto tune on narrow bands gets you just as close tbh

PV + TT is one helluva price for a stage 1 btw ??!? each to their own I suppose

Last edited by Gordon61; 12-04-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:31 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
Yes... But...

For a known setup, the right spark and AFR table to produce the best performance should pretty much be known and should have little - if any - variation between one unit to the next. If this were not the case then every stock motorcycle off the production line would have to have a custom tune for it.

So a guy wanting to do a stage 1 on his otherwise stock engine should be able to get a good AFR and spark table for that engine (but not the factory tune, mind you). The focus of his effort is to compensate for the changes caused by the custom pipes and air intakes that he chooses to install. That means dialing in the VE tables. PV Autotune (especially w/Target Tune) fills this bill (among others).

I use the AFR and spark tables in the specialized Target Tune tune file for my setup (stock 1200 EVO on '09 Nightster). I asked if they develped/dialed in that tune (specifically the AFR and spark tables) on the Dyno. He replied that they did. So - as the theory goes - that tune should be good to go (AFR/spark tables) for any other stock 1200 EVO.
I agree, little is to be gained with cookie cutter builds. Like wise, for a person who knows what they want and is not going to play parts swap at a later date, it really isn't necessary. A tune from a competent tuner will fill the bill.

Last edited by msocko3; 12-05-2016 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:23 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gordon61
PV + TT is one helluva price for a stage 1 btw ??!? each to their own I suppose
Certainly one way to to look at it.

But what do you have at the end of the day when you've had a custom tune done via a dyno? Just the tune. A tune that you hope was done well. A tune that will likely have you running fully open loop and requiring O2 sensor eliminators.

At the end of tuning with a PV+TT, you got the tune, the tune isn't a mystery, you've got a PV, and you have a TT with widebands running full time closed loop.

Something to be said for each approach. Just depends on why you want in the end.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Power Vision Target Tune