The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Newb Tuning Q - Dyno booth vs Power Vision

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:50 PM
17FiXxXeR75
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Newb Tuning Q - Dyno booth vs Power Vision

I tried searching and didn't find a thread addressing this. If I just missed it, please point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to find out what's the advantage of in-booth Dyno tuning vs an on-board device like the Power Vision.

I personally don't have a need or desire (as a new rider) to do data logging and just want the bike tuned to my set of pipes and for performance. I understand the PV gives additional options for things like autotuning and digital gauges. But for the actual tuning itself, is one method preferable to the other?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

There are a million ways you can go.. Based on the 2 you mention. Get it tuned by a reputable dyno operator and be done with it. Home tuning requires a bunch of work and understanding and when done, outputs have not been peaked as well compared to a dyno.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:23 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Weather you use the power vision or any other tuner,You can get your bike running pretty good. To get the most out of your bike, have it dynoed by a pro.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Dyno tuning I've came to realize isn't the answer to a perfect running bike. I've gotten 5 tunes done to my last bike over the years because
1) I've installed or changed engine bits
2) it ran poor after the previous tuner failed.
Now, it ran so poor that I'm sure there was an underlying issue that a dyno tune didn't reveal. So even though you get a pretty piece of bragging rights on a piece of paper you might just laminate and put in your saddlebag, take it for a ride and judge for yourself if your bike runs as good as it did from the showroom floor.
From my last experiences with my RK, I kind of think auto tuning is a better way to go, ( if I ever fall down the slippery slope of changing the factory map which I doubt).

Old 02-06-2017, 02:29 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
Dyno tuning I've came to realize isn't the answer to a perfect running bike. I've gotten 5 tunes done to my last bike over the years because
1) I've installed or changed engine bits
2) it ran poor after the previous tuner failed.
Now, it ran so poor that I'm sure there was an underlying issue that a dyno tune didn't reveal. So even though you get a pretty piece of bragging rights on a piece of paper you might just laminate and put in your saddlebag, take it for a ride and judge for yourself if your bike runs as good as it did from the showroom floor.
From my last experiences with my RK, I kind of think auto tuning is a better way to go, ( if I ever fall down the slippery slope of changing the factory map which I doubt).
If you have had 5 dyno tunes and say your bike doesn't run excellent afterward I hope you have found a better tuner because a good tune will outperform street tuning every time since there is no real way to assess performance gains or losses from diy tuning.
Bob

The following users liked this post:
msocko3 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,450 Likes on 1,599 Posts

One of the bonuses of using a (proper) dyno, is load control. It's difficult at best for you to try to hit most of the cells when collecting data on the street, but easy on the dyno. The dyno can hold by MPH, load, &RPM, steady or in steps. It can also measure the force applied by the tire, which the tuner can evaluate to determine if/what steps are necessary to improve performance. Small changes to the map can be observed on the dyno,( which help to improve drivability) but those same changes are difficult to discern on the street.

The following users liked this post:
FLTRI17 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dyno Tune only!