The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: Reformatting Data Output by Street Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,246 Likes on 3,624 Posts
Default Reformatting Data Output by Street Tuner

Not sure anyone has done this but collected data from the street tuner has a file extension of ".hdx" but is really based on XML (hdx - HD XML?) . Simply relabeling the file to XML allows it to be imported into Excel. The data is all there but not really in a format that makes it easy to look at.. Is there an easy way to format the data so that the name appears as a heading and the data values appear below the name. It would make looking at the data much more convenient then what the data display tool does inside street tuner.

I'm thinking the right xml schema file might work but have no idea on how to generate it.. For me the easiest way would be to write something in C# that reads in the file and simply runs through the records pulling out the pertinent data then formating into a CSV file.

Thanks for any ideas.

Pic of file read into Excel.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't know if anyone is interested in this but I wrote a program to extract the data names out of the HDX log file.. Wasn't too hard. Kinda rusty at C# tho. Next I'll build a reader to pull the data records of interest and plot in columnar format with labels at the top.

Data name extraction

Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

OK got it so that it I can create files like this..

Unfortunately Megalogviewer is being a bitch.. For some reason it don't like it..

Old 02-20-2017, 11:02 PM
09fxdfse
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you have 4 deg difference in timing between front and rear in that range ?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Ok, this is intriguing. I emailed the Mega Log Viewer people a year or two ago, and they said it would not read any SEPST files, and they weren't going to provide the capability. If you can figure this out, you'd be a hero!

Old 02-21-2017, 12:21 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09fxdfse
you have 4 deg difference in timing between front and rear in that range ?
Yeah I noticed that.. I suspect that the reason for it is emissions when cold. I started the bike and ran it only long enough to collect about 20 seconds of data so that I had something to work with.. Will probably collect some real data on Wednesday.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Ok, this is intriguing. I emailed the Mega Log Viewer people a year or two ago, and they said it would not read any SEPST files, and they weren't going to provide the capability. If you can figure this out, you'd be a hero!
Andy Whittle removed replaced white spaces with comas plus removed the % signs. I made changes to the code to make the output the same..

If you have a run file I'll see if I can get it working with the other tuner. What I have works for the street tuner but don't know about how the data is collected for the other tuner. The method is adaptable but a bit of a hack. A person that knows XML would have done a better job..

Output from the version that works.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Have you seen this XML to csv conversion site (one of several web converters)?

http://www.convertcsv.com/xml-to-csv.htm

or this one

http://www.luxonsoftware.com/converter/xmltocsv

Old 02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Those 2 were better than the few that I found. The problem is that the data is not formatted correctly and it does not remove the extraneous data..
You can get a xml structure viewer from Microsoft called "XML notepad" to view the structure. It's free from MS.. Reading the file in you find the data in the "recording/dataFrames" called a "dataFrame". Each "dataframe" has "cumulativeTmsec" and elements called "dataItems" The "dataItems" have the "Name"and "ItemValue".. You need to walk through the data and pull out all the "cumulativeTmsec" and "dataItem/itemValue"s then reformat in a columnar fashion.

It turned out to not be too hard to parse the xml data in C# once I figured out the class methods to do so.. I also needed a configuration file to reassign data labels to something MLV can use. For instance the data label for "MAP" is "d_map" in the xml file.. It's better to give that data the label "MAP" as MLV has features that recognize that label.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Got it working. Now to figure out how to used MLV to better the tune..

ve adjustment is simply ve new - ve current. I suspect that this can be used to adjust VEs..

Quick Reply: HARLEY: Reformatting Data Output by Street Tuner