The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: New tune - New device?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:49 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New tune - New device?

Hi guys,
Thought I'd post up some questions here re: a planned new tune and whether it's worth it to get a new tuning device. A few specifics of my current build/tune:
103"
Ported heads with larger intake (1.6" or 1.8" intake? CRS) stock exh valves
Andrews 54H cams with SE 1.725 rocker arms
HPI 54mm TB
V&H V02 intake
V&H 2-1 pro pipe/baffle mod
H-D SEPRT last tuned in 2012 by A Harp at Kutter

Fast forward five years and I'm contemplating a new tune. Not too unhappy with the bike performance but thinking it could be a bit better. My tuners of choice this go round would be my SEPRT or switch to a PCV or PV. Which leads to my main question: Do/are the current crop of PCV or PV tuners capable to enough additional tuning to justify the cost expenditure? A SEPRT tune is in the area of $300. The PCV/PV tune cost is approx same + licensing fee + device cost (PCV). I could use a buddies PV and just pay licensing + tune. NOT a question of tuners but whether the benefits/capabilities of new/current devices are worth the extra cost? Thanks for your experienced input.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

There is absolutely no reason to buy a new tuning device.
What you have is more than capable of handling any tuning issue your build could throw at it.
That said, it's important you find a competent tuner who uses the SEPST routinely.
If you are bent on buying a new device, it is more important to buy the device whatever the chosen tuner prefers. The results will be directly related to the tuner's ability to use the tuning system to its full potential.
HTH,
Bob

Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Originally Posted by troop
Hi guys,
Thought I'd post up some questions here re: a planned new tune and whether it's worth it to get a new tuning device. A few specifics of my current build/tune:
103"
Ported heads with larger intake (1.6" or 1.8" intake? CRS) stock exh valves
Andrews 54H cams with SE 1.725 rocker arms
HPI 54mm TB
V&H V02 intake
V&H 2-1 pro pipe/baffle mod
H-D SEPRT last tuned in 2012 by A Harp at Kutter

Fast forward five years and I'm contemplating a new tune. Not too unhappy with the bike performance but thinking it could be a bit better. My tuners of choice this go round would be my SEPRT or switch to a PCV or PV. Which leads to my main question: Do/are the current crop of PCV or PV tuners capable to enough additional tuning to justify the cost expenditure? A SEPRT tune is in the area of $300. The PCV/PV tune cost is approx same + licensing fee + device cost (PCV). I could use a buddies PV and just pay licensing + tune. NOT a question of tuners but whether the benefits/capabilities of new/current devices are worth the extra cost? Thanks for your experienced input.
Some of what you want to do for the tuner is dependent on what you want to do for the next build.. Go higher on the cr? More heads work, more compression? Take it to 107/110/113/117? How competent is the tuner.. If it's Arron doing the tune I suspect it will be good..

Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Since my last tune, the only change has been my intake. Don't foresee any changes in the future. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:41 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,233 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Since my last tune, the only change has been my intake. Don't foresee any changes in the future. Thanks for the input.
Ok so you are not planning on changing anything just simply freshening the current tune.. Do you think there are issues? One thing for sure changing tuners won't get you much.. If you plan on retuning, check fuel pressure / system first..

Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

.... Don't foresee any changes in the future. Thanks for the input.
"Famous last words"! Lol

Bob