The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: FP3 install - first run.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts
Default FP3 install - first run.

Well, I finally figured out that maybe it was time to do something about the way my bike was running, which wasn't really good. I was somewhat disappointed in it until the 5K service, when it seemed to wake up a bit. After much deliberation, talking to the dealer, the forums, and general research, I decided to purchase the Vance & Hines Fuel Pack 3. I saw in one of the threads that the guys at HogPro were saying they had it for a good price. I decided to drop them an e-mail. I am glad I did. Anyone who is considering purchasing one of these units might want to do the same. Shipping was fast and free, and the price, well, let's just say it'd be hard to beat. President's day held up my shipment for one day, so I found the tracking number, and actually went over this morning and picked it up from the post office before the mailman took it out for delivery.

I had watched a few videos about it, so I somewhat knew what to expect. I connected it to the bike, and tunred the bike on. I had already downloaded the app. Once it was ready, it connected to the phone, and immediately downloaded an update from Vance & Hines. The on screen instructions were very good. I have Rinehart 4 inch slip-ons. I used the map for the twin slash rounds, which, according to all I researched, were probably about as close as I would get to the pipes.

Once the bike was flashed, I started it up, and immediately noticed the difference in idle. It was much smoother than it had ever been before, and I let it warm up a bit, while still connected to the phone and my network, in case of issues. I would recommend that you do not shut down the app after you have it started, because it will try to look for an update every time. It also does not work too well in landscape mode, at least, not with the sensors submenu, because it doesn't scroll, and you cannot hit the button that says you understand about riding and looking at your phone.

I rode out onto the highway heading west. I rode for about 15-20 minutes, and got the bike up to temp. I was thinking that it was good enough, but temptation got the best of me, and I decided to try an auto tune. I ran 3 sessions at about a half hour each, and then applied the changes to the map. Every time I ran it I got lot's of green, so it was the best thing to do. Once I got done with the third session, here at the house, I went ahead and finished it. I figure that if I need to run it again, no biggie, since there's a lot more slots for maps, and I will get a chance to check it out next time I ride, since the bike had to warm up before you can run it anyway.

I have already noticed a significant difference in the smoothness of the engine, better power delivery, and much more stable at idle. Totally worth it in my book. The biggest difference was that the engine, although hotter, wasn't nearly as crackly once parked. Anyone who's rode a Harley know what they sound like after a ride. Yeah, well, not a whole lot of that. The bike did feel warm, but not like, fry an egg warm. All in all I am liking it so far. If I come across any other talking points, I will be happy to post them up.

The videos I watched were on youtube, and the app itself does have a demo mode, so if you want to take a look at it before you decide what to do, you can download it for iphone and android. LawabidingBiker has a nice long video that covers just about everything, as well as the RevZilla one. Props to both for help in making the decision to go with it.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I just installed mine yesterday. The first thing I noticed how smoother it was at 25 mph in the neighborhood. Before I would ride in 2nd gear. First gear would **** off the neighbors as I was running high rpms. But 2nd gear would really lug the engine. With the fp3, 2nd gear was very smooth

Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey irin did you autotune, tomorrow gonna be 60 here,im gonna run a ayto tune session on her to osee if i can pull some more from her....

Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

I just ran a 2nd autotune session. Got a lot more throttle variations. The bike seems to be coming into it's own.

I also ordered a 3brpowersports charging harness for the Hydro Wave. If the claims are true, then it should be a watertight system. I'll be able to keep my phone charged while running the fp3, NAV, and google play.

Listening to tunes, having gps, and being able to monitor the bike all at once through the phone. Baggers move over. It all works, but it sucks the battery down fast in the phone. As long as I can keep it charged, I should be ok.

So far, I am loving the fp3. I have also calibrated my speedo, though it wasn't really that far off. I also went to standard plus on the throttle. Much better reaction time and easier to ride.

Once I get this thing powered correctly, it'll be a go anywhere bike. Compared to the way it was prior to the fp3, it's now very rideable. Before the fp3, it was spending a lot of time parked. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I haven't had a chance to auto tune yet. After I installed it, the weather turned cold, got a bunch of rain, and work got busy. I know, Blah, blah, blah. I also plan on doing the standard plus on the throttle to get a little more response.

One Thing I did notice was that I can't seem to have the FP3 connected, while my radio is connected to my phone. It seems I can only bluetooth connect to one device at a time. Has anyone succesfully connected to both at the same time?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 PM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I had very similar experience when I installed my FP3 about a week ago. After installing and flashing the map, I went on a quick run to fill up with gas. Once I got to the pump I noticed how much hotter the bike was just sitting on it. After returning home I gave Vance & Hines a quick call and the tech suggested setting the decel pop to "one firecracker". Made that change and it seemed to eliminate most of the high temps the motor was putting off. I've been very happy with the way it's been running so far, haven't done an auto tune yet, but I'm sure curiosity will get the better of me soon.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iron25
I haven't had a chance to auto tune yet. After I installed it, the weather turned cold, got a bunch of rain, and work got busy. I know, Blah, blah, blah. I also plan on doing the standard plus on the throttle to get a little more response.

One Thing I did notice was that I can't seem to have the FP3 connected, while my radio is connected to my phone. It seems I can only bluetooth connect to one device at a time. Has anyone succesfully connected to both at the same time?
Is the fp3 visible in the bluetooth list when you connect? If so, then check the settings and see if there's any switches set for it like audio or something else. Some phones have bluetooth limitations. It could be the phone.

The other suggestion is to drop a msg to V&H.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

I just got done installing the 3br powersports waterproof USB connector and have the red band charging cable with the tapp cap installed. I did it by the book, got the stuff from Harley to install the auxiliary power, lifted the tank and put it in right.

You don't know how happy I was when I powered on the bike and saw the cell phone charging. Yes!

The 3br connectors DO NOT work with the fairing bikes. They are incompatible with the radio system. Something to do with noise.

The FP3 connected right up to the phone after the install. Can run it along with tunes and be good to go all day now. IDK why Harley still hasn't done something like this for the bikes that don't have fairings. Most manufacturers include USB ports. Most people who run cell phones run them at the bars. I love the new usb port, but I'd like it a whole lot better if it was chrome, like the bars, and had decent hardware, instead of a sticky tape backing. I've seen others, but IDK if they are waterproof when the usb cable is plugged in. That's the only reason why I went with 3br. Cause like, never get caught in rain out there, right?

Also put in SE plug wires and plugs. I've yet to ride it. but after starting it up, it seems to be running a little stronger.

And, engine gauges, from the fp3 are an added bonus. Need to do a test ride. May be back in a couple days or so.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Some photos of what the power port looks like installed.

WIll keep the phone charged while running the fp3 and tunes, or tunes and gps.

Actually ran tunes, gps, and the fp3 running gauges for testing, but no reason to run all three at once, normally.

Attached Thumbnails FP3 install - first run.-kimg0071.jpg   FP3 install - first run.-kimg0068.jpg