The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: fp3 with stage 2 103" Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:24 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Ya, I was playing with the FP3 today, and noticed for the first time, that you can now choose either "Quick Setup" or "Advanced Setup" under AutoTune. The advanced has Start Engine Temp, Desired AFR, 02Voltage, and Number of Samples...and you can change the #s for each.
Thanks for the heads up RockerB. I'll check it out. Just got off work. I was ready to go back to the stage 1 and auto tune from there, as I believe it would be closer than the stage 2 map. As Gordon pointed out, If Your base map is ****.. So is the rest of it, without a lot of unecessary auto tune runs.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Ya, I was playing with the FP3 today, and noticed for the first time, that you can now choose either "Quick Setup" or "Advanced Setup" under AutoTune. The advanced has Start Engine Temp, Desired AFR, 02Voltage, and Number of Samples...and you can change the #s for each.
Did it do a software update ?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Hmm..
I just took a cursory glance.
I don't have time to devote to it tonight, but would it be a safe assumption that if you increase the sample rate it will learn cells faster, as long as your data covers a broader range of rpm and tp?

I'll have to run an auto tune tomorrow with the O2 Voltage @ 0.7 and the sample rate increased....
And ride it like my X wife's sister for a few hrs????

Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm going to shift gears a little here. I've got a tune worked up to try that Mac put together for my setup. Now how to get the csv file tables on to the fp3 without having to manually populate each cell manually? Any one tried and discovered a way to pull this off? I have the tables, but would take hours to manually enter that data. Tried last night and failed miserably.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by petejoe43
I'm going to shift gears a little here. I've got a tune worked up to try that Mac put together for my setup. Now how to get the csv file tables on to the fp3 without having to manually populate each cell manually? Any one tried and discovered a way to pull this off? I have the tables, but would take hours to manually enter that data. Tried last night and failed miserably.
Supposedly the latest firmware update allows sharing of maps via email. No experience doing so.

Version 3.2.0
This version adds the odometer and a trip odometer to the View Sensor Data screen. You can now share maps with other FP3 users via email or text and you can add contact info to our database. We have also done some cleanup and fixed a few bugs. Thank you for using FP3 and keep sending us your suggestions for features and improvements!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

Not sure how your doing your auto tune sessions , here's a write up I followed to get a pretty populated cell grid :

Each BLOCK of the chart represents a specific area of RPM range and TPS%. Once a specific RPM and TPS% is reached or attained, the FP3 will start learning that area ( BLOCK ) on the the chart and turn from white to ORANGE. ORANGE means it’s logging data, but hasn’t fully learned yet… IT NEEDS MORE DATA! Now each time you ‘hit’ that area again, it will continue to learn and make adjustments until it has completed and locked it in…. once that happens, the BLOCK will turn GREEN. How many times must you hit that same range in the BLOCK is unknown... how long you have to stay in that same range within the BLOCK is also unknown….sorry… it’s the truth. What I am saying is the time for each BLOCK to learn varies a lot. Some will learn very quickly… other’s won’t. YOU WILL NEVER GET 100% of the TABLE populated to GREEN…. Just know that. You are trying to get AS MUCH AS YOU CAN by varying your riding style and I will get into that later.

I have had several conversations with many people who didn’t quite understand ( which led me to write this ). After installing the FP3 and starting the Auto-Tune Process, they headed down the freeway. 200 miles later, they think they are done… only to look at their table to find a very small portion of the table has been populated. Knowing what you just read in the previous paragraph should have helped you understand why.

Here is a 50 mile freeway run I did. Leaving my house ( 1 mile to freeway )

Screenshot after I got back... another 50 miles.... very little change... except a few Wide Open Throttle runs were done to initiate more learning of the TABLE ( you will understand this later down this thread, so remember it ) and a little aggressive throttle on the takeoffs to initiate blocks in the lower RPM ranges... compare the two pics and you can see more ORANGE in the Upper-left and Lower-right quadrants of the TABLE.

Cruising down the freeway at 65-75 mph in 6th gear for an extended period of time will populate a small area of blocks on the table since you have maintained time in those areas… slowing down a bit, getting on the throttle to pass… etc…. these small but effective changes in RPM’s and TPS% over and over has enabled the FP3 to LEARN your cruise mode quickly….But what about the rest of the table? The low RPM’s and low TPS% as well as the high RPM’s and high TPS%.... how do you MAKE IT LEARN? That is why it is important to vary your riding style…. I call it ‘FORCING THE TUNE’ to the FP3. You have to make it learn by putting your throttle and RPM’s within those BLOCKS that need to be learned.

***This does take some time and some riders will be moved out of their comfort-zone in riding style, I’m sure of it. ONLY DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!!! What I mean is, if you are not comfortable doing certain things, DON’T. I am just trying to explain HOW to get the most out of your FP3 tuner.***

So… we have the center portion of our TABLE populated in GREEN from the freeway run… good! Let’s move onto some slow city driving and stop and go traffic scenarios.

Low RPM’s and low TPS%

Putting around town from light to light using VERY LITTLE throttle and keeping your RPM’s low will start to populate the upper-left region of the CHART. This is the low RPM/lowTPS% portion of the chart. This area of the chart can be time consuming ( and frustrating at times ) since your riding is not a constant speed or Throttle Position… it’s always changing… therefore it takes a little longer for the FP3 to lock in a GREEN BLOCK… be patient…. I know it’s hard.

After another ride with a little in town riding and a little more aggressive riding...

High RPM’s and High TPS%

A freeway onramp…. A back road, not too busy with traffic… etc…. GET ON IT!!!! This is the lower-right portion of the TABLE. This is the adrenalin-junkys’ best scenario!

***Like I said earlier… only do what you are comfortable doing!***

This lower-right portion of the TABLE is an AGGRESSIVE AREA requiring LOTS of throttle and HIGH RPM’s. If you are not used to riding in the 4000+ rpms, take it slow on the throttle… Street Glides LOVE the high RPM’s ( so do I ) and is a completely different and VERY responsive animal all the way to the REV LIMITER.

Your riding style MUST BE aggressive to populate this portion of the TABLE. Time of the day is important here since you don’t want to be in rush-hour traffic. Start on a freeway onramp… rollon your throttle rather quickly all the way to lock and hold it to the Rev Limiter (your bike will sputter)… SHIFT and twist throttle to the lock again…going thru the gears until you lose your comfort-zone. Remember, this has to be done several times ( not in a row, unless you are addicted to speed ) to enable the FP3 to populate the lower-right portion of the table. Onramps and back roads can also be used for50%-75% TPS and varying RPMS above 3500-6000rpms…. You will just have to monitor your table to see what areas you need to concentrate on to MAKE IT LEARN.

Aggressive riding for this portion of the TABLE can be used on the freeway as well…sometimes 3rd, 4th and 5th gear to keep your RPM’s in the upper range ( 4000+ rpm’s) depending on your speed. Again… maintaining and varying RPM’s and Throttle Position in those particular BLOCK areas will be key to quick population.

Even in the downtown/ back road Scenarios, somewhat aggressive riding can aid in the process… but only do what you are comfortable doing. Aggressive take-offs with 50% or more throttle position works.

Now… I don’t want riders to think I am suggesting UNSAFE riding styles… I am just illustrating EXAMPLES of how to achieve the goal of the MOST COMPLETE TUNE you can get from the FP3. You know your areas… what you can do ( or get away with ) BE YOUR OWN JUDGE. Unfortunately, we don’t have the luxury of the Dyno table and SEVERAL HOURS of running the SAME TYPE of styles I explained above… so we take it to the streets and freeways to accomplish this.

One more thing to explain… the difference between APPLY and FINISH…

When you use the APPLY command during an Auto-Tune session, you basically apply the learned values to the existing tune and continues the process. This will improve the performance, but has one major flaw…. THE TABLE IS WIPED CLEAN and you cannot monitor your progress from what you applied. It’s not lost, it’s saved and being used, but your TABLE starts clean at that point and you have no idea what you need to concentrate on. I don’t like it… therefore I wait until I am done and FINISH to save the completed Auto-Tune session.

At this point of the Auto-Tune Process, you will have to start TARGETING certain areas more to FORCE THE TUNE to those areas still in ORANGE... REMEMBER... 100% OF THE TABLE IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.. the outer edges are more difficult to achieve than those closer inward....especially in the lower RPM ranges and lower TPS% ranges.. do your best and ALWAYS MONITOR YOUR TABLE TO HELP ACHIEVE THE MOST LEARN BLOCKS POSSIBLE BY RIDING WITHIN THOSE RANGES

Old 03-19-2017, 01:09 AM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

Screen shots of a couple of my auto tune sessions.

Attached Thumbnails fp3 with stage 2 103" Hesitation-screenshot.jpg   fp3 with stage 2 103" Hesitation-3.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 04:14 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Now how to get the csv file tables on to the fp3 without having to manually populate each cell manually? Any one tried and discovered a way to pull this off? I have the tables, but would take hours to manually enter that data. Tried last night and failed miserably.
Been there, done that ...it's a right royal pita ...and did take hours!!

Sharing maps is a step forward, but it could still do with an offline mode of working. If the email to anyone function (not tried it yet) sends a file ...is it readable/tweakable?

Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do these tuners address ignition timing? As far as I can tell, spark tables are our timing adjustment.

Last edited by petejoe43; 03-19-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Do these tuners address ignition timing? As far as I can tell, spark tables are our timing adjustment.
Nope, not at this time.

FP3 does not show spark knock on the gauges. It gives you the spark tables to edit, but with no data to show you where the knock is happening then you're kind of stuck