The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: Issues with FP3 tuner or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Boatiac
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with FP3 tuner or not?

I have a 2015 Softail Classic. In January I installed a V&H 2 into 1 Pro Pipe with standard baffle, Arlen Ness Stage 1 air cleaner (using OEM cover) and a V&H FP3 tuner.

Downloaded and installed the recommended tune from V&H for my bike and setup.

First ride almost scared the crap out of me. Power difference was unbelievable! The only thing negative I noticed was popping on decel. Ran about 30 miles and applied learned values. Next ride I didn’t notice a lot of difference except popping on decel was completely gone. Only nice smooth sound on decel. Very happy!

I thought I was to just keep running the autotune and apply learned values.

Now over time, (about 800 miles) I have noticed the power isn’t quite what it was (or I have just gotten used to it), the exhaust now gurgles on decel. That began after about session 4. I just figured this too would go away over more sessions.

After recently (this morning) reading some other posts (older) It appears that maybe I have been doing this “autotune” wrong?????

I read that after doing the initial V&H map for my setup there is no need to do the autotune, as they (V&H) have mapped it the best? Anything else is overkill?

It also (from reading) seems that applying the learned values does make changes but until it is “finalized” the changes are not really applied? That is confusing. I thought it made changes with each "apply" and then continued with learning more. Am I reading this wrong?

It wasn’t until after doing 2 or 3 autotunes that I realized it was applying these "session" tunes to the original download (I thought it was saving to new files so to speak).

Can I delete the original downloaded V&H map and everything done to it up to this point and re-download the original V&H map and start over? Only this time save each autotune session as a new map? That way I could go back to a session that I liked?

TIA

Last edited by Boatiac; 03-25-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 PM
onecoolpilot
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure about deleting one, I think you can but I'm not in a position to get to the garage to verify. However, you have a few spots to download maps to (5 maybe?), so you can download a new fresh one, flash it, then either ride with that, or run auto tune on the new one.

If I remember correctly, while in autotune mode, you have the option to apply learned values or finalize/flash the autotune. Apply puts in the stuff it has figured out (green and orange cells, maybe just green ones), but stays in autotune to continue learning. Once you're happy that it's learned enough, you can finalize it and that's the end of it.

Mine didn't run so good on the base map I downloaded, but I didn't have V&H intake or exhaust, so that may be part of it. After applying changes a few times, it started getting better and better. There are options in the latest firmware for decel pop, might be helpful, I haven't needed it.

Last edited by onecoolpilot; 03-25-2017 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boatiac (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:29 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes, you can flash the same base map and start over, but first you should hit "finish" on the session your running now, and see what you think. The bike wont run it's best during an A/T session, the air/fuel ratios are not set until "finish" is hit. You might want to just run the base map with no A/T. I've run A/T a few times on my Breakout since installing new cams, but have always flashed back to the base map, because it just runs better on the base map (edited for the cams). The V&H maps seem to be pretty much right on when running their pipes. I just did the cams on my Rocker a couple of months ago, and same thing, the map V&H set me is excellent, so I have no plans to run A/T session....Normally you can get a good session in with about a tank of gas, V&H says 30-45 min, but my experience has been that it takes 150-200 miles to get a sufficient number of cells learned. One thing I do when running A/T is to take a screen shot of the grid tracker before I hit "apply", and use them for comparisons, since the tracker gets wiped clean each time you hit apply.

Here's some Autotune info from V&H...

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-26-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Boatiac (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM
Boatiac
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks onecoolpilot and Rocker B. I had no idea about the "applying" and "finalizing" thing. I have "applied" after almost every ride but never finalized. Will do that today and see what happens. I did read to go through 1-2 tanks at V&H website, but some locals stated to just keep running the A/T. I absolutely loved the original V&H basemap just didn't like the decel popping. I think I will go back to original and only run 1 session to get rid of that pop and be done.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatiac
Thanks onecoolpilot and Rocker B. I had no idea about the "applying" and "finalizing" thing. I have "applied" after almost every ride but never finalized. Will do that today and see what happens. I did read to go through 1-2 tanks at V&H website, but some locals stated to just keep running the A/T. I absolutely loved the original V&H basemap just didn't like the decel popping. I think I will go back to original and only run 1 session to get rid of that pop and be done.
If you have any pop, use the "Decel Pop" reduction feature. It's under air/fuel when in "View/Edit maps". You pick 1,2 or 3 firecrackers depending on the amount of pop your getting. Start with 1 firecracker 1st. You'll want to use the least amount of firecrackers that eliminate the pop, because the more you use, the worse your mpg will be....

Boatiac (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Download the tune you started with and just add a couple of firecrackers. worked good for me and still have very decent fuel mileage to go along with the added power and smooth running.

Boatiac (03-27-2017)