The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

DYNOJET: Power Vision just to use it for the gauges,

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:45 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Default Power Vision just to use it for the gauges,

Will the power vision marry to the bikes ECM as soon as it's hooked up? If not can it be hooked up just to use as a monitor of engine functions?
My 2007 Road king runs great so I don't need a tuner. I would however like to install a Tachometer on it. I don't like the police tach setup and the speedo-tach combo is mounted to low. I do like the dragonfly tach and dynojet tach setup that mounts on the console above the speedometer. Problem is the Dragonfly is no longer made and the Dynojet says for 2008 and above.
I'm thinking about getting a Power Vision just to use it for the gauges.Will it marry to the bike automatically or do you have to initiate the union so you can download a tune?

Dynojet tach setup: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/505-538
Draginfly tach setup: http://www.pool-racing.com/VLQSZ/product-MC-DFATABR.htm

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM
MBrown
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if the gauges will work without marrying to the Ecm. But I do know you can run your stock tune if that's what you want to do, after you marry to your Ecm.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,593 Likes on 5,166 Posts

Power vision will not do anything until it is married to the bike.
That how they may sure it in used on one bike only unless you pay a fee for more than one.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

I was afraid of that. My plan was to use it as a tach for a while on the 2007. Then when I sell the bike to use it on a new bike or resell it. I guess that's not going to happen. Bummer.
I need to rig up a useable tach that is easy to see while riding and doesn't block the view of the big chrome headlight. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the replies. HMT

Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Think differently! Marry the tuner to the bike. Use it all summer for the Gauges.

WHen you get the new bike, pay $200 for a 'key'. Then you can use it on the next bike too.

The 'key' will allow you to marry the tuner to a new ECM. I will have a PV soon. I will marry it to my bike, or my partners bike. Play around, etc. Then... for each customer that wants a tune for cheap? I will sell them a dyno tune with a key. Instead of having to buy a new tuner, the customer can buy just the key, and the tune will be the same. This IS one of the things that makes me like the PV. The thing with the 'key'.

ANd... I am a TTS lover to the bone, but for $550 OTD for a tune, would be a GREAT deal for a customer! I'm LIKING the PV. I, as the shop owner, will absorb the intial cost of the PV unit, then use that same PV to sell" PV Key" tunes.

To the OP. In fact, look at it this way... Every bike you will own in the future... buy a $200 key and you could swap to however many bikes you wish.

A guy down the road from me bought the PV with the AT100 kit. He 'tunes' bikes by buying keys and then street tunes each bike that comes his way. Same can be done for DIYer folks. Your bud wants a tune? Lend him the unit, he pays for a 'key', and then his bike is tuned and YOU can simply put the until back on the bike you own. Really some cool stuff. ALL of the 'keys' work. So it will be simply adding a 'key' to the unit for each new bike, then to reinstall on your own bike, look for your key, and away ya go!

Last edited by wurk_truk; 03-30-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Do you have a tuner for your 07 now? If you end up having to marry the unit you can buy a second licence for around 200 bucks to use on a future bike.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

FWIW,

I connected my PV to my bike for the first time this afternoon. Having read this thread earlier in the day, first thing I did was go into Datalog->guages and setup some guages and watched them for a bit. The PV dDidn't ask about locking into the ECM/VIN of my bike. It wasn't until I went to load a tune that it asked me about locking in. So, it looks like you could use it for watching guages and it won't lock in on your VIN. I believe it will also read DTC's from other bikes than the one it's locked into as well.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

After some digging I found this on the dynojet site:
" How many motorcycles can I use the Power Vision on? The Power Vision will only be able to tune one motorcycle (flash it as many times as you like). It can be connected to other motorcycles to monitor / log data, check and clear DTC’s (diagnostic trouble codes), and reset adaptive learning. "
I don't know how my bike was tuned but it runs very good. I didn't get a tuner with it when purchased thru a dealer. So it looks like the power vision will work as a monitor for engine functions without marrying it to the bike. Thanks for all the replies. Rick

Old 04-11-2013, 06:16 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
After some digging I found this on the dynojet site:
" How many motorcycles can I use the Power Vision on? The Power Vision will only be able to tune one motorcycle (flash it as many times as you like). It can be connected to other motorcycles to monitor / log data, check and clear DTC’s (diagnostic trouble codes), and reset adaptive learning. "
I don't know how my bike was tuned but it runs very good. I didn't get a tuner with it when purchased thru a dealer. So it looks like the power vision will work as a monitor for engine functions without marrying it to the bike. Thanks for all the replies. Rick
Did you confirm this with DJ or FuelMoto? It would be nice to know the confirmed answer. Being able to use it to datalog other bikes would be something great to know.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Not yet. I just found the posted text on the Dynojet web site. I'm going to rtry and buy a used locked tuner and try it out. If its financially responsible. I've found new ones for 420 shipped.

Quick Reply: DYNOJET: Power Vision just to use it for the gauges,