"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Looking for Tampa area advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:06 PM
1200 Low Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Tampa area advice...

Me and the wife are headed down to Anna Maria Island for a week and thought about renting a bike for a day trip. I have never been to the Gulf side and know the Ocean side would offer a great ride down the coast on A1A. But, looking at the map from Tampa down just looks like highway. Is there a coastal road to ride down through towns and along the water over there??

Oh, and any good advice about Anna Maria??

Thanks

Old 10-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Anna Marie is a nice place. I lived on the mainland side a few miles from there for 10 years. There is not a coastal Highway on this side as there is a series of Key islands that run south divided by Sarasota bay and the inland waterway down to Venice. You can ride all of these but you have to go back to hwy 41 to get to the next one. Siesta has a north and south bridge but the south bridge is not all the way at the south end. They are all just mega wealthy mac mansions with little services or beach access for the most part so about all you can do is ride.

Siesta Key has a beach on the north end called Crescent Beach and is considered one of the top 5 beaches in the world.

Anna Marie is cool because they have prohibited the big condos from building yet so you only have two story buildings. Holmes beach, Bradenton Beach and Beer Can, Just over the Longboat Key draw bridge are both awesome beaches. You will see lot of boats on the sand bar hanging out when you go over the south drawbridge. Thats beer can. Cross the bridge and take your first right and go to the end off the road and park and walk back north.

Getting to the country on a bike from Anna Marie absolutely sucks as there is only traffic and red lights no matter how you go. When you do get out there the riding is nothing special and the roads are flat and straight for the most part. If I were you I would just rent a couple of scooters and enjoy the week there, no need to really leave the Island once you get out there.

Some good places to graze on Anna Marie are Sand Bar restaurant, North end of Island. Great place for a sunset dinner.

Skinnys, Little dive shack right across from Bradenton Beach. You will see it on your left when you get to the end of the road and turn to go north when first going out there. Great Burgers!

Bradenton Beach does an mean Pancake breakfast that is really good. This is right across the street from skinnys.

Mr Bones has some awesome BBQ and a good selection of Beers. Not your typical BBQ place and is a must do.

Anna Marie Oyster house sucks.

Cortez Kitchen is a great place to hang out and just have fun. Its a must do. You have to cross the south drawbridge back to the mainland and it is on the right about a 1/4 mile. It is off the road so look for the sign. They will probably tell you that you cant take the scooters across the draws but people go to Cortez all the time on them.

Road and Reel pier on the north end is ok to eat at but offers an impressive view of the Skyway,

Enjoy your trip and I am confident after spending a week there it will be clear to you why they say the west coast of Florida is Floridas best coast.

Last edited by Just Dave; 10-16-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Making me look up Anna Maria now.....