"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

is it time yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a blast at the rally. Got together with old friends, new friends, and laughed and rode. Can't wait until next year!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:31 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

To me the rally is what you make of it. I personally don't care if we have any kind of activities ....except riding and hanging with the crew. ...I mean that is what it's all about ...all the other stuff is fluff.
I had a great time.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:43 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I must have read Gator's post a little different. Without structure, a large group will eventually fall apart. I'm not suggesting we need a structure. I'm just stating my opinion. I know others from the past (who have moved away) have made similar statements. I also miss the way the Florida Crew use to be. I know "No Rules Just Ride". Well that is great in theory for individuals, but for larger groups it will not keep things going. Without people stepping up and taking charge of things, it will not happen. One thing I have learned is you can please some of the people some of the times, but you will never please everyone all of the time.

As for next year's rally, I have already planned on setting up the hotel reservations again. I will post it around June or July 2015. I believe Mike from Denny's will set up the BBQ for us next year so we will not need anyone for that. (if he is still there...lol) If anyone wants to take charge of the t-shirts, or other things, please step up and take charge.

I think people are afraid of structure with in the Florida Crew because they are afraid of commitment. They don't want to have to commit to anything or commit to anyone else's decisions. And that is okay. That is why we all ride different bikes and ride different styles. However, if "we" want to keep the rallies, and/or Crew, going strong I think it will take people taking charge and making it happen.

Go ahead and start bashing me. I know you are out there just waiting to read this.. I don't care. bash away. It's my opinion, and I'm tired of hold it back. I want the Florida Crew to grow in numbers and strength. So there!...lol

Old 11-26-2014, 08:03 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Murph you are right about a lot of things. I've only been around 2 and a half years but when I first was on the forum it seemed that the Crew was a lot more welcoming of new people and willing to suggest a ride so that newbies could meet and ride. That seems to have stopped. Things like the Rally would be better attended if people know each other, and no better way to get to know each other than to ride more frequently.

The Fl section also used to be chattier with more posts and replies. That's also slowed. It's supposed to be about events, rides and road reports but I don't see much of that these days. If the oldies would post up some of their local events, especially if they are going, perhaps others would ride with them or at least meet them at the event to say hi.
We can't make rules and we can't force anything but we can all make an effort to join in more frequently on the forum. We can all be more welcoming to newbies, we can all comment on each others posts, make suggestions, post up a ride, and generally breathe some life back in.

Everything changes, things are fluid, the Crew might never be what it was a few years back but different is not always bad.

And let's try to do a Crew ride every couple months. I've posted some in the past but if there's very few takers or too many drop outs the day before, it gets demoralizing, and it's stopped me trying again. So yeh somebody does have to take charge now and again. Let's have some fun because that's what it's all about.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:59 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

MJ and myself are planing a ride next weekend and will post it up during the week.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:23 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

People will step up when necesary. To make rules...like you must attend three meetings, participate in three sanctioned rides, be nominated buy three members...stand on your head, pat your belly...avow allegience. You lost me at 'must'. We do not have all, the same tolerence for FORMALITY. I have in the past, posted a ride. Supposed to meet some crew members....waited at the meeting spot near Titusville...for half hour. Finally called them on cell phone..only to find out they were in Tampa. I fell back on the 'no rules rule' and rode on. Could have used the extra 1/2 hour...but ieven if there was a rule...I was in the same spot. Rules bring conflict....votes.....vetos.....nominations....cli ques. The FLcrew will be what it is. Want to make rules? Will not be a member if you vote on it.

Chuck themensh

Old 11-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It ain't happening Chuck. No one in the Crew is looking for a Chief though some would like to have a tribe. The entire 1% lifestyle is based on freedom but even they are smothered in rules and their own social norms. I don't do well with rules and have either left or been asked to leave groups due to my irreverentness toward them. Of course sarcasm is my super power which creates problems in and of itself.