"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

wanting to rent bike in fort lauderdale area for 7 days

Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,981 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Default wanting to rent bike in fort lauderdale area for 7 days

Looking to rent bike in ft Lauderdale area and ride to Key West and up the coast also/ last 2 weeks of February . Will be just wife and I, looking for good eats- some nice day rides- and maybe recommend a home base hotel thats not too expensive but clean.Appreciate any and all input and suggestions--Thanks--Rocker

Old 11-26-2014, 08:43 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

There are a few places to rent bikes, Chesters which is west of Ft Lauderdale, Petersons Miami with a couple locations and Eagle Rider (I think both in Ft Laud and Miami).
Key West is about 3 hours south of Miami, check events down there first because prices and availability of hotels can vary, mid week cheaper than weekends. You don't really want to do any riding in Miami unless you like heavy traffic, also advise staying off I-95 around Miami.
Hopefully somebody else will chime in with hotel suggestions, maybe around Ft Lauderdale or even a little north. Riding south apart from the Keys is nothing special, most S Florida riding is either slow on A1A, highway to get north of Palm Beach and lots of traffic signals. But the weather is nice in February.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by uklauren
There are a few places to rent bikes, Chesters which is west of Ft Lauderdale, Petersons Miami with a couple locations and Eagle Rider (I think both in Ft Laud and Miami).
Key West is about 3 hours south of Miami, check events down there first because prices and availability of hotels can vary, mid week cheaper than weekends. You don't really want to do any riding in Miami unless you like heavy traffic, also advise staying off I-95 around Miami.
Hopefully somebody else will chime in with hotel suggestions, maybe around Ft Lauderdale or even a little north. Riding south apart from the Keys is nothing special, most S Florida riding is either slow on A1A, highway to get north of Palm Beach and lots of traffic signals. But the weather is nice in February.
Thanks--thought about Orlando-Kissimmee area for hotel and rental then riding down to Keys and back--or stay in Ft Lauderdale as a home base--do want to avoid Miami thanks for input much appreciated--Rocker

Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Eagle Rider is closest to the airport, actually very close. The Harley dealerships are farther away.

Orlando to south Florida is over 2.5 hours on the turnpike. Longer if you are on the north side of town. Orlando to Key West is a good little ride. 6 hours at least.

The keys will be the warmest obviously, but still can have a chill in the air.

That is prime season for the Keys. Book early. There are some B&Bs that are the same price or cheaper than some of the hotels.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-27-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for info. I'm sure I'll do Eagleriders. Have been thinking a loop around most of the state if weather permits or shorter loop from ft laud to cocoa beach to Naples to Key West we know we're spending at least 10 days can do 8 on bike. When the itenary is figured I'll post pics will follow in March. Thanks. Awesome. Suggestions and info --Rocker

Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

To see the Everglades, consider Billy Swamp Safari off the Alligator Alley at Snake Road ( turn off at the Indian fuel stop) or take Tamiami Trail west into the park. Look for Loop Road. It is gravel but no big deal. You will see critters several feet away.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker NH
Thanks for info. I'm sure I'll do Eagleriders. Have been thinking a loop around most of the state if weather permits or shorter loop from ft laud to cocoa beach to Naples to Key West we know we're spending at least 10 days can do 8 on bike. When the itenary is figured I'll post pics will follow in March. Thanks. Awesome. Suggestions and info --Rocker
A loop around Florida is over 1,750 miles.
A loop around the southern peninsula leaving the panhandle off is about 1,350 miles.
Your short loop is 850.
All doable in 8 days on a bike.

North Florida in February can get cold.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jonesee
A loop around Florida is over 1,750 miles.
A loop around the southern peninsula leaving the panhandle off is about 1,350 miles.
Your short loop is 850.
All doable in 8 days on a bike.

North Florida in February can get cold.
ya, afraid the northern part will be cold--we,ve done the Disney thing with the kids 5 or 6 times that time of the year--hit or miss on temps--I guess some freeway and some coastal will be done for time savings - pics and sightseeing are priority , couple good nights out also!!! Great info everyone

Old 12-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member

Bumping so I can get some ideas on clothing to pack. Research shows average temps mid 70s daytime to 60 evenings--Is this fairly accurate ? I guess my main concern is Jacket/ sweatshirt/ or just long sleeve shirts? In the Northeast hear I might put a jacket on 65 and below, so I guess riding in the hrs of say 8am-6pm maybe lightweight or just sweatshirt? Being 2 on the bike with saddlebags and 1 bag not much room too much----any insight appreciated---Rocker

Old 12-28-2014, 05:25 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Rocker if you're going at the end of Feb I'd suggest looking at a 10 day forecast nearer the time.

However, Fl meteorologists are totally useless but they can tell you what the weather was 5 minutes ago.

For sure bring raingear, that's a given in Florida. February will vary in temperature and also will depend how far north you go. It could be really cold and you will want leathers and chaps even in the Keys, but it can be warmer. Today we rode in T shirts but 2 days ago I was wearing leather and gloves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wanting to rent bike in fort lauderdale area for 7 days