"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Holiday tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:32 AM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool Holiday tips?

Hi People,
My family and I are planning a trip to the States this summer. It'll be our third or fourth visit to Florida, so it's starting to feel like a second home!
We've done the usual holiday stuff around Orlando, so this time, we're gonna try somewhere else in a southerly direction.
Marco Island has been suggested, so could be we'll be there.
Has anybody any thoughts on cool places to go? Bike shops-decent bar with live music-Hard Rock cafes-bike rental, or just anywhere or anything worth trucking along to.
Incidently, names Tony and I live in Dorsetshire, UK.
Regards
TD
Guess this is where you mean Lauren?

Old 11-29-2014, 12:26 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Rentals can be got from Chesters in Sunrise which is W of Ft Lauderdale by about half an hour, also Petersons in Miami (they have 2 locations) and HD W Palm Beach which is close to PBI airport. There is also Eagle Rider with a few locations.

Obviously the Keys is a nice run. 3-4 hours south of S Florida. Cafe 27 on Sundays is a huge biker gathering, vendors, food, alcohol, gas the bike up here before leaving for other destinations, live music, cool bikes. Ride north on 27 to South Bay and Lake Okeechobee or loop back to Palm Beach and Ft Lauderdale.
Lake Okeechobee (Lake O) is a nice loop to ride, cross East or West to the coast. There are not many roads to choose from for the most part, especially crossing coast to coast, all roads are pretty straight and flat.
The summer is hot as hell, you WILL need rain gear, and sunblock.
Here's a website you might find useful http://marmotweb.com/motorcycles/events.htm

Let us know when you're coming, perhaps some of the Crew can meet up for a ride.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Hey Tony, if you do visit Marco check out Stan's in Goodland. The foods not very good unless you get a burger off the grill outside, and the beer expensive. The Little Bar next door has very good food and drink at a reasonable price.

Further south on US41 is Joanie's Blue Crab Cafe. Cool place to stop and it has good food also.

Naples HD has bike rentals also.

BTW when are you arriving?

Last edited by Bertk; 11-29-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:58 AM
T D
Road Master
Cool

Thanx for the tips peeps, oil have to check them out. Going down to the Keys is already on the agenda as I've never been there b4.
I'm not sure if a bike hire will be an option as I've got the wife, daughter and mum in tow. As you might imagine, it could be difficult. I've thought that mebbe I could hire a sportster and slide off for an afternoon or a day.
We're coming over at the end of July, hoping to get a few days at Sturgess, then flying down to Florida afterwards for about a fortnight, so about the 4th or 5th of August. Flights were booked yesterday!
I'm hoping to get a billet rear brake and maybe some apes for the bike while I'm there. Any good aftemarket/custom outlets that I should check out? I was after a GMA to match the front, but I understand that they've gone to the wall. A bummer man!

TD

Old 11-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Bertk
Hey Tony, if you do visit Marco check out Stan's in Goodland. The foods not very good unless you get a burger off the grill outside, and the beer expensive. The Little Bar next door has very good food and drink at a reasonable price.

Further south on US41 is Joanie's Blue Crab Cafe. Cool place to stop and it has good food also.

Naples HD has bike rentals also.

BTW when are you arriving?
Bert

Is there a Bed & Breakfast in Goodland? I am thinking of taking in the Mullet Festival this year. May ride over Friday then home Sunday afternoon.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Gator
Bert

Is there a Bed & Breakfast in Goodland? I am thinking of taking in the Mullet Festival this year. May ride over Friday then home Sunday afternoon.

Not much in Goodland but trailer parks that I have seen. You may want to check the south end of Marko.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:31 PM
T D
Road Master
Cool

Just to get things back on track, we've booked for seven nites in Casper so that the area can be toured, with just a dip of the toe in Sturgess should there be anything on while we're there..
Fly into Rapid City 30th July.
Then down to Fort Myers on 5th August til the 21st.

TD

Old 12-26-2014, 09:04 AM
T D
Road Master
Cool

I'm hoping to get a billet rear brake and maybe some apes for the bike while I'm there. Any good aftemarket/custom outlets that I should check out? I was after a GMA to match the front, but I understand that they've gone to the wall. A bummer man!

TD[/QUOTE]
I've been checking around the place and Demon Cycles seem to have what I'm after in the handlebar department.
Has anybody done business with them?
I'm still trying to track down an outlet for GMA calipers. I understand that they've been taken over and are still trading.

TD