"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Bike on the Auto Train FL to VA - Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:39 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Gator
Murph brought his own straps and directed the tie down.
Not exactly how it happened. I only offered my straps because i did not know how they strapped the bikes down. once I saw how they did it, i tried to tell them to use their own straps. but they told me, "we know what we are doing". I did not say anymore and let them strap it down. I wish I would have "directed" them. It would have been strapped right, and not damaged to the tone of 10,500.00.

Lauren, as far as your question. I would suggest pay extra and get a private room. it moves you up a class and the food is a LOT better. i rode coach up and had a private cabin on the way back. It is almost impossible to sleep in coach... people moving around, kids running up and down the isles. very uncomfortable. jmho though. good luck.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:59 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
Not exactly how it happened. I only offered my straps because i did not know how they strapped the bikes down. once I saw how they did it, i tried to tell them to use their own straps. but they told me, "we know what we are doing". I did not say anymore and let them strap it down. I wish I would have "directed" them. It would have been strapped right, and not damaged to the tone of 10,500.00.

Lauren, as far as your question. I would suggest pay extra and get a private room. it moves you up a class and the food is a LOT better. i rode coach up and had a private cabin on the way back. It is almost impossible to sleep in coach... people moving around, kids running up and down the isles. very uncomfortable. jmho though. good luck.
$10,500? They totalled your bike? Private room gets different food? How many kitchens on this train?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two years ago I rode up to Massachusetts. When it was time to head back a big tropical storm was coming up to coast.

Hoping to avoid it I headed south early. First day I only made it 500 miles to Baltimore. Next morning storm had arrived so I booked the auto train and headed for VA at 4:30am. Ended up getting to the station 5 hours early soaked. I checked into a motel across the street to get a few hours sleep and dry my clothes in the dryer.

I had booked as single sleeper on the train. When bed was down it was like laying in a coffin. There was another bunk above me that was folded to the wall. Would've been really short on space had it been in the open position. Trip took 24 hours and seemed so slow I wanted to get to my bike and ride it off the back of the train so u could go faster.

Took forever to unload my bike. But when I got it, it was in perfect condition. They have you ride it on and then off the sled it gets strapped to.

I personally did not enjoy the train, but it was raining the whole way, and while I was texting and sleeping I was still making forward progress.

It rained so hard in Orlando I couldn't see thru my helmet lens, when I opened it to see. I thought I was going to drown.

As for the cost of train you need to pay for your bike, coach fare, PLUS the cost of the sleeper car. Food in the Dinning car was real good.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:36 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

Hard to tell if you were complaining or not. So it took 24 hrs to get to FL from Baltimore....and you were riding in a tropical storm. You get to Orlando and was raining so hard you could not see.
So, I am thinking taking the train was a good thing, right? But it was so slow you wanted to ride your bike...Now, I have been from daytona Beach to Washington DC....numerous times, and I know, on a good trip it is 12 1/2 hours....not stopping except for gas, an orange juice and a slim jim. Baltimore....another hour, say...loading/unloading from a train.....passengers and bull ****.....OK, 24 hrs.
Having rode fro South Carolina to Florida in a down pour on the interstate on a bike. The thought of sipping on a beer....even in a seat as comfortable as a greyhound.....seems, cozy. You couldn't sleep on a train, and you think you can on a bike....in a tropical storm? Sorry, sounds like a guy complaining the next day about the sex he had the night before. LOL

Chuck

Originally Posted by SoFla
Two years ago I rode up to Massachusetts. When it was time to head back a big tropical storm was coming up to coast.

Hoping to avoid it I headed south early. First day I only made it 500 miles to Baltimore. Next morning storm had arrived so I booked the auto train and headed for VA at 4:30am. Ended up getting to the station 5 hours early soaked. I checked into a motel across the street to get a few hours sleep and dry my clothes in the dryer.

I had booked as single sleeper on the train. When bed was down it was like laying in a coffin. There was another bunk above me that was folded to the wall. Would've been really short on space had it been in the open position. Trip took 24 hours and seemed so slow I wanted to get to my bike and ride it off the back of the train so u could go faster.

Took forever to unload my bike. But when I got it, it was in perfect condition. They have you ride it on and then off the sled it gets strapped to.

I personally did not enjoy the train, but it was raining the whole way, and while I was texting and sleeping I was still making forward progress.

It rained so hard in Orlando I couldn't see thru my helmet lens, when I opened it to see. I thought I was going to drown.

As for the cost of train you need to pay for your bike, coach fare, PLUS the cost of the sleeper car. Food in the Dinning car was real good.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Youtube has several video's just type "Autotrain motorcycle".
Amtrak offers a discount for AAA members.
If you have a motion alarm, remember to turn it off.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chuck,

You are always going off half cocked (maybe the reason for the complaining about the previous night's sex reference). They make a little blue pill for that you know.

What I presented, was a review of my experience, both good and bad, probably why you could not tell if I were complaining or not.

I spent 24 hours sitting around bored stiff, staring at 4 walls listening to kids screaming in a family car. It was most annoying when I looked out the window and saw the training being passed by cars and bikes. That is the con (for me).

I spent 24 hours out of the rain, and moving forward while I slept (which would not happen if I rode the distance). I also enjoyed a relaxed dinner in the dining car in which the food was very good. That is the Pro (for me).

Personally, I don't mind riding in the rain.... so long as I can see and breathe. That is if I'm already in it. There's only been a few occasions that I actually depart in the rain like last fall when I rode to Arizona.

Originally Posted by themensh
Hard to tell if you were complaining or not. So it took 24 hrs to get to FL from Baltimore....and you were riding in a tropical storm. You get to Orlando and was raining so hard you could not see.
So, I am thinking taking the train was a good thing, right? But it was so slow you wanted to ride your bike...Now, I have been from daytona Beach to Washington DC....numerous times, and I know, on a good trip it is 12 1/2 hours....not stopping except for gas, an orange juice and a slim jim. Baltimore....another hour, say...loading/unloading from a train.....passengers and bull ****.....OK, 24 hrs.
Having rode fro South Carolina to Florida in a down pour on the interstate on a bike. The thought of sipping on a beer....even in a seat as comfortable as a greyhound.....seems, cozy. You couldn't sleep on a train, and you think you can on a bike....in a tropical storm? Sorry, sounds like a guy complaining the next day about the sex he had the night before. LOL

Chuck

Old 06-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I think the fact that Lauren paid the bucks for the cabin she won't have the problem with kids. I had a seat in the regular section, and I ended up meeting some great folks near me and BS'ing until I was tired and we went to bed. By that time the train was quiet.

I agree that the food was really good and I again met some great folks at dinner. I checked out the bar car for a little while, it was fun too.

You can bring on a soft sided cooler if you like, so that can keep you occupied as well. There are electrical plugs at the seat so I watched a movie on my computer before I went to sleep.

I had a great experience and hope to do it again one day.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:50 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

OK....I went off half cocked! LOL.....I still want to know more about the bike that sustained over $10,000
damage on the train.
One time I had heard you could assist in strapping the bike down, and then I hear they do not allow it.
But $10K......seems like they totalled it.

Chuck

Old 07-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Lone Cabbage
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Me and a buddy put our bikes on the AutoTrain a couple of years ago and we had a great time and the bikes made it without a scratch. As others have said bring a cooler with your beverages of choice because they hit you pretty hard at the bar. The food is very good and the people we met were great. I am looking forward to doing it again someday soon.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Leaving Saturday and looking forward to the trip.

Quick Reply: Bike on the Auto Train FL to VA - Tips?