"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Horns & FL Law

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:22 AM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Judicious used of a horn sometimes, usually(?), precludes the need for "either throttle or brakes and evasive maneuver......". At least that has been my experience.
Problem is a lot of "distracted" drivers can't hear anything because the AC is blowing, radio is blasting and they are on an "important" call...... It's a jungle out there so we have to assume no one hears or sees us on 2 wheels.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaHarleyRider
Problem is a lot of "distracted" drivers can't hear anything because the AC is blowing, radio is blasting and they are on an "important" call...... It's a jungle out there so we have to assume no one hears or sees us on 2 wheels.

True that, of course there's the option of one of those horns Joe has...think a big truck fixin to run over them. I bet he gets a kik out of that horn. *laffs

Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
True that, of course there's the option of one of those horns Joe has...think a big truck fixin to run over them. I bet he gets a kik out of that horn. *laffs
I do indeed...that horn is so loud it hurts my ears. When people aren't looking at me and I blow that air horn at them it gets their attention.

For the reasons stated above I find a loud horn a necessity.

My boy and I put a Cadillac 4 horn system on my Prius, it has the same effect, it gets their attention but in that case people look all around to see which Caddy blew their horn at them.

http://youtu.be/WGwESKR_8TU

Old 06-20-2015, 08:07 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

I'm just sharing my experience, garnered from riding year around since 7/68. Of course cell phones are a recent factor, but local drivers have always had ACs. And in addition, we have a lot of tourists, and a constantly growing/changing population which means a lot of people don't know where they are or are trying to go. 'Driving' is far down on their list of priorities.

I can't count the number of times my horns have 'saved my bacon'. I know this because although they were 'looking me in the eye', it wasn't until after using my horn that they had a look of recognition. And sometimes this happened when a "throttle or brakes and evasive maneuver......." would have been too late. Some people discount the value of horns because they are promoting the 'loud pipes save lives' mantra, you are proud of your ability to use a "throttle or brakes and evasive maneuver.......".

Nothing is foolproof, but judicious use of a horn has worked for me. And I have been faced with bad situations, possible left turns or people pulling out in front of me, countless times. And the only time anyone tried to pull out when they shouldn't was when a 94 year old man had his vision blocked by a big delivery truck stopped waiting to turn into a driveway that the old man was exiting. I couldn't see him either and hadn't used my horn, which probably wouldn't have helped in that situation.

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-20-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

^^^ Totally agree rjg....I do exactly the same.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've been riding for about 50 years, the last 25 on Harleys. For some reason, I just find the horn button hard to find. Always have to think "where the hell is it?" whenever I need it & by then, it's too late. If it were my decision, I'd put the starter switch on the left & the horn button on the right. Of course I'm old, dumb & right handed.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:38 PM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
I've been riding for about 50 years, the last 25 on Harleys. For some reason, I just find the horn button hard to find. Always have to think "where the hell is it?" whenever I need it & by then, it's too late. If it were my decision, I'd put the starter switch on the left & the horn button on the right. Of course I'm old, dumb & right handed.
I agree, by the time you blow the horn you could have been executing an evasive maneuver in many cases. The ProRider advanced motor course I took will most likely save my a.. before any horn. Blow the horn at the idiots after you're safe so they know they screwed up.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:35 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

I agree, by the time you blow the horn you could have been executing an evasive maneuver in many cases. The ProRider advanced motor course I took will most likely save my a.. before any horn. Blow the horn at the idiots after you're safe so they know they screwed up.

Or proper use of a horn can possibly prevent a need for "executing an evasive maneuver". I agree there are times it is too late for anything, but I would imagine the "ProRider advanced motor course" taught you to be aware of your surroundings?

And you were probably taught to be a proactive, and not a merely a reactive, rider?

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-21-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Or proper use of a horn can possibly prevent a need for "executing an evasive maneuver". I agree there are times it is too late for anything, but I would imagine the "ProRider advanced motor course" taught you to be aware of your surroundings?

And you were probably taught to be a proactive, and not a merely a reactive, rider?

Hey, this wasn't a topic to turn into a pee contest. Stop it.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,422 Likes on 1,546 Posts

The last couple of times I needed my horn I left blinked the hell out of them....

Quick Reply: Horns & FL Law