"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Horns & FL Law

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Hey, this wasn't a topic to turn into a pee contest. Stop it.
I agree. But this forum is used by some newbies looking for advice, right? So I originally posted what has worked for me, for a lot of years/miles/time in the saddle.

Then when I read advice that I know, from experience, is counter to what has worked for me, I share that fact.

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-24-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:37 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frostbite
The last couple of times I needed my horn I left blinked the hell out of them....
Been there, done that, especially when I first switched from metric to Harley.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:30 AM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Hey, this wasn't a topic to turn into a pee contest. Stop it.
Sorry if I contributed to this. I just didn't hear anything about "proper use of a horn" in any MSF or advanced motor course I took, and will leave it at that.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:20 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FloridaHarleyRider
Sorry if I contributed to this. I just didn't hear anything about "proper use of a horn" in any MSF or advanced motor course I took, and will leave it at that.
And I will leave it with this:

When I was in college, learning how to write computer software, I was the probably the best student. 'A's on all my tests, grades, etc.. And I was the person the other students sought out for assistance in the computer labs where we applied the things we had learned by reading books, and listening to lectures in class.

Then, after graduation, I began working in the field. And while I was fully competent to do simple, maintenance type programming, it wasn't until I had practical experience that I was good enough to handle complex assignments. Or until other programmers came to me for assistance. There are things to learn from books or lectures and there are things that are learned through experience.

An MSF or advanced motor course cannot be expected to teach 'all the tricks'. There is always something to learn, use, to improve riding safely.

Last edited by rjg883c; 06-22-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

What RJG said.

At some point you quit saying that my mom told me this, or my dad did that...

Usually when you are old enough to have enough of your own experiences.

You quit worrying about what the MSF course said with miles and years of experience.

Last edited by Jonesee; 06-22-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
What RJG said.

The MSF course is not going to replace miles and years of experience.
This is true. I have a 12 year old who wants to learn to drive a stick shift and drive in general and sometimes I tell him everything I'm doing as we drive in traffic....it's interesting to actually see how many things we look at while we attentively drive, knowing who's around you everywhere, where your escape routes are. I hope he gets it from this training and remembers to always know his surroundings.

I do consider the horn the be a safety item. Despite your best efforts sometimes you don't have a safe escape route and your best option is to blow the horn and wake the other guy up.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:21 PM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
What RJG said.

You quit worrying about what the MSF course said with miles and years of experience.
I have over 45 yrs on bikes - and if anyone thinks they know more than a skilled motor officer I wish them luck on the road. While you all are blowing your horns, I'll be evading the problem using the skills I learned.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I have over 45 yrs on bikes - and if anyone thinks they know more than a skilled motor officer I wish them luck on the road. While you all are blowing your horns, I'll be evading the problem using the skills I learned.
I'm still learning to ride.
Someday I will get the hang of it.

Honking my horn and flailing my arms has worked so far.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Using my horns to prevent problems from occurring is a way I have found to prevent a need to 'evade' problems. Do you think your time on an official LEO scooter, which doesn't really reflect how life is for the rest of us, has colored your view? Different strokes for different folks?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

If horns didn't function as a safety device there wouldn't be horns on cars or bikes since what, the model T?

My favorite quote from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:
Caractacus Pott: You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.
Clearly and undeniably, horns are a tool useful in the pursuit of safe driving. Along with proper accident avoidance skills and sharp situational awareness. All good tools and I'll use any and all to my advantage while on the mean streets.

FloridaHarleyRider I highly respect the skill of the motor officers on our roads and I would love to take the training someday. I have been riding for 33 years and can always hone my skills. I bought the DVD from Ride Like a Pro, Jerry Motorman Palladino and hope to take his class this summer to further enhance my skills. Even the DVD made a huge change in my riding skills and I imagine the course will be a game changer. it's not all the training you have but I think it will help.

Quick Reply: Horns & FL Law