"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Horns & FL Law

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts
Default Horns & FL Law

I can't remember ever having to use my horn.

With that said, I'm wondering if I've missed something in the FL motorcycle laws, I can't seem to find anywhere in the laws where it's mandatory.

Does anyone know if it's required or not?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:44 AM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
I can't remember ever having to use my horn.

With that said, I'm wondering if I've missed something in the FL motorcycle laws, I can't seem to find anywhere in the laws where it's mandatory.

Does anyone know if it's required or not?
TITLE XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

316.271 Horns and warning devices.—
(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet.
(2) No horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.
(3) The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, give audible warning with his or her horn.
(4) No vehicle shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.
(5) It is permissible but not required that any vehicle be equipped with a theft alarm signal device which is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.
(6) Every authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 500 feet and of a type approved by the department, but such siren, whistle, or bell shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which event the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren, whistle, or bell when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach thereof.
(7) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, a trolley may be equipped with a bell, and the bell is not required to be used only as a warning device. As used in this subsection, the term “trolley” includes any bus which resembles a streetcar, which is powered by overhead electric wires or is self-propelled, and which is used primarily as a public conveyance.
(8) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

FloridaHarleyRider...thnx, knew I was missing something. Have to relocate it, hopefully find one that I can fit to the front lightbar. Cheers

Old 06-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I love my Steibel air horn. It's LOUD and I use it a lot.

See where I mounted mine, but you could mount it on the front frame rail, I've seen guys do that easily with a simple mount they built.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-springer.html

Old 06-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Thnx for input, Joe. Putting a plan together here, horn relocation part of it now. Seen where several went to the swingarm and front frame. Was thinking a couple of mini Heritage mini nostalgas on the Deluxe lightbar might be interesting. Still in thinking mode here, I do know my Whisky Amber paint scheme is in for a makeover in the near future and while were at it a few other lil things...heheh

Old 06-18-2015, 04:05 PM
FloridaHarleyRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FloridaHarleyRider...thnx, knew I was missing something. Have to relocate it, hopefully find one that I can fit to the front lightbar. Cheers
Even though the letter of the law says all vehicles, I have never known anyone to get hassled because they didn't have a horn on their ride. No inspection here so doubtful you would ever have a problem. I never use mine anyway, if I see a problem it's either throttle or brakes and evasive maneuver.......

Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaHarleyRider
Even though the letter of the law says all vehicles, I have never known anyone to get hassled because they didn't have a horn on their ride. No inspection here so doubtful you would ever have a problem. I never use mine anyway, if I see a problem it's either throttle or brakes and evasive maneuver.......
I execute evasive maneuvers about every ride down here...lol but I also give them a blast of this from time to time when appropriate (like texting and weaving over in front of me, or most frequent when texting and waiting to turn out and not looking up at me approaching). I actually flash my high beam too sometimes.

Thnx for input, Joe. Putting a plan together here, horn relocation part of it now. Seen where several went to the swingarm and front frame. Was thinking a couple of mini Heritage mini nostalgas on the Deluxe lightbar might be interesting. Still in thinking mode here, I do know my Whisky Amber paint scheme is in for a makeover in the near future and while were at it a few other lil things...heheh
I saw a post where somebody put a black Steibel between the frame rails up front, you couldn't see it really unless you were looking. I can't locate the post now...but you get the idea?

I'm a big fan of the Steibel as it's obnoxiously loud and is super cheap on eBay. I think I paid like $40 or something.

Last edited by Joe_G; 06-18-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:54 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Seen many choppers/rat bikes with a bicycle BULB horn located somewhere on the bike.

Chuck

Old 06-19-2015, 01:43 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

@ FloridaHarleyRider...probably the route I go > none

@ Joe...I'll keep that model in mind, never know, front frame always an idea

@ Mensh...I got a chuckle over that, I forgot all about the old days and the bicycle horns. It was a statement back then, never did it myself but remember a few who did.

Weekend's here guys, y'all have a good Father's Day weekend. Wife booked us Saturday night Ana Maria > woohoo > Ya kno you're getting old when it's Ana Maria weekend, I'll probably kill over if the band does polka > lmfbo

Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaHarleyRider
I never use mine anyway, if I see a problem it's either throttle or brakes and evasive maneuver.......
Judicious used of a horn sometimes, usually(?), precludes the need for "either throttle or brakes and evasive maneuver......". At least that has been my experience.

Quick Reply: Horns & FL Law