"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Auto Train Sanford to Lorton Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:41 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default Auto Train Sanford to Lorton Report

Just got home from a week's trip, about 2500 miles and 5 states.

Anyway here is my report of the train ride.

About a 3 hour trip to Sanford, we arrived around noon even though latest check in was 1pm. There was no line and we went straight to the motorcycle ramp. 2 bikes per 'trailer', they tie them down while you sit on your bike but I wasn't happy with the straps against my front fender and forks so I stuffed microfiber cloths between. Then it's hurry up and wait to board the train at 3.30. Then we sat and sat while the AC broke down , then the engine had to be changed out and we finally left about 2 hours late. The train was not full and there were only 5 bikes in total.

The roomettes are minute, maybe 40 sq feet. There is a wide seat arrangement for 2 facing each other, with no room to stretch out or for shoes or night stuff so it feels ultra cramped. Coffee making facilities and toilet (airplane size) along the carriage . Dinner was pretty good in the restaurant car with about 4 choices of entrees, wine/beer extra.There are a couple lounges and a bar, and they show a family movie.

While you're gone to dinner they turn the roomettes into bunks, this was the fun (not) part as I got volunteered by my friend to take the top bunk. Being close to 60 years old it was not easy to get my fat backside up the steep side steps and turn to get onto the top bunk as there is no more than a foot between the bed and the ceiling. There is nowhere to put anything near you and it's almost impossible to turn over at night. The train whooo whoooooed ALL night and the bed was about 2 foot wide so I basically laid motionless for 8 hours and barely slept.

Next morning they wake you about 6 ish, it took me about 15 minutes to work out how to get down off the top bunk (not a pretty sight), quick wash and get dressed, and back to the restaurant car for a continental breakfast. We never did make up the 2 hour delay so we rolled into Lorton late, waited about 20 mins for the bike trailers to show up and they were unstrapped pretty quick.

I would do it again as it saves about 1000 miles of riding and a hotel night and hours of boring riding on I-95. It's about $300 per person sharing a roomette and including the bike, so it saves money too on gas and wear and tear. They have bigger rooms but I don't know what they cost but the roomettes are not terrible, and they are very clean.

I have some pics I'll post from my phone.

Last edited by uklauren; 07-20-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:03 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

I have been on it also. Had the roomette. Regular coach seats are better IMO. Also $100 cheaper. The bigger room I was in with wife was ok but not worth the money if not with my 4 star wife. Food is compatible to 1st class airline food. 18 hrs not bad.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad your train trip was good. I have some friends that went up on the train just a few weeks ago. His bike was damaged. rear bags were rubbed until the corners were completely flat and his front fender was completely dented in. And yes, they did the strapping with their straps.

How was the rest of the trip?

Old 07-19-2015, 12:47 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

The trip was good, it was cold until Western TN, we had one day of all day rain but not torrential, cold enough for about 5 layers of clothes though.

Rode the Skyline, Blue Ridge (some), Route 221 to Asheville, Dragon, Cherohala, around Chattanooga, into Alabama (great roads) to the Fl Panhandle and home via 98 to Wildwood and down the Turnpike. About 2500 miles in all.

I will be pickier when it comes to who I ride with in future - passenger princesses, below speed limit riders, people who can't be ready at the appointed time in the mornings and who take forever to get back on their bike at every gas or rest stop, are not good riding partners.

Last edited by uklauren; 07-19-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:48 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Excellent write up. Love the detail.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:31 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Tied down ready to load

Old 07-19-2015, 05:35 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Old 07-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Great report Lauren!

I had a great sleep in the regular seats, train was pretty empty and those seats were great. But being a woman I could see how you may not like sleeping out in the open.

You are so correct, your riding partners are critical, it's just rude when folks are late.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:24 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Glad you had a good trip. We took the train last year, and I'd concur with your review of the roommette, not the best, but adequate.

Finding good riding partners is hard. That's why I prefer to ride alone, especially on long trips.

We were in NC last week and didn't want to come home. I like the 70's up in the mountains. The more time I spend out of FL, the more is dislike it. My wife and decided we're almost certainly retiring out of FL.

Quick Reply: Auto Train Sanford to Lorton Report