"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Key West Poker Run/Bikeweek 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

How was the poker run?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Joe_G
How was the poker run?
my honey and I rode down Thursday got there about 5:30 just in time for the pub crawl, which was a blast Friday and Saturday rode up and down the keys there was a lot of people lots of bikes had a really good time, I would suggest if you've never been it's worth the trip at least once

Old 09-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by nick68
my honey and I rode down Thursday got there about 5:30 just in time for the pub crawl, which was a blast Friday and Saturday rode up and down the keys there was a lot of people lots of bikes had a really good time, I would suggest if you've never been it's worth the trip at least once
I love the ride down there...but went on a Saturday on my Road King back in March 2014...sat in bumper to bumper in Key Largo for 1 hour+...that was no fun at all. It was like the Toys for Tots run, baking hot in the sun and not moving. About mid-point (forgot which key) it broke loose and was great thereafter down to Key west. The fear of traffic has kept me from going - I would have enjoyed a Saturday ride down, Sunday back.

That was my fear about this run. I think you did well going down Thursday. When did you return? I came back early Sunday morning and it was an awesome ride.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I love the ride down there...but went on a Saturday on my Road King back in March 2014...sat in bumper to bumper in Key Largo for 1 hour+...that was no fun at all. It was like the Toys for Tots run, baking hot in the sun and not moving. About mid-point (forgot which key) it broke loose and was great thereafter down to Key west. The fear of traffic has kept me from going - I would have enjoyed a Saturday ride down, Sunday back.

That was my fear about this run. I think you did well going down Thursday. When did you return? I came back early Sunday morning and it was an awesome ride.

we rode back Sunday morning, didn't get out as early as we wanted to, too much party on Saturday night, we left about 9:30 in the morning traffic was a little tight but not too bad we ended up getting home about 7

Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Did anyone see what the lowest hand was that qualified for the final Texas Hold' em hand? I didn't even turn in my card with 2 pair Aces over Kings.

The weather was almost perfect. The traffic was about what is expected on a typical weekend in the keys.

I've gone down for the Poker Run for years.
It has changed over time but still a great time.

The bike show was really weak. The weakest I've seen.
I really think some guys entered their bikes in the show just so they could park on the same block as Sloppy Joes.

The other thing that has changed is the fad of the super loud stereos on bikes. Saturday night after 9:00 it was just one bike after another showing off how loud their stereos were. Damn, they have some money tied up in their sound systems. At times walking up Duval was as loud as standing in front of the speakers inside Sloppy Joes.

No trailers to speak of, but... BUT, a bunch of pick-up trucks with bikes in the bed. Guys, it is 130 miles from the mainland to Key West... and you need a truck to carry your bike???

And who in the hell is Cartel Baggers? I would say 1 out of every 20 riders had a Cartel Baggers T-shirt on (no exaggeration). As best as I could tell from the Net, they sell t-shirts and cigars. Riding out of the keys I pointed out to my wife a Cartel Bagger sticker on a Hyundai (LOL).

The police were totally cool as always. If you got stopped, you really had to have earned it.

I will be back again next year.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I've noticed my local hangout gets a few super loud stereo bikes as well. Yeech. Not my thing.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Duval was absolutely packed after dark on Saturday night. Wall to wall people in the street.

Adam and Eve had a line from the third floor all the way down the stairs out onto the sidewalk with people waiting to get in.

Over all the crowd was well behaved. A few Ta-tas did make an appearance strolling on Duval St. later in the evening.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-24-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:31 AM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hubs and I had a great time this year. Even though the weather was forecast to be crappy, we didn't get wet at all, except in the pool. We rode straight down Friday a.m. and had lunch at the Conch Republic at 02:00 p.m. We checked into the hotel after that and partied all weekend. We left a little later than usual Sunday a.m. and made it home to Plantation by 1:45 p.m. with only one stop in Homestead for gas/ice tea break.

Friday night the madness was very entertaining. I usually love taking pics of the bikes, but didn't take many this year.

I think the bike show suffered b/c Big Bike Riders did not host it.

Saturday night, we did a quick walk through the madness after a delicious dinner at Deuces Off the Hook. (Waitress was a complete c-word although the Hogfish was perfect!)

I sure do wish I could imitate the Key Lime Shooters served by Hogs Breath!

And if you're a big breakfast eater, next year try the Corned Beef Hash breakfast at McConnell's Irish Pub! It's the real deal--not canned crapola! :-)