"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Ride Smart Florida Survey

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:06 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts
Default Ride Smart Florida Survey

http://mc.mipiusf.org/

Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Dang, Lauren, a survey then a petition to change motorcycle laws. I strongly believe in safety especially new riders but I was one of those back in the day that opposed helmet laws too. Say NO to more government regulation!

lol

Old 09-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for posting that Lauren. I am a HUGE supporter of rider training, like the Ride like a Pro class you took (I watched the DVDS but want to take it as well). I think well trained riders that can handle their motorcycle in an emergency stand a much better chance of avoiding an accident. Knowing how to ride in traffic (proper lane placement, escape route, attention to folks going to turn in front of you) is tantamount to safety in my opinion and so many riders seem to not have any idea that it's a bad idea to ride next to a semi, for example. I made it clear in my survey that rider education is important.

And while you will not catch me without a helmet (except maybe on the Loop Road where the speed limit is 15 heading to Lucky Cole's), I do NOT want FL to get a helmet law again so I made sure to make that clear in my survey.

I have no idea if this survey will matter to legislators, but if you want the right to decide on helmets, it's a good idea to express your opinion in this survey!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:57 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

lol Joe...I did express that too in the survey. Imagine that!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
lol Joe...I did express that too in the survey. Imagine that!
Do you wear one Tampa FB?

I hate wearing a helmet but I would be here typing this if I hadn't been when I wrecked...man that helmet took a hit. I still got a concussion. So I suck it up. And my 12 year old lectures me to always wear it. not kidding. lol

But I for some reason really think folks ought to decide for themselves.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Depends, up on the super slab and cross country, yes. Backroads out visiting, nah.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:38 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Yes I also stated that I didn't want helmet laws changed in Fl. I wear one 95% of the time sometimes I don't feel like wearing one.
When I rode back into Florida from a week of VA, NC, TN and AL this summer and stopped for gas I took mine off and rode a few hours without it. I like the choice.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
... And my 12 year old lectures me to always wear it...
Not to derail this thread, but your 12 year old looks like he is waiting for the day to ride his own bike.

Now back to our program...I also stated the need to not bring back the helmet law. Also the need to do a better job in construction zones with the uneven pavement. The edge traps around here are getting ridiculous.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by larsfum
Not to derail this thread, but your 12 year old looks like he is waiting for the day to ride his own bike.

Now back to our program...I also stated the need to not bring back the helmet law. Also the need to do a better job in construction zones with the uneven pavement. The edge traps around here are getting ridiculous.
Oh he's got one.

I realized this is one of those 1% times I didn't wear a helmet...but we kept it below 15 mph!

Old 09-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I also don't know why now it seems many highways are being grooved...I hate that. Luckily my fat 16" tire doesn't catch them too badly but I still don't like it and when it rains it makes me very nervous. I forgot to mention that!

Quick Reply: Ride Smart Florida Survey