"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

HD Adjustable Rider's Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:42 PM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Tina I have the option and I really like it. I think you'll be pleased as well.

I do think you and Lauren should take a ride to Cafe 27! lol
I think I'm pretty much sold on the adjustable backrest, now just to see who has the best prices...

I'll definitely need to do a ride down south at some point.

~Tina~

Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by crump13
I think I'm pretty much sold on the adjustable backrest, now just to see who has the best prices...

I'll definitely need to do a ride down south at some point.

~Tina~
Get the part number and try both of these places:

http://www.surdyke.com

and

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com

Both are about 20% off list and normally free shipping, sometimes one is a little cheaper than the other, it varies. Both are good companies to deal with. Only downside is both have a restocking fee if you have to return something but I suspect any Harley dealer does (my local one has waived it for me before).

Old 10-26-2015, 08:55 PM
crump13
Tourer

Get the part number and try both of these places:

http://www.surdyke.com

and

http://www.boardtrackerharleyonline.com

Both are about 20% off list and normally free shipping, sometimes one is a little cheaper than the other, it varies. Both are good companies to deal with. Only downside is both have a restocking fee if you have to return something but I suspect any Harley dealer does (my local one has waived it for me before).
Thanks, looks like Boardtracker has the best deal on the mount and backrest... $273 shipped.

~Tina~

Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 AM
crump13
Tourer

ok, update on my backrest... I got the adjustable backrest and installed it about two weeks ago and have done a few rides and love it!! I'm glad I went the adjustable route.

Now I have a set of V&H Twin Slash Oval Monster Slip-ons on the way to install as well as the custom dynamics fillerz lights and the HD Chrome and Rubber Small Heated grips (this will be an interesting install from what I have read and reading the installation instructions I found online, wish me luck on this one).

Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by crump13
ok, update on my backrest... I got the adjustable backrest and installed it about two weeks ago and have done a few rides and love it!! I'm glad I went the adjustable route.

Now I have a set of V&H Twin Slash Oval Monster Slip-ons on the way to install as well as the custom dynamics fillerz lights and the HD Chrome and Rubber Small Heated grips (this will be an interesting install from what I have read and reading the installation instructions I found online, wish me luck on this one).
Good deal, I thought you would like it.

If you have any biker friends that are handy, have a "mod party". I used to have some buds and we would get together on a Saturday night to spin a few wrenches and yarns it was a lot of fun. Of course post up any questions here...if you post up a thread for tips on the grips install you'll get some tips I'm sure.

I've swapped grips a few times, here are my tips:

1. Put a big towel down under the handlebar. Then when the tiny cable ferrules drop they won't bounce, then roll under something, but rather they'll drop and stay put on the towel. Cause you're going to drop them despite your best efforts. Wait, you have throttle by wire so I don't know if this pertains to you.

2. If your left grip isn't held by the left control pod (HD grips are, not sure about the ones you bought), I like to use hair spray to hold the grip on. It lasts about a year then you'll notice a little movement and you'll need to take it off and respray. I don't like to use the grip glue that is so stuck you have to destroy the grip to get it off. I want the option to swap grips from time to time if it fancies me.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:41 AM
crump13
Tourer

Good deal, I thought you would like it.

If you have any biker friends that are handy, have a "mod party". I used to have some buds and we would get together on a Saturday night to spin a few wrenches and yarns it was a lot of fun. Of course post up any questions here...if you post up a thread for tips on the grips install you'll get some tips I'm sure.

I've swapped grips a few times, here are my tips:

1. Put a big towel down under the handlebar. Then when the tiny cable ferrules drop they won't bounce, then roll under something, but rather they'll drop and stay put on the towel. Cause you're going to drop them despite your best efforts. Wait, you have throttle by wire so I don't know if this pertains to you.

2. If your left grip isn't held by the left control pod (HD grips are, not sure about the ones you bought), I like to use hair spray to hold the grip on. It lasts about a year then you'll notice a little movement and you'll need to take it off and respray. I don't like to use the grip glue that is so stuck you have to destroy the grip to get it off. I want the option to swap grips from time to time if it fancies me.
I have a buddy that will help me with the heated grip install. The V&H and Custom Dynamics Fillerz are both pretty straight forward installs and I'll do those on my own.

Thanks for the suggestions on the towel, no matter how careful you are you always drop something and end up spending way too much time looking for it on the garage floor. :-)

These grips are glueless ones so no need to worry about that part.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Rhettm
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm planning on riding the north county, up around Dade City this Sunday if you're interested. Heading out around 7:30ish.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:00 AM
crump13
Tourer

Hi Rhettm, the Manatee River HOG chapter has a ride on Sunday going to a BBQ joint in Lake Wales for lunch and I was thinking about going on that ride. This would be my first ride with that chapter and I'm looking to get to know those folks but so far like the folks here too and want to meet up and ride with the people here. I do like the roads up in Pasco and Hernando county area. Where are you heading out from and what are you thinking for your ride?

Old 12-12-2015, 05:19 AM
Rhettm
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in Citrus Park, so I usually head up through Trilby, come back around through the Green Swamp and back down. About 200 miles all together. Back around noon. I usually stop at the McDonalds at 54 and 41 in Land O'Lakes and head out from there. If anyone is interested, it would be cool to have someone to ride with.

Last edited by Rhettm; 12-12-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:44 PM
crump13
Tourer

I am just getting in from my day so I will definitely not be making a 730am ride on Sunday. Hopefully I will be able to make your next one. :-)