"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

HD Adjustable Rider's Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 01:29 PM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default HD Adjustable Rider's Backrest

I am new to the Harley family but I have been riding for many years. I purchased my 2015 Ultra Low in Aug and I am looking to add a backrest. I have been looking at the HD adjustable one but before purchasing I was wondering if any local folks have it on their bike and maybe we could meet up and I can see how I like it and maybe sit on the bike to see how it feels before I bite the bullet and purchase.

I'm also looking to add Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut Monster Ovals (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/va...er/part/V16765 ) (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/V16765.jpg) as well and if anyone has those with stock header pipes I would LOVE to hear them and get your thoughts and review of them before purchasing them.

I'm also looking to ride and meet up with other riders in the area. I live in the Tampa bay area in southern Hillsborough county. I am planning on checking out the Brandon HOG Chapter as well as the Manatee River HOG Chapter in the next month.

~Tina~

Old 10-23-2015, 01:38 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

A friend of mine has the adjustable backrest on his trike. Frankly, I find it a bit hokey. I have the fixed backrest on my '14 Ultra and love it. While it is not adjustable fore and aft like the one you mention, it does have 2 or 3 positions up/down. Also, the fixed one is so easy to install, anyone who knows how to operate a screwdriver and wrench can self-install it.

Regarding group riding, I suggest locating your local HOG chapter [usually associated with a local dealership].

Good luck and stay safe.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:50 PM
crump13
Tourer

Originally Posted by sailmotion
A friend of mine has the adjustable backrest on his trike. Frankly, I find it a bit hokey. I have the fixed backrest on my '14 Ultra and love it. While it is not adjustable fore and aft like the one you mention, it does have 2 or 3 positions up/down. Also, the fixed one is so easy to install, anyone who knows how to operate a screwdriver and wrench can self-install it.

Regarding group riding, I suggest locating your local HOG chapter [usually associated with a local dealership].

Good luck and stay safe.

I am curious on how stable the backrest is which is why I want to see it and try it before purchasing it. I'm torn between the HD fixed backrest and the adjustable one. Actually they are both adjustable, it's just one is adjustable with the lever on the fly and the other you need to remove the seat to get it adjusted.

Thanks for your feedback.

~Tina~

Old 10-23-2015, 03:21 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Tina, we do have our annual Ocala Rally coming next month. There are quite a few riders who are local who will just meet-up with us for the rides and to hang-out in the evenings. Or you can join us and get a room. The information can be found in our sub-forum.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:22 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I have the HD seat with adjustable backrest on my bike, you operate a lever and you can adjust how much you can lean back.

Unlike my cars where I never adjust the seats, I adjust the bike seat quite often while riding just to mix it up. It's a very handy feature that I use all the time. It's very solid, it flips forward to allow a passenger on or removes pretty easily as well.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

My local Ft. Lauderdale dealership allows you to try seats on to see if you like them before you buy - you might see if your local dealership does the same?

Oh and welcome to the forum! Hope some folks local to you chime in.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:45 PM
crump13
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ycbrewster
Tina, we do have our annual Ocala Rally coming next month. There are quite a few riders who are local who will just meet-up with us for the rides and to hang-out in the evenings. Or you can join us and get a room. The information can be found in our sub-forum.
Thanks, I see if I can squeeze in some time to head that way for the day during the Rally. It would be cool to meet up with some of the Florida folks and hopefully there will be a few from the Tampa Bay area. :-)

~Tina~

Old 10-23-2015, 03:52 PM
crump13
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I have the HD seat with adjustable backrest on my bike, you operate a lever and you can adjust how much you can lean back.

Unlike my cars where I never adjust the seats, I adjust the bike seat quite often while riding just to mix it up. It's a very handy feature that I use all the time. It's very solid, it flips forward to allow a passenger on or removes pretty easily as well.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

My local Ft. Lauderdale dealership allows you to try seats on to see if you like them before you buy - you might see if your local dealership does the same?

Oh and welcome to the forum! Hope some folks local to you chime in.
Thanks Joe, I was thinking the same thing at first... how often would i need to adjust it... but after thinking about it, I can see the need to adjust it occasionally to adjust sitting positions and it would be nice to be able to do that on the fly and not have to take off the seat to do it.

I hope to come across someone local that has one but if not i might just have to bite the bullet and just order it and hope i like it. I know the local HD dealers has seats to test out but I haven't seen any that has the backrest and i can't imagine many will as it takes you physically installing it one your bike to see how you like it, where as a seat quick to put on and take off.

Thanks again,

~Tina~

Old 10-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Well, if you ever feel like a Sunday road trip I go to the bike show most Sundays at Cafe 27...a bit of a ride for you but the weather is nice these days. You are welcome to check mine out, and we could put it on your bike to see what you think.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:30 PM
crump13
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Well, if you ever feel like a Sunday road trip I go to the bike show most Sundays at Cafe 27...a bit of a ride for you but the weather is nice these days. You are welcome to check mine out, and we could put it on your bike to see what you think.
Joe, that is a bit of a ride but I have been known to do crazier things so you never know, I might just take you up on that offer if there isn't someone local that chimes in. If I get a chance to head up to the Ocala rally, there might be someone there that might have one for me to see as well.

Thanks,

~Tina~

Old 10-23-2015, 06:05 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

^^^ You'll welcome anytime, just let me know! Maybe we can get Lauren to ride down too.

Quick Reply: HD Adjustable Rider's Backrest