"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Motorcycle Camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a motorcycle only campground just off the BRP on 276 called Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground. They have decent bath houses, laundry facilities, and an on site "restaurant" and cabins. It is a great place! They have rules that must be followed or else.... it is a great place. Google it. From Jacksonville it is 470 miles when taking 95 to 26.
I usually go up there around the 2nd week of August and it seems like there is less traffic up there. Daytime temps in the upper 70's and nighttime temps in the mid 60's.
When I go I usually do side trips to the waterfalls, and to whiteside mountain it has the highest vertical cliff east of the Mississippi river at 750'. Peregrine falcons are commonly seen here.
Have fun and be safe.
If you don't mind riding with a sportster let me know. I might be able to get time off work.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:53 PM
hillbillywhisperer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't do tents. Well, let me put it this way. This is the only kind of tent I camp in.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:13 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hillbillywhisperer
I don't do tents. Well, let me put it this way. This is the only kind of tent I camp in.

You really don't know what you are missing. My trip last summer was awesome. Meet some great people.. Who were also in tents. But to each their own...lol... Nice RV.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree Murph.

I camped a lot as a boy (Boy Scouts) and as a young adult with my buddies. I love tent camping. My wife (then girlfriend) did it once and that was it for her. Did it last year at bike week, first time in decades.

I do like to have place to shower now, my days of cleaning off in a lake are well behind me.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:39 PM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

It seems to me that this is defeating the object somewhat, AND, I'm guessing that you don't tow it with your bike? That again spoils the idea of attending a motorcycle rally/trip and you loose the "craic" and comradeship of a run.

TD

Old 12-14-2015, 03:27 PM
hillbillywhisperer
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T D
It seems to me that this is defeating the object somewhat, AND, I'm guessing that you don't tow it with your bike? That again spoils the idea of attending a motorcycle rally/trip and you loose the "craic" and comradeship of a run.

TD
I don't tow it with my bike but I do tow the trailer with my bike in it.

Don't get wrong. I use to tent it but living in Florida it is just too dang hot and that is generally where we camp except for the once a year or so trip to the mountains and I would have no problem attending a rally if it were not too hot and stay in a tent.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
There is a motorcycle only campground just off the BRP on 276 called Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground. They have decent bath houses, laundry facilities, and an on site "restaurant" and cabins. It is a great place! They have rules that must be followed or else.... it is a great place. Google it. From Jacksonville it is 470 miles when taking 95 to 26.
I usually go up there around the 2nd week of August and it seems like there is less traffic up there. Daytime temps in the upper 70's and nighttime temps in the mid 60's.
When I go I usually do side trips to the waterfalls, and to whiteside mountain it has the highest vertical cliff east of the Mississippi river at 750'. Peregrine falcons are commonly seen here.
Have fun and be safe.
If you don't mind riding with a sportster let me know. I might be able to get time off work.
I've been going there for years, it's a great place with great riding. I stay in the cabins though. You still have to use the shower house/bathrooms but you're sleeping in a bed under roof.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:59 PM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

I don't tow it with my bike but I do tow the trailer with my bike in it.

Don't get wrong. I use to tent it but living in Florida it is just too dang hot and that is generally where we camp except for the once a year or so trip to the mountains and I would have no problem attending a rally if it were not too hot and stay in a tent.
Pleased to hear it. Living in the UK, I just can't get my head around the idea that "it is just too dang hot."
From my point of view, if you've done the alcohol content to the correct standard, then it won't matter how "dang hot" it is coz you just crash!
However, I do understand the idea coz I really suffered with the heat during the day on our holiday over there earlier this year.
Hope that you enjoy the rally whether you tent or van it!

TD

Old 12-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be interested Murph.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:35 AM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My bff is just outside of Winston-Salem, and I've been promising to visit. I've also been wanting to check out Asheville and maybe visit the Biltmore (I've never been to either). Tents don't interest me, but I don't mind cabins and shared facilities. Thundermug, I'm thinking if there's a group with a Sportster in it, a Street 750 could be in it, too?

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Camping