"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Motorcycle Camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:22 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I agree Murph.

I camped a lot as a boy (Boy Scouts) and as a young adult with my buddies. I love tent camping. My wife (then girlfriend) did it once and that was it for her. Did it last year at bike week, first time in decades.

I do like to have place to shower now, my days of cleaning off in a lake are well behind me.
Oh, trust me I need a place to shower when I travel. I just really like meeting other bikers and spending time enjoying some "mountain dew" telling stories around a community fire.

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
I would be interested Murph.
Let's plan it. I have a general route set up. Give me a call and we can work out the details. Did you get a chance to check out that route planning site?

Originally Posted by Ycbrewster
My bff is just outside of Winston-Salem, and I've been promising to visit. I've also been wanting to check out Asheville and maybe visit the Biltmore (I've never been to either). Tents don't interest me, but I don't mind cabins and shared facilities. Thundermug, I'm thinking if there's a group with a Sportster in it, a Street 750 could be in it, too?
You are more than welcome to come. I probably will not being staying in cabins. I think I have my tent (home) all set up. Last year taught me a few things.

I can't wait to do some camping in the mountains off my bike again. I can't stop thinking about how much fun I have last year.

Last edited by murph; 12-17-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:39 PM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
I think I have my tent (home) all set up. Last year taught me a few things.

I can't wait to do some camping in the mountains off my bike again. I can't stop thinking about how much fun I have last year.
I would be interested in hearing your experiences from last year and your setup now base on those experiences. As I posted before, I'm in the process of gathering motorcycle friendly camping gear (compact but functional). :-)

Old 12-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I got everything I needed for camping at Wal Mart...except a chair suitable to pack on a motorcycle.

I'd be interested in learning what others use.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:49 PM
crump13
Tourer

Here is what I have...

Camping Chair - Height adjustable and foldable Camping Chair - Height adjustable and foldable
This chair is very compact. They sell similar chairs on ebay for a bit cheaper but they didn't look like the were height adjustable like this one. It is surprisenly comfortable to sit in.

Tent - 9x7 Ozark Trail Dome Tent

Sleeping Bag Sleeping Bag

Camping Pillow Camping Pillow

Air Mattress

8X10 Tarp, air pump and other small camping odds and ends but the above is most of the bulky stuff.

I can pack all this in the tourpak liner bag that came with my bike.

Last edited by crump13; 04-16-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks Tina.... Do you happen to know the length of the chair when its folded? I couldn't see that. I'm not sure how I'll pack a chair on my Springer.

Of course manly man that I am, I carry an axe and cut down a tree and sit on the stump. But a chair would be quicker.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 PM
crump13
Tourer

Thanks Tina.... Do you happen to know the length of the chair when its folded? I couldn't see that. I'm not sure how I'll pack a chair on my Springer.

Of course manly man that I am, I carry an axe and cut down a tree and sit on the stump. But a chair would be quicker.
Here are the deminsions Assembled size 20.5"W x 19.7"D x 26.4"H. Packed size 13.4"W x 3.9"D x 4.2"H. Seat height 13.5"-15.5"

It can fit in my saddle bags as well.

Last edited by crump13; 12-17-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for that! How did I miss it. The 13" long is the dimension I have to worry about. I'll check my bags.

Thanks again for the tip!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Viking Bags
Former Sponsor
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I camped at Bike Week last year and God willing and the creek don't rise (which looking out my window this morning isn't a good bet) I will again this year.

A Springer friend of mine tours the country each summer on his bike, camping where the wind blows him. He put together this checklist for Bike camping that I like and I thought someone else might make use of it. I don't bring everything he does..but check out the linked pics to see how it fits it all in.
That's a pretty extensive list of gear you got there. It's always been in the plans to take a quick weekend ( 200 mile ride ) away to Joshua tree national park and camp out there. For those smaller weekend trips, I think you can sneak away with having little less than half of the stuff on that list.

For the camping chair, I got a tiny little expandable one with no backrest. It's dimensions are little less than 14" long. Perfect to strap along the backrest or sissy bar bag. It'll stick out a little bit but not a big deal breaker. If you guys are looking for some good quality luggage to go cross country with... dont count out our hard saddlebags. you can pack them to the brim with no problem. Also, we have some high capacity sissy bar bags that are hard to beat.. Check us out. http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-saddlebags.htm

Old 12-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

^^^ that's a Viking bag in my picture. I love it, super high quality and outstanding price.

I did a nice recommendation for you on your website. Thanks for a terrific product!

Old 12-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

A lot of noticeable posts in here on this subject. My thoughts once the P-pad and sissy bar installed for luggage all I need are a small tarp, sleepin bag, roll of butt-wipe, and a one cup coffee maker, to get me to the motel > laffs

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Camping