"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Motorcycle Camping

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:15 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Motorcycle Camping

I was thinking about doing another camping trip to the mountains this summer. Would there be anyone interested in joining me.

And,, Yes camping. No hotels. That means tents....lol I know....

I'm just asking. I did it that year and had a blast. Meet some nice people and rode some great roads.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:04 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I'm too old for tents

Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be interested if I can find the time off to go. Let me know your dates and I will see what I can work out.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:42 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member

June or July. I would rather do early June, but i'm flexible. No real plans, just asking.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 PM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I did some camping on my trip this year out west and it was nice to add in the camping element into the trip. I have been purchasing motorcycle friendly camping gear (small foldable camping chair, small sleeping bag, small tent...) that I can easily pack on the bike so i can continue to add the camping element in to my future trips.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I camped at Bike Week last year and God willing and the creek don't rise (which looking out my window this morning isn't a good bet) I will again this year.

A Springer friend of mine tours the country each summer on his bike, camping where the wind blows him. He put together this checklist for Bike camping that I like and I thought someone else might make use of it. I don't bring everything he does..but check out the linked pics to see how it fits it all in.

Originally Posted by gtmalone
Here's stuff I've learned on road trips. Adjust to fit your trip (trip length, expected weather, etc). Hope you find it useful. Let me know if you have anything to add.

Scooter prep
- Check for loose stuff – bolts, nuts
- Check/clean electrical connectors that you can reach easily especially the ignition switch
- Check/clean battery connections
- Check/clean that cluster of ground wires next to the battery
- Check spark plugs, clean/gap or replace
- Check tires for cuts or bad spots and pressure
- Check wheels for loose spokes or other problems
- Check brake pads
- Check drive belt tension and condition
- Change all fluids and engine oil filter
- Clean/change air filter
- Clean/change external breather filter (if so equipped)
- Check/fix any oil/gas leaks
- Clean/treat leather stuff
- Check all lights
- Check/adjust headlight and passing light aim
- Wash and polish that Sweet Heritage Springer. Nothing like a clean scooter to start off a trip!

Packing stuff for the bike
Take tools to tighten stuff that might get loose, needs adjusting, or stuff that breaks you can fix on the side of the road such as: drive belt tension, clutch and clutch cable, throttle cables, highway pegs, saddle bags, mufflers, burned out light bulbs, etc.

- Tools
phillips and flat screwdrivers
combination wrenches as needed – 1/2, 9/16, 3/4, 15/16 (axle nut), 10mm (battery), two 5/16 or 8mm (throttle cable adjust)
offset box end wrenches as needed – 1/2 x 9/16 and 5/8 x 11/16 (clutch adjust)
ratchet – 3/8, 1/2 drive (axle nut)
sockets as needed – hex, torx, allen - All of these can be put on a socket rail.
allen wrenches – as needed
slip joint pliers
small vise grips
diagonal cutters
utility knife
electrical tape
tie wraps – small and large
small can of WD40
Q-tips (clean electrical connectors)
spare light bulbs – 1156, 1157 in clear and/or amber (wrap in paper towels for padding)
spare 15 amp fuses (fuse box will hold 2-3 spares)
small spool of wire 10-20ft – 18ga
mini jumper cables
length of fuel line and a couple of small hose clamps
loctite blue
spare spark plugs
spark plug gauge/gapper tool
anti-seize (spark plugs)
tire gauge
flashlights and batteries

The smaller items like allen wrenches, tie wraps, etc., can be stored in small ziploc bags.

- Bag for tools
This bag from Harbor Freight works well and is cheap. It will stand on end in the back of a saddlebag.
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch...bag-32282.html

Packing personal stuff
- Cell phone with emergency contact info obvious in the directory. Call periodically to let people know where you are and if you will be where there is no cell service.
- Leave your loved ones an itinerary of your trip with contact info. Yes, it will change but it gives an idea of where you are and who to call if they haven't heard from you in a while.
- Use a credit card for gas and food. The charges trail on the statement can also tell your loved ones where you were.
- Spare cash stored somewhere not on you. Not wise to carry hundreds of dollars in your wallet or purse.
- Emergency contact info written down (in case you can't respond)
- Registration papers and insurance card
- Insurance company contact info
- Passport if needed

- Four days clothes – one on, three in the bags
- Heavy socks
- Insulated underwear
- T-shirts, long sleeve/sweatshirt
- Leathers – jacket, chaps
- Boot straps to keep pants/chaps from riding up your legs
- Pair of sneakers
- Neck gaiter and/or balaclava
- Bandana
- doo rag
- Rain gear – jacket, pants, boot gaiters, gloves
- Gloves – light, heavy
- water (lots if riding in hot weather)
- hand towel to wet down and wrap around your neck in hot weather (really helps to keep you cool) -or- this product
http://blogmac.missionathletecare.com/multi-cool - plus keeping the sun off your neck and face.

- Spare pair of eyeglasses, clip on sunglasses
- Spare pair of sunglasses
- Spare contact lenses and solution
- Spare pair of goggles if you wear those
- Ear plugs
- Medications
- Ibuprophen or Tylenol
Leave all medications prescription and OTC in their original containers to avoid a discussion with a peace officer.
- Eye drops
- Chapstick
- Sunscreen
- Neosporin
- Band Aids
- Small roll of gauze and medical tape
- Ace bandage
- SuperGlue to close up bad cuts
- Personal hygiene stuff
deodorant (please!)
toothpaste
toothbrush
floss
shampoo instead of soap bars
nail clippers w/nail file
shaving stuff (if you feel the need)
comb or brush
- Roll of toilet paper
- Two towels (double as a pillow when camping)
mosquito repellant - DEET

- Camping gear (ultralight camping)
tent
tarp or footprint as the camping stores call it
sleeping bag
sleeping pad
stuff sack to hold camping gear
camping pillow or the afore mentioned towels

- Spare bungee cords to tie stuff on bike
- 12 volt charger socket somewhere on bike
- Charger for cellphone – 12 volt
- Camera (take LOTS of pics!)
- Rechargeable batteries and charger for camera – 12 volt (Radio Shack)
- Compass
- Road atlas, maps, or GPS - Highlight your planned route on the atlas or maps
- Print map pages from Ride Planner, Google, Mapquest, etc. for details/directions for points of interest.
- Make a list of sights to see along the way. It's easy to forget.
- Make an itinerary for overnight stops, places to stay and do laundry, and people to see with contact info.
- Notebook for journal, pens
- Extra zip lock bags
- SuperGlue to fix broken stuff

Packing tips
- Put clothes in water resistant plastic bags. These bags from JP Cycles work great and are cheap
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/8400085 Roll the top closed then fasten the latch.
- Roll clothes instead of folding – takes less space
- Use zip lock bags to organize stuff and keep it dry
- Put anything that can leak into it's own zip lock bag (like shampoo bottle)
- If you are tent camping set up your gear before the trip to refamiliarize yourself with the gear, make sure everything is there, and that the tent doesn't leak.

- Distribute weight evenly side to side in saddle bags
- Distribute weight on racks and tour paks as low as possible and closer to the center of the bike. That is, heavier stuff on the passenger seat instead of a luggage rack.

After everything is loaded on the bike, take a test ride to make sure you know how the bike feels and where it balances and that nothing falls off. Check your loads often when traveling.

- Drink plenty of water particularly in hot weather.
- Cover up in the sun and use 50+ sunblock on exposed areas. Sunburn on a trip is no fun and sun on bare skin at 65mph for a couple of hours can dry you out pretty quick.

Other personal stuff
- Check with your health insurance provider on what they will cover and what they won't when you are out of your network. Most should cover emergency stuff but will not cover non-emergency.
- Check with your cell phone provider on service coverage and additional costs if you are traveling outside the US (Yes, Canada is international). Roaming, data, extra charges for using a foreign provider. Also, some models of phones may not work on foreign provider networks - Depends on the service your phone uses - GSM, LTE, etc.
- Contact your credit card companies to let them know when and where you will be traveling so that charges won't be declined.

[color:#3333FF]Just so you know, all of the stuff listed above fits easily. See these pics: [/color] Stuff Packed

Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 AM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

That's an extensive list with a lot of good suggestions!! I'll keep that for reference when I pack for my next cross country trip. Thanks for sharing!!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member

Joe,
I had the same bag from Harbor Freight will all of my tools. And boy was it full. I found these bags which not only held all of the tools from the HF bag, but more. And I was able to gain back 100% of my saddle bag storage. These bags fit down in the void at the bottom of the saddle bags.

I like the list. Good reference

Last edited by murph; 12-04-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by crump13
That's an extensive list with a lot of good suggestions!! I'll keep that for reference when I pack for my next cross country trip. Thanks for sharing!!
Originally Posted by murph
Joe,
I had the same bag from Harbor Freight will all of my tools. And boy was it full. I found these bags which not only held all of the tools from the HF bag, but more. And I was able to gain back 100% of my saddle bag storage. These bags fit down in the void at the bottom of the saddle bags.

I like the list. Good reference
Guys I'm glad you found the value of that list like I did! I have it printed in with my Bike Camping stuff, I use it like a checklist. I was a boy scout, and live my life trying to be prepared.

Yes that bag is great - but a warning - the Softail bags like my Heritage Springer or the Heritage Softail have a 15 lb weight limit. Don't exceed it!! I did in the pic above, by only a couple of pounds, and I cracked the backs of my bags - left on the way up, switched the load then cracked the right on the way back.

But, I got good at plastic welding, Harbor Freight makes a great kit for

Last edited by Joe_G; 12-04-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Pretty extensive list, you forgot the banjo.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I camped at Bike Week last year and God willing and the creek don't rise (which looking out my window this morning isn't a good bet) I will again this year.

A Springer friend of mine tours the country each summer on his bike, camping where the wind blows him. He put together this checklist for Bike camping that I like and I thought someone else might make use of it. I don't bring everything he does..but check out the linked pics to see how it fits it all in.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Camping