"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Any green thumbs in here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 04:10 PM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Default Any green thumbs in here?

I'm curious, other than mangos and citrus trees, what else fruit baring wise, grows down here? I have quite a few plum and peach seeds plucked from the pits from fruit that I got at local farm stands. Have them wrapped in damp paper towels in the frige. Have lemon lime grape fruit and pummelo seeds germinating few already started to sprout. I would love to have apple trees again but I think they would grow to be sterile shade trees down here. I had 3 trees a Macintosh jona gold and golden delicious back in NY and didn't have any issues growing anything up there in the nutrient rich soil. Blue berry bushes that would yield berries the size of silver dollars, black caps (wild black raspberries) that bushed out like wildfire in the hot and humid summers, had a cherry tree that would yield sweet dark cherries, raspberry bushes, strawberries that would grow to be the size of my fist, monster zucchini yellow squash eggplant and tomatoes. And small cantaloupe melons. From what I have noticed there is no such thing as top soil just dark grey sand (just replaced a fence post at my mothers house) so I would assume a tiller and a few bags of top soil would be needed to grow a garden of any sort along with mulch.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:20 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Check your growing zone. You are probably zone 9 or 10 and then you'll be able to figure out what you can grow. I am further south than you and know we can grow mangos, avocados, passion fruit, Barbados cherry, citrus, papaya, pineapple etc all tropical fruits basically. You can get soft fruits developed for Zone 10, best to go to a garden center and see what they are selling there. I believe there are blueberries, strawberries, blackberries etc developed for our zones.

For tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, melons etc you need to grow these in winter but protect from chill and below 38 degree nights (there are a few sometimes).

The following users liked this post:
13FXDWG (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 04:25 PM
CBud
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Most everything I grow I start Nov 1st or layer. For instance tomatoes won't bear fruit well above 85-degrees so you can get 2 90-day crops in if you start around mid-October and re plant end of January. I started too late this year. Sticking with pineapples until fall.

The following users liked this post:
13FXDWG (06-26-2016)