"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Insurance Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 03:41 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

State Farm here also. But I have my cars with them also .

Old 09-17-2016, 08:44 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffbrorick
I didn't realize they would not do bike only. I have our house, rv, 4 cars , a trailer and the TG all with State Farm. That may be why I got a good deal on the bike

I had them quote me on house and car. My thinking was that Progressive was so high on my bike that maybe State Farm could do better if we gave them everything. They were almost $2,000 a year on the house, a little higher on the car, and cheaper on the bike. Overall my whole package with them would have been about $200 higher per year.

I may get back with them and try to do just car, bike, and maybe RV.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Would there be a reason to add motorcycle PIP/medical coverage in Florida if you are covered by health insurance?
I understand there must be a significant number of uninsured/unlicensed at fault drivers that can present a problem for you to collect.
But, it seems like paying an additional $700 to $1,900 in your case might seem like a significant amount to cover a medical deductible of maybe $10,000 (if you have health insurance).
If the insurance includes lost wages then it would require a look at what coverage you already have, like disability, life insurance and such.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:59 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I have Progressive through Harley Davidson. Every year in September when it's policy renewal time I check with Geico and Allstate and every year Progressive is cheaper. I live in Panama City and I'm sure there are ZIP codes in Florida where Geico and/or Allstate might be cheaper. Where you live is one of the biggest rate determining factors.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:20 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Thank For All The Replies

Originally Posted by im
Would there be a reason to add motorcycle PIP/medical coverage in Florida if you are covered by health insurance?
I understand there must be a significant number of uninsured/unlicensed at fault drivers that can present a problem for you to collect.
But, it seems like paying an additional $700 to $1,900 in your case might seem like a significant amount to cover a medical deductible of maybe $10,000 (if you have health insurance).
If the insurance includes lost wages then it would require a look at what coverage you already have, like disability, life insurance and such.
First of all, I would like to thank all those that replied to my question! I am currently purchasing the maximum allowable PIP coverage of $250,000 / $500,000 in the state of Florida. My "health insurance" does not have a no motor vehicle or motorcycle exclusion. I am not concerned with out of pocket medical expenses in the case of an incident.

PIP (personal injury protection) would allow for collection of funds for ALL kinds of reasons, the most common of which would be pain and suffering of which my health insurance company would not have recourse to take back. They would only get reimbursed for any funds directly obtained AS DIRECT COMPENSATION FOR EXPENSES THEY PAID FOR! The bike itself would be covered but in a catastrophic accident I'd be more interested in being able to maintain a lifestyle. I am retired and there is no formal income.

I have pretty much come up with what you have all said. Esurance, Geico and Progressive are the one's that have come up with reasonable quotes. State Farm has quoted me at over twice the rate of the highest quote of the previous 3 companies. I'll have to see what my new rate with Allstate will be.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Old 09-17-2016, 03:41 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I have been using Safeco for the last three years. They have had the lowest rate for me, and I shop every year. .

Old 09-18-2016, 02:50 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Just make sure u have uninsured motorist also . 2 friends have been hit by people with no insurance ,one even left the country. With having all my vehicles with one company they stack uninsured coverage.(only 0ay on one but the rest are covered. When I shopped around and add that to the bike it made the premium higher . And I also carry the max coverage . Do to the fact that some of the people only havethe minimal insurances.

Last edited by PRrdglide; 09-26-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:34 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Get some estimate bids. Progressive is a snap on line. $700 to $1900 is crazy high. You need the PIP outside your motorcycle insurance. That is like a cancer life insurance. The TIN men are taking advantage of you. Just my opinion however. If you have that many responsibilities that would not be covered if something was to happen to you, you probably ought to pick a safer sport. It might be flat in FL but 85% of drivers are coming home from cathartic surgery..

Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
First of all, I would like to thank all those that replied to my question! I am currently purchasing the maximum allowable PIP coverage of $250,000 / $500,000 in the state of Florida. My "health insurance" does not have a no motor vehicle or motorcycle exclusion. I am not concerned with out of pocket medical expenses in the case of an incident.

PIP (personal injury protection) would allow for collection of funds for ALL kinds of reasons, the most common of which would be pain and suffering of which my health insurance company would not have recourse to take back. They would only get reimbursed for any funds directly obtained AS DIRECT COMPENSATION FOR EXPENSES THEY PAID FOR! The bike itself would be covered but in a catastrophic accident I'd be more interested in being able to maintain a lifestyle. I am retired and there is no formal income.

I have pretty much come up with what you have all said. Esurance, Geico and Progressive are the one's that have come up with reasonable quotes. State Farm has quoted me at over twice the rate of the highest quote of the previous 3 companies. I'll have to see what my new rate with Allstate will be.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Thank you for the explanation, it was very close to my understanding of the situation.
It would seem that since you are retired and have no formal income then it might make sense in your situation if there is a concern about financial burden.
At that point then you need to think about cost and risk exposure.
$1,900 for $250,000/$500,000 might not sound so bad if you need it.
It seems like every time i have asked this question in the past:
The insurance agents always ask first about assets, dependents, liabilities, health coverage, disability coverage and life insurance coverage before responding with a suggestion as to risk exposure.
Every insurance product has a purpose.
The lawyers never ask me anything when questioned but instead respond with "carry the maximum".
Good discussion as many folks live without planning about insurance or asset management.
For example life insurance, disability insurance (probably more important than life) , health insurance, liability insurance and other insurance forms all have a purpose..
Some may have a greater need for it while others may not have a need.
Most just think "i have it with my employer" or shrug their shoulders and do not really process the situation.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:37 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default More Stuff

Originally Posted by larsfum
I have been using Safeco for the last three years. They have had the lowest rate for me, and I shop every year. .
Funny how things happen! I just got off the phone with Safeco. They decided to call me back after I had made inquiries last week. They don't do on line quotes! In the salesman's own words "Safeco is NOT very competitive in the Florida market"! That would explain why they were the next to highest priced policy I inquired about!

Originally Posted by PRrdglide
Just make sure u have uninsured motorist also . 2 friends have been hit by people with no insurance ,one even left the country. With having all my vehicles with one company they stack that coverage. When I showed around and add that to the bike it made the premium higher . And I also carry the max coverage . Do to the fact that if at least some of the people do have insurance they have the least they can get away with.
If I understood correctly, in Florida, if you have your cars (more than one) stacked AND you have uninsured motorist PIP on those cars then the uninsured motorist PIP IS AUTOMATICALLY CARRIED OVER TO YOUR "TOYS" (i.e. ATV's, boats, MOTORCYCLES, etc.) WITHOUT HAVING TO STACK THEM! In other words, you would need to know how much more the additional cost of stacking the cars is vs. purchasing PIP on the bike! According to Allstate, PIP is automatically carried over to toys WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY FOR IT, if you have stacking and PIP on your cars!

Now, that being said, it would cost me more to stack my cars than it would just to purchase PIP on the bike. You should look into that! I don't think you need to pay for stacking the bike if you already pay to stack your cars, at least in Florida!

Quick Reply: Insurance Time