"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Destination Daytona question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 09:08 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I'm going to be over in Orlando for a few days next week and will have a free afternoon. Is Destination Daytona worth the drive over from there or would it just be a waste of gas and time? What say yooz?
Rather limited information.
Cage or bike?
Worth the drive? depends..about an hour + each way from Orlando.
It is a large piece of land...kinda sorta like an older mall on a big chunk of land.
When it is NOT bike week or when there is NO bike event the area is kinda dead and has the warmth of a huge car lot.
A lot of space but dead during non-event times.
When dead you can then see how worn the area really looks and it gives the feeling that business area is gasping for air.
It is a large dealer that carries the same bikes other dealers carry but in larger quantities.
There are some condo's on the property that are a bit worn.
There is a bar and a few other places that are motorcycle related.
The J & P cycle shop buried deep in the back of the property is good if you want an alternative to harley branded parts and to see the physical catalog store.
Then past that area was the mechanic school that seems to be a really dead area.
Worth the drive? depends..in a cage NO but if you are on a bike then OK.
On the bike it would be nice to take the back roads in from Orlando but it will take more than an hour.
After seeing the dealer then you can ride past the nearby (less than 10 minute ride) Iron Horse and Broken Spoke bars and see how it differs from bike week pictures when dead (non-event weeks).
Huge difference when dead (those bars look like they are out of business and forgotten when dead).
Then ride past the outside of daytona speedway, ride the small main street, see the ocean, see how people drive on the sandy beach, ride the "daytona loop road ride" that bikers take in that area.
Maybe ride to Ponce inlet light house area for lunch/dinner on water.
During bike week Destination Daytona is like going to a carnival at night with all the lights,rides, sounds and people (to be clear there is NO carnival just the feeling).
If there is no bike event then it is like going to the same carnival during the day but all the rides are closed, all the lights are off, no music, almost no people and only a few games of skill are operating.
In a cage...only if you were on I-95 and were going to pass it anyway.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:49 AM
scottbob99
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I went during Biketober Fest. Glad I went, seeing the dealer and J&P is worth it IMHO.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I'll probably do the drive. I'm not really a Harley dealer, touristy kind of guy. I just keep hearing about the place so I was thinking about having a look-see. My main interest was J&P and then head over to the Iron Horse for a couple of T-shirts.

Yeah, I've seen Daytona during Bike Week & Biketoberfest probably 30 or more times. Also seen it after an event week - pretty much a ghost town. Empty shops, "empty streets, the sun goes down alone" kind of place. I wonder if I might like living there.

Thanks for the responses and the info folks.

Last edited by Hey Man; 11-11-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Muffbrorick
Tourer
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

they have some really nice older bikes in the dealership that make it worth a visit. I especially like the old servi-cars they have there